It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 1:34 pm

Grangetown Tram Shed

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Kyle

Grangetown Tram Shed

PostMon Nov 24, 2014 10:32 am

This might just deserve it's own thread.

Plans to turn the former tram shed in Grangetown into an arts centre and business hub.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/plans-unveiled-turn-old-cardiff-8160073

I was going to post some of the images from the article but they don't seem to transfer properly via the [img] tag and end up being really big with scroll bars at the bottom. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong Paul ?

zygoticmynci

Re: Grangetown Tram Shed

PostMon Nov 24, 2014 11:45 am

Excellent stuff! The area around the station is really promising.

Ash

PostMon Nov 24, 2014 1:55 pm

It looks great and Simon Baston had a good record in delivering projects - although most of them have been residential. This project seems to follow the Chapter model but on a more commercial basis. It will be interesting to see how it turns out but I suspect the BBC decision to relocate to Central Square did a lot to make it viable.

Kyle

PostMon Nov 24, 2014 2:13 pm

It's right on the doorstep of town isn't it ? That makes it just a little walk across the bridge from the new Central Square project and obviously the new proposed BBC Wales offices.

With something finally happening in the Central Square area it'll be interesting to see what happens with that part of Grangetown in future, particularly if something also happens to the Brains site, Network Rail's project for Cardiff Central and if the Dumballs Road project, and the proposed footbridge for it materialises.

Not enough use has been made of the Taff in terms of how it's integrated with the city centre. It's always frustrated me that we have the city centre one side of it and just residential areas on the other.

Neil

PostMon Nov 24, 2014 2:58 pm

As soon as the council closed it I've been dreaming of this happening to such a great building.

I'm so happy :)

Kyle

PostMon Nov 24, 2014 4:11 pm

Neil wrote:As soon as the council closed it I've been dreaming of this happening to such a great building.

I'm so happy :)

Couldn't agree more. It's been over 10 years since I lived in the area but I've always loved that building so it will be brilliant to see it in use. This sort of thing has been talked about for years.

Fingers crossed it does actually happen.

wizard

PostTue Nov 25, 2014 10:37 pm

Sadly, we have been here before. Such a project was first mooted when Cardiff was applying for European Capital of Culture status about a decade ago. let's hope it's got some legs this time.

Ash

PostSun Dec 21, 2014 2:38 pm

The deal has been signed it seems. Well done to all involved.

A deal has been signed which aims to take forward a £4m arts and small business complex in Victorian tram sheds near the centre of Cardiff.

A gallery, 40-seat cinema, performance venue and cafe-bar are part of the development, which will be privately-funded by combined living and working spaces as part of the project.

The Grade ll-listed ex-council depot in Grangetown went on sale two years ago.

Councillors hope for 150 jobs and a link up with city centre regeneration.

A community and arts use for part of the building was a stipulation of any agreement and Penarth-based TS Developments signed a lease on Friday.

Plans are due to be submitted and the hope is to have the building up and running by the end of 2015

That's a very ambitious opening date - I guess they mae be doing it in stages.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-30016995

zygoticmynci

PostSun Dec 21, 2014 9:44 pm

Allegedly the Tate were interested in purchasing the building some years ago, but the Council weren't interested. Shock, horror.

Zach

PostMon Dec 22, 2014 12:14 pm

From this photo it looks like Cardiff has lost another road!
With Westgate/Woods St/St Mary St out of action this was a handy road for getting from the Bay to Cathedral road, if they would spend money on improving roads when other are closed rather than speed bumps.

Cardiff seems to be increasingly split in 4 quadrants, by the Taff, the Rail line and bus only centre. :evil:
Next

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum