It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:52 am

Cardiff Bay/Mermaid Quay developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

lucky

Re: Cardiff Bay/Mermaid Quay developments

PostMon Feb 16, 2015 10:23 pm

I also noticed today that a Portuguese bakery is moving in opposite Magic Wraps and next to The Packet. I have no idea what a Portuguese Bakery stocks but fresh baked goods would be a nice addition to the Quay.

RandomComment

PostMon Feb 16, 2015 11:16 pm

Re Café Rouge: I don't think their steak can be microwaved - which is perhaps why it is OK.

Interesting about the Portuguese bakery... the most famous thing they sell are the little egg custard tarts, sweeter than the standard British ones. There seems to be a mini trend for foreign bakeries in Cardiff. There are plans for a "Danish bakery" in the Canton/Pontcanna borderlands.

lucky

PostTue Feb 17, 2015 11:29 am

The Portuguese bakery is called "Nata" after the tarts, so I have hopes they will be on the menu. The ones at Coffee #1 with raspberries in are lovely.

JamesWales

PostTue Feb 17, 2015 3:27 pm

Café Nata is an absolutely superb bakery on Clifton Street. It is probably the best value bakery in the City, and the food is fantastic. It's precisely the kind of thing the Bay needs.

In a similar vein, I went into Sunflower and I on Mount Stuart Square on the weekend - again, a superb venue, really quirky and definitely worth a visit.

lucky

PostTue Feb 17, 2015 6:03 pm

Looked up Nata & Co and while they don't have a website of their own, this has photos of their range. I'm salivating with anticipation now.
http://gourmetgorro.blogspot.co.uk/2013 ... plott.html

Sunflower & I used to be round the corner on Bute Street but didn't get much business there, I hope this new venue works for them but it's even more off the beaten track. It would be great if it flourished.
(edited to add comment)

lucky

PostSat Feb 21, 2015 11:13 am

Went into Sunflower & I yesterday, good coffee and they are expanding their food range - I suspect the cafe bar element is taking off over and above the floristry. They are planning evening events. Very quirky but comfortable furnishings.

Ash

PostSat Feb 21, 2015 2:33 pm

lucky wrote:Went into Sunflower & I yesterday, good coffee and they are expanding their food range - I suspect the cafe bar element is taking off over and above the floristry. They are planning evening events. Very quirky but comfortable furnishings.

I wish them luck but they'll need to work hard to attract people. Until the Coal Exchange is sorted out businesses in West Bute Street and Mount Stuart Square are bound to struggle.

Elsewhere, it's rumoured Chapter have won a tender to operate a cafe/bar on the ground floor of GloWorks in Porth Teigr. The suggestion that it's a tender rather than a commercial let presumably means it's designed primarily for GloWorks tenants and the BBC.

lucky

PostSat Feb 21, 2015 4:15 pm

I think it will be years before the Coal Exchange is properly "sorted out", but already there are a couple more businesses that have moved in to the usable wing and lots of working meetings being held there; every bit of traffic in that area helps.

Ash

PostSat Feb 21, 2015 5:20 pm

lucky wrote:I think it will be years before the Coal Exchange is properly "sorted out", but already there are a couple more businesses that have moved in to the usable wing and lots of working meetings being held there; every bit of traffic in that area helps.

Any sign of anything happening with Saint Stephen's / The Point? I know it was bought by a Shiite group a few years back - but the last time I walked past it looked to be deteriorating.

lucky

PostSat Feb 21, 2015 10:06 pm

It was still being used as a community centre/mosque a few months ago according to a taxi driver.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum