It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:38 am

St. Davids Shopping Centre

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Amoore

Re: St. Davids Shopping Centre

PostWed Jul 30, 2014 11:36 am

Hmm, premium prices maybe but Pat Val is hardly The Ritz - it's a posh Greggs. If they'd chosen a place near the castle they would be pissing their money up the wall because they need a location with a higher footfall.

The Hayes may have been a better fit for the brand, but it would have cost far too much for them to ever contemplate making money.

As with similar outlets near the location, the majority of trade will be take-out rather than 'sit there nursing a cup of coffee for 20 minutes and savouring the experience'.

Cardiff

PostWed Jul 30, 2014 5:32 pm

The location just really doesn't fit the brand and locations i've seen else where, look a the one in Manchester, Bath, Salisbury, Windsor etc. They tend to be independent buildings of historical note and have an old world vibe where you do sit and nurse a cup of tea/coffee. I cant see someone enjoying eggs benedict while shoppers walk past your cheap seats and tables to pay for their car parking and then stare at you while they wait for the lifts. I think it may be down to the Cardiff demographic and maybe its a trial to see how popular this type of thing is in the area.

redragon

PostWed Jul 30, 2014 6:48 pm

Can't say I really care about its location . Yes, some of their shops do look good, but its a bit too common to be that special. It could have looked quite good somewhere like next to Hotel Chocolcat, but what ever, It will get used.

I wonder why Cadwallader's moved out though?

Wahaca must be opening soon? That's going to look pretty good and will hopefully bring that part of the centre alive (as in the outdoor alleyway between John lewis and there.

Rhodri

PostThu Jul 31, 2014 12:02 pm

Haven't Cadwalladr's moved to a hut on the Hayes Island? Looked kind of cool when I passed week before last.

Ash

PostThu Jul 31, 2014 1:17 pm

Rhodri wrote:Haven't Cadwalladr's moved to a hut on the Hayes Island? Looked kind of cool when I passed week before last.

No that's Sidoli's. I had an interesting chat with the operator of the Hayes Island Snack Bar the other day. Apparently he now has a lease on the whole Hayes Island site - including the former public toilets. Hence the ice-cream hut, additional seating, parasols and outdoor heating. I think it's a great improvement.

I suspect Saint Davids didn't work for Cadwalladr's. They have opened up a parlour in Caerphilly recently so maybe they've decided on a 'secondary centre' strategy. On the ice cream front Fablas in Victoria Park seems to be doing well - does any one know how Joe's is doing in Wellfield Rd?

Rhodri

PostThu Jul 31, 2014 1:41 pm

Ah Sidoli's,thanks. Think Joe's is doing ok, always seems busy when I pass.

Kyle

PostThu Jul 31, 2014 2:37 pm

Ash wrote:
Rhodri wrote:Haven't Cadwalladr's moved to a hut on the Hayes Island? Looked kind of cool when I passed week before last.

No that's Sidoli's. I had an interesting chat with the operator of the Hayes Island Snack Bar the other day. Apparently he now has a lease on the whole Hayes Island site - including the former public toilets. Hence the ice-cream hut, additional seating, parasols and outdoor heating. I think it's a great improvement.

I suspect Saint Davids didn't work for Cadwalladr's. They have opened up a parlour in Caerphilly recently so maybe they've decided on a 'secondary centre' strategy. On the ice cream front Fablas in Victoria Park seems to be doing well - does any one know how Joe's is doing in Wellfield Rd?

The Caerphilly one is quite close to the castle so it should get quite a few of the tourists that descend on the town as well as the locals. It's in a half decent spot actually, right across the road from Glanmor's cafe.

As for why they moved from that St.David's unit, personally I think it's the fact that it isn't a quiet spot to relax with ample seating. I think they would have done much better if they'd chosen a unit on the Hayes, Queen Street or St.Mary's Street.

Are they still at Mermaid Quay ?

Amoore

PostThu Jul 31, 2014 2:41 pm

Cardiff wrote:The location just really doesn't fit the brand and locations i've seen else where, look a the one in Manchester, Bath, Salisbury, Windsor etc. They tend to be independent buildings of historical note and have an old world vibe where you do sit and nurse a cup of tea/coffee. I cant see someone enjoying eggs benedict while shoppers walk past your cheap seats and tables to pay for their car parking and then stare at you while they wait for the lifts. I think it may be down to the Cardiff demographic and maybe its a trial to see how popular this type of thing is in the area.

I don't think it's anything to do with Cardiff, and more to do with the way PV is expanding. Yes, you cite some nice examples but, most of the new shops are in train stations and shopping centres, which by their nature going to encourage a fast turnover of service, and takeaway-led sales.

Ben In London

PostMon Aug 04, 2014 10:36 am

redragon wrote:I wonder why Cadwallader's moved out though?

I'm told they left because the rent so was so high.

Ben In London

PostMon Aug 04, 2014 10:38 am

Cardiff wrote:Really disapointed with the location of Pattisserie Valerie, they normally have quite pretty locations and i was hopeing they would chose somewhere near the castle or on St Marys street or the Hayes. Great that we finally have one though!

They have quite a few shopping centre locations. My nearest branch is also in an Intu-owned centre.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum