It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:23 am

Penarth planning

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Bar44

Re: Penarth planning

PostWed Oct 22, 2014 2:31 pm

Good afternoon,

We have read the above article and subsequent comments with great interest and feel that perhaps we should put over Bar 44’s position and lay to bed any rumours.

Firstly, can we point out that Bar 44 has, and will always welcome competition in the food and beverage sector. It is the lifeblood of the industry and if we didn’t have increased competition on regular basis, it would not enable us to strive to improve our offering each and every day.

Secondly, we would like to clarify why we raised an objection to the original planning application by Prezzo. We do not believe the objection is in the public domain (Vale website) and inevitably people will think that it was down to us not welcoming competition – this is categorically not the case. We objected because:
a) The proposed initial refurbishment & extraction works looked as though access would be needed though our garden. We were not consulted on this, and we were concerned about the disruption to our business this access would cause.
b) The original application did not include all the necessary documentation required to secure a change of use licence. Before we opened Bar 44 in Penarth, we had to spend a lot of time and money ensuring that all the correct documentation was provided and simply felt that the same rules should be followed by everyone. Having spoken to a colleague of the landlord, he has confirmed that said documents were not uploaded onto the application.

As a result of these objections, the extraction plans have now been altered so that the necessary work will not have any detrimental effect on our day-to-day business, which we greatly appreciate. We also believe that all of the necessary documentation has now been provided. We are very satisfied with the application and look forward to welcoming Prezzo as a fantastic complimentary competitor in Penarth.

Finally, We have never met Lis Burnett, and to the best of our knowledge, are not even sure that she has ever visited either Bar 44 in Cowbridge or Penarth.

Kind Regards
Bar 44

Jantra

PostWed Oct 22, 2014 2:48 pm

redragon wrote:As I said, the LA doesn't have a say in the company or business opening, they simply consider the use. Most town centres have parades/streets that are designated as primary or secondary etc. In primary/core areas, the uses tend to be more focused on retail/professional/restaurant uses but this is all in the particular local policy. The policy is based on research and consultation and isn't made up. The main reason for the requirement of permission is to ensure that the proper use doesn't damage, for instance, the retail offer in the town centre or to allow an operator to change a shop unit into a takeaway, with all the associated late night opening and flue discharge into the neighbours flat that may occur.

Let's not confuse the staff (planning officers) abd the elected cllrs, the later who are meant to represent the people, but usually have a personal or political agenda.

This process is the same across the UK, I'm afraid.

all very good but perhaps you can explain why Bar 44 (next door) is allowed to be a restaurant but Prezzo is not? This isn't zoning or core areas is it? either restaurants are allowed in that immediate vicinity or they are not.

I'm aware this process is the same across the UK, it is a farce. i'm pretty sure planning officers, when entering the profession, aren't looking to get involved in what really is something that the state shouldn't be interested in. This is a change of use, the owner should be free to use his property as he sees fit (within the law) without someone sticking their oar in.

redragon

PostWed Oct 22, 2014 7:27 pm

I have absolutely no idea what the situation is/was at Bar44. If I could be bothered to argue every single point like you, I'd look up the report for both applications and see what the justification was for either decision. What is the reason for refusal of the Prezzo branch? All I know is that it is nothing to do with the company - it can't be, it's not a planning matter. If the county cllr has called it in to the Vale planning committee, those councillors could only refuse the application on planning matters. Anyway, before you go on, perhaps you could confim?

As I said, I haven't read the report but perhaps there is a concentration of a number of restaurants/takeaways in this particular area (I'm sure you'll let me know), which together are having a cumulative impact on the quality of nearby residents homes (noise, odours etc). I live near a parade of commercial units and know first hand the impacts of noise through late opening and early morning deliveries. What i do know is that a number of the takeaways and restaurants have had their opening hours limited, particularly during the week (no later than 00:00) and that details of adequate ventilation have been fitted following negotation, avoiding spillage into my property. These matters have to be dealt with like this in an urban location, which would otherwise be chaotic.

That said, I am not in agreement with all elements of the planning system, and it is a bulky old system, I just cannot understand how you see the country with absolutely no control.

Jantra

PostWed Oct 22, 2014 7:36 pm

It's right in the middle of penarth town centre, noise etc can't be an issue.

There has been one objection which has now been withdrawn. I want to know if the local councillor will voice the will of the people who elected her to represent them, or whether she will follow her own agenda?

If the local councillor cannot do this then she needs to be clear with the people that she represents that she is incapable of representing their views effectively.

Why are we electing politicians if they aren't their to represent us? This is just another example of how corrupt the concept of state is.
Previous

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum