It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:54 am

Greenfield Developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

RandomComment

Greenfield Developments

PostFri Oct 24, 2014 11:08 am

Wanted to collect info on the greenfield developments now proposed or commencing in Cardiff. Its suddenly started to get busy again!

Long-standing applications are:

St Ederyn's Village (now working through planning obligations and enabling work) - east of Pontprennau: 1,000 homes.
http://planning.cardiff.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=_CARDIFF_DCAPR_103676

Churchlands - east of Lisvane: 1,200 homes.
Design commission broadly supportive: [/url]http://dcfw.org/wp-content/uploads/Design-Review-Report-Churchlands-Final-Feb-2014.pdf[/url]. The planning docs are available: http://planning.cardiff.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=_CARDIFF_DCAPR_105743.

We also had an application for a development north and south of Cardiff Road between Radyr and Fairwater recently. In total for 630 homes:
http://planning.cardiff.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=_CARDIFF_DCAPR_109712

And now two more I've noticed:
Redrow in Pentrebane: http://planning.cardiff.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=_CARDIFF_DCAPR_109754
A smaller developer (I think) for north of Newport Road to the east of St Mellons: http://planning.cardiff.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=_CARDIFF_DCAPR_109778

The one also says there is permission for houses across the south side of Newport Road next to the golf course.

And there are also fairly significant Brownfield proposals for BBC in Llandaf; and the biggie on Dumballs Road.

That's a fair amount of resi construction that could get underway in the next couple of years.. if the economy holds up!

Jantra

Re: Greenfield Developments

PostFri Oct 24, 2014 11:24 am

it does look promising as Cardiff certainly needs new homes if it is to keep growing and developing as a City. Without wanting to derail the thread, I'm also interested in your final comment about the economy - what do you think are the big threats to the UK economy

RandomComment

PostFri Oct 24, 2014 11:44 am

Two are public finance related:
1) is that tax receipts continue to disappoint given the level of economic growth. That partly relates to low wage growth (and high employment growth) which is less tax-rich
2) is that public spending cuts get much much harder to deliver in the next parliament as downward pressure on public sector wages becomes harder; and the protection for health, pensioners, education and overseas aid means such swingeing cuts on other services.
All of this could extend austerity further and further into the future, sapping economic strength.

The housing market over-heating again.
The Eurozone dragging us down.

I think if we can get Fracking on stream and generating significant oil/gas soonish that could help us in the medium-to-longer term. Its really cut US energy costs, boosting industry and given them more foreign policy leeway. Of course, there are environmental issues, but if its our own oil and gas versus imported stuff - thats good news. And better than coal, of course.

Kyle

PostFri Oct 24, 2014 3:01 pm

Good to see the Lisvane one come up again. There's a smaller scheme in Lisvane by Redrow underway at the moment as well.

Looking at the masterplan I hadn't realised the layout of the site and had thought that it was for a total of 4,000 homes. I'd assumed it would be covering more of the land alongside the daily Lisvane-Pontprennau rat run along St. Mellon's Road. I guess this is the first part of what will eventually fill up the 'gap' between Lisvane and Pontprennau. There must be enough room for around four or five thousand homes altogether.

RandomComment

PostFri Oct 24, 2014 3:32 pm

Kyle - indeed. The DCfW talks about the importance of this scheme fitting in with the wider 4500 home plan for the whole "NE Cardiff" area. It seems to think that the development has a good chance of fitting in but it has doubts whether the main road in the scheme (6.5 metres wide) is quite big enough to cope. I hope there are some nice linear (or at least non-convoluted) routes through the site. I know this tends to mean these roads become the main traffic-bearing routes and probably impacts on saleability of homes on that route - but its important for the functioning of the site as a whole.

LocalLurker

PostFri Oct 24, 2014 4:53 pm

Neil McEvoy, who leads the party’s group on Cardiff council, described plans to increase the population of Wales by 33% as “a 21st century Tryweryn”, referring to the flooding of a North Wales valley in the early 1960s to provide water for Liverpool...

Former Cardiff Plaid councillor Keith Parry said: “They are planning for 320,000 new houses in Wales. That’s enough for a million more people. Wales only has a population of three million so that’s a 33% increase. “Where are the extra people coming from? Unless they put something in the water to make Welsh people breed like rabbits they’ll be coming from outside Wales. They’re planning what amounts to a new capital of North Wales at Bodelwyddan, a place most people had never heard of until recently.”

Plaid really are an awful party

Jantra

PostFri Oct 24, 2014 5:47 pm

Here's a thought - perhaps wales has a shortage of houses, or that we need to build newer stock to replace older stock.

Plaid are making ukip appear to be the least loony party in mainstream politics. Fancy that

Kyle

PostSat Oct 25, 2014 11:35 am

Jantra wrote:Here's a thought - perhaps wales has a shortage of houses, or that we need to build newer stock to replace older stock.

Plaid are making ukip appear to be the least loony party in mainstream politics. Fancy that

It is totally bonkers, and like 3 million in Wales and only some 300,000 or so people in Cardiff is alot of people anyway.

Proper small town thinking from them.

Ash

PostSun Oct 26, 2014 1:08 pm

Kyle wrote: It is totally bonkers, and like 3 million in Wales and only some 300,000 or so people in Cardiff is alot of people anyway. Proper small town thinking from them.

Generally I agree with you - but I think there are particular issues in north east Wales where some quite nice stretches of countryside are being lost because of Chesire County Council's strict planning policies. Deeside has always been a bit shite - but it's getting worse! That's not an arguement against 'incomers' by the way - just an observation!

Mr Blue Sky

PostSun Oct 26, 2014 7:24 pm

Jantra wrote:Here's a thought - perhaps wales has a shortage of houses, or that we need to build newer stock to replace older stock.

And how sane are you? Plaid Cymru's Penarth branch members certainly discussed your mental health during your brief stint as an activist.

The Welsh Government have admitted that their initial population projections were way out.

Guess how much Wales' population grew by last year?

The LDPs are a charter for house builders and landowners to make vast profits and it is their lobbying which has shaped the EnglandandWales Planning Inspectorate's policy towards LDPs in Wales.

The point that Keith Parry, who is a good friend of mine, was trying to make is that many of the proposed new homes will be marketed and sold to English people wanting to settle in Wales, either for the better quality of life/low cost of living, or to commute to jobs in England.

After leaving Llangollen this morning I drove through the south of Wrexham borough, and as I approached the English border it was noticeable how many 'Executive home' new-build developments there were.

Welcome to west Cheshire, a county of the English province of Wales.

When our football team, rugby team, language and nationality have disappeared in 100 years time, your great-grandchildren will look back and say:

"Well done Grandad, at least we have our formulaic estates of little boxes on the hillsides."

"Who were the Welsh anyway? Just wannabe Englishmen, like Cambo Dai, the Quisling of the EnglandandWales political class."

Hey, at least we have one party in Wales not controlled from or by English people in London.

Da iawn Keith, da iawn Neil.
Next

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum