It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:25 am

Saving venues like The Point (RIP) from noise complaints

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

mustrum_ridcully

Saving venues like The Point (RIP) from noise complaints

PostThu Nov 27, 2014 10:23 am

I'm sure some will remember The Point in Cardiff Bay being forced to close down because of noise complaints from neighbours (who as far as I can tell moved into the area after it was opened in 2003). Someone has just told me about this e-petition going around seeking to make people who move into properties near music venues sign a disclaimer acknowledging that there is a pre-exisiting music/entertainment venue.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/70689

I think this is a major flaw in the planning system, an entertainment venue that creates noise can rightly be stopped from opening in a residential area, yet there is no protection for a pre-existing venue from a residential area being created around it with residents then able to complain about noise.

Ash

Re: Saving venues like The Point (RIP) from noise complaints

PostThu Nov 27, 2014 12:46 pm

Planning is devolved so it would need action by the WG to change the sytem is Wales.

DaiB

PostThu Nov 27, 2014 2:00 pm

How do we define an acceptable level of noise? What if the noise levels from the venue increase over time? Does the resident have no protection whatsoever? Or do we have to introduce acceptable dB levels at certain distances within the ‘disclaimer zone’? I can’t see this being anything other than very hard to manage and open to frequent challenge. Does anywhere already have a system like this in place?

This is a much better idea, keeps a level playing field of basic rights to a noise-free existence:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-04/l ... ia/5646570

mustrum_ridcully

PostThu Nov 27, 2014 3:03 pm

Wasn't sure if stuff like noise nuisance was a devolved matter or not.

DaiB - yeah the Aussies have the right idea. Want to build flats near a music venue - fine but make sure it's soundproofed!

zygoticmynci

PostSat Nov 29, 2014 10:12 am

Apparently it was one person that made a complaint. Grrr!!

zygoticmynci

PostSat Nov 29, 2014 10:18 am

Just to add - why live in a city if you don't like noise? Do you remember when there was opposition to Porter's from residents in Altolusso? You live in the centre opposite the Motorpoint - deal with it! If you don't like it then move to the Valleys for a fraction of the price. It really irks me.

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum