It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:40 am

Cardiff - The Biography

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Glen

Cardiff - The Biography

PostMon Oct 27, 2014 11:13 pm

Dic Mortimer now in print.
If it's anything as good as his blog it will be well worth 15 quid and a place on your book shelf.

Ash

Re: Cardiff - The Biography

PostTue Oct 28, 2014 1:24 pm

Ordered! I love Dic Mortimer - although I realise he's Marmite. A real andidote to the sacharine Dan O'Neil / Frank Hennesy / Brian Lee view of our city.

Karl

PostTue Oct 28, 2014 2:43 pm

I enjoy reading Dic Mortimer periodically. He vents his spleen like no other and as you say a counterweight to the 'aark aark the lark at Kairdiff arms paark' mob who have hijacked the Cardiff narrative for too long.

However a whole book would be just too tiring. I find his unremitting negativity really wearing even though I agree with a fair bit of what he writes. It sometimes reads like being cornered down the pub by the resident know it all....

Ash

PostTue Oct 28, 2014 2:53 pm

Karl wrote:I enjoy reading Dic Mortimer periodically. He vents his spleen like no other and as you say a counterweight to the 'aark aark the lark at Kairdiff arms paark' mob who have hijacked the Cardiff narrative for too long.

However a whole book would be just too tiring. I find his unremitting negativity really wearing even though I agree with a fair bit of what he writes. It sometimes reads like being cornered down the pub by the resident know it all....

To be fair he's not always negative - his recent tribute to Dannie Abse was a lovely, warm piece of writing. I do take your point though - I suspect I'll be throwing the book across the room at times!

Ash

PostFri Nov 07, 2014 2:17 pm

Just finished reading the book. It's pretty enjoyable on the whole with fewer rants than I expected!

There's a slight problem with structure. The book consists a long chronology followed by pen-portraits of various parts of the city so some information is repeated, sometimes more than once. That said, there's a lot of stuff I didn't know about in the book and some pretty astute points on the city's strengths and failings.

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum