It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:47 pm

St. Davids Shopping Centre

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Simon_SW17

Re: St. Davids Shopping Centre

PostWed Feb 12, 2020 11:54 am

The issue for Gap is that their clothes are nothing special and are very expensive compared to H&M, Primark etc. There does seem to be a general reduction in stores, the Bristol city centre store has gone, there's one at Cribbs and a kids only store in Bath plus a couple of outlets at Ebbw Vale and Bridgend.

The St. David's store always seemed to be stuffed with sale racks at the entrance as well which isn't a good look at all.

Glenn

PostWed Feb 12, 2020 6:11 pm

Another loss for the upper Arcade. If Monsoon goes which has been mentioned, that’s a big expanse of empty space. Would that leave just Lakeland in that area past the Apple Store? They were definitely expecting John Lewis to be a bigger draw.

I think and hope they’re planning something with all that space. Mermaid Quay managed to squeeze a cinema in so I’m sure Saint David’s could get one in? Need to focus less on retail, more on dining/bars and experiences. That seems to be the way the high street is moving. Rebranding that upper arcade area could work well. Perhaps knock a few of those big 2 storey units together and try something new.

jonnywill25

PostSun Mar 01, 2020 2:20 pm

Whilst we have not learnt anything new from the latest leasing plans released by Intu, the plans do suggest that the centre is moving in a positive direction. There is an encouraging amount of units in solicitors hands, particularly on the Lower Grand Arcade. There also seems to be some developments with units which have had zero interest since becoming vacant. Here's my overview...

Upcoming Openings:

- Morphe (UG37) Upper Grand Arcade Retail Store 6,820 Sq Ft
- Kin + Ilk (LG53) The Hayes Restaurant 1,133 Sq Ft
- Hollister (UG46/47) Upper Grand Arcade Retail Store 12,253 Sq Ft
- Zara (UG13-19) Upper Grand Arcade Retail Store 38,000 Sq Ft

In Solicitors Hands:

- Former The Pen Store (KLG02) 435 Sq Ft
- Former Swatch (KLG02) 434 Sq Ft
- Current Crew Clothing (LG68) 2,113 Sq Ft
- Current Kids Around (LG32) 2,135 Sq Ft
- Former Karen Millen (LG26) 3,147 Sq Ft
- Former Spud U Like (KLG15) 2,228 Sq Ft

In Negotiation:

- Former Gilly Hicks (MSU05) 8,165 Sq Ft
- Former Jacamo | Simply Be (UG24) 5,311 Sq Ft
- Former Radley (LG64) 676 Sq Ft
- Former Karen Millen (LG26) 3,147 Sq Ft
- Former Red Hot Buffet (LG80-83) 16,000 Sq Ft

Interestingly, KUG11 is 'in negotiation' for the very first time. I'm hopeful this comes to something because that corner of the centre looks particularly bland and unloved.

Overall, SD1 looks pretty stagnant with no noticeable changes other than Smartphones opening in CW7. It appears the TV Movie Store will depart Cathedral Walk this month, along with Immotion VR leaving Town Wall. Both units already in solicitors hands for new occupants.

https://www.intugroup.co.uk/media/5232/ ... 022020.pdf

jonnywill25

PostMon Mar 30, 2020 4:16 pm

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/int ... 86761.html

Embattled shopping centres owner Intu on Friday lined up the first three properties it will try to sell as it seeks to pay down its £4.5 billion debt mountain.

The company, which yesterday warned there is “material uncertainty” over its ability to continue as a going concern, is looking at potential disposals of its Merry Hill centre in Birmingham, Intu Milton Keynes and its 50% stake in St David’s, Cardiff.

Simon_SW17

PostMon Mar 30, 2020 7:47 pm

So either they're selling their most saleable properties or least profitable, who knows? I wonder who'd buy the 50%? Land Securities seems a good bet.

jonnywill25

PostSun Jun 21, 2020 10:59 pm

St. David's are due to reopen tomorrow with social distancing measures in place and increased safety measures. Some of these include card only payments, reduced hours and restricted numbers in the centre. The stores due to open have yet to be announced, but for sure we won't see Warehouse, Carephone Warehouse, Cath Kidson and Oasis operating.

Pre-lockdown we were expecting some new arrivals within the centre including Morphe and a TFG branded retail store (Hobbs, Phase Eight, Whistles). It will be interesting to see if any of these store fitouts have begun. Furthermore, it will be interesting to see if Hollister have conducted their relocation to UG46/47 to coincide with the Zara fitout.

Could any of these projects/planned openings be scrapped as a result of Covid-19? We'll see tomorrow!

EDIT: According to the Store List on the St. David's website, Monsoon will not be re-opening, therefore leaving UG25/26 vacant.

jonnywill25

PostFri Jun 26, 2020 4:42 pm

Days after the updated leasing plans were released, Intu (Part owner of St. David's) has officially fallen into administration.

https://www.intugroup.co.uk/media/5232/ ... 762020.pdf

Lewisbeecham

PostFri Jun 26, 2020 5:31 pm

jonnywill25 wrote:Days after the updated leasing plans were released, Intu (Part owner of St. David's) has officially fallen into administration.

https://www.intugroup.co.uk/media/5232/ ... 762020.pdf

Thankfully it's not run by Intu, its run by their partner, Land Securities who have confirmed the centre will stay open.

Amazingly I don't think I can recall the leasing plan looking so full, I wonder how it will look in six months from now.

Simon_SW17

PostFri Jun 26, 2020 11:39 pm

You can already cross off;

Accessorize
Virgin Media
Carluccio's

with

Victoria's Secret
Franky & Benny's
Cafe Rouge
Quiz

looking uncertain.

And unfortunately this list will get longer.

I read with concern that John Lewis don't intend to re-open all their stores after lockdown, hopefully this won't include Cardiff
Last edited by Simon_SW17 on Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DJKiran

PostSat Jun 27, 2020 3:12 pm

That's a damn shame with John Lewis. I like going there occasionally to see what they got on sale
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum