It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:49 am

St. Davids Shopping Centre

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Karl

Re: St. Davids Shopping Centre

PostFri Aug 04, 2017 5:07 pm

Application in for something called Godiva - chocolatier and cafe. Going where Mango used to be.

Lyndon

PostFri Aug 04, 2017 5:17 pm

Simon_SW17 wrote:I'm not surprised that Kurt Geiger have called it a day, it always looks empty in there. Oliver Bonas will be a lot busier.

I'm amazed that Reiss is plodding on, also always looks dead.

The general manager job ad for Byron has been taken down, also can't find any staff job ads or anything on their website so looks like it's not happening.

Not surprised that Cardiff has reached Peak Burger, Shake Shack never looks particularly busy.

lucky

PostFri Aug 04, 2017 5:45 pm

Godiva are painfully overpriced premium brand chocolates from ?Belgium or France, available in lots of airports and already here in John Lewis. I'd be quite surprised if it's a success as a standalone. Hotel Chocolat are a lot better (IMO) if you're looking for fancy chocs.

Mr Blue Sky

PostFri Aug 04, 2017 7:31 pm

lucky wrote:Godiva are painfully overpriced premium brand chocolates from ?Belgium or France, available in lots of airports and already here in John Lewis. I'd be quite surprised if it's a success as a standalone. Hotel Chocolat are a lot better (IMO) if you're looking for fancy chocs.

I've bought boxes, from John Lewis in Cardiff, for family members' landmark birthdays. It's about £30 for 20 chocolates. I did taste one and while I agree they are overpriced they are very, very nice. As are the Hotel Chocolat products.

It will be interesting to see how long this lasts. Looking at their website they have four standalone shops in London and another half dozen concessions including in Manchester and Newcastle.

jonnywill25

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 10:19 am

A planning application has been submitted by Calvin Klein underwear for unit LG38 (previously occupied by Tinc).

Quite surprising considering their exit from the centre in 2014, nevertheless, this is a much improved location with greater footfall. Although the unit is small, no doubt the 714 Sq Ft space will be adequate enough. Their Westfield White City store is in a small unit on the ground floor and the space is used wisely.

Encouraging to see some planning applications filtering through recently, store openings had been thin on the ground.

Opening Soon

1. Oliver Bonas // LG66 // The Hayes // 2,324 Sq Ft
2. Kid's Around // LG32 // Lower Grand Arcade // 2,135 Sq Ft
3. Godiva // LG40 // Lower Grand Arcade // 2,471 Sq Ft
4. Calvin Klein Underwear // LG38 // Lower Grand Arcade // 714 Sq Ft
5. MG Motors // 16 // Cathedral Walk // 1,069 Sq Ft

Providing Bryon commit to their store opening, once the above retail stores open, there will only be three vacant units on the Lower Grand Arcade.

Nb. Not entirely sure what is happening with Bryon at the moment! Although the windows were blacked out downstairs at the beginning of summer, no work has yet commenced. The planning application notices have also been removed for the glass frontage.

jonnywill25

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 1:16 pm

In other news, EAT have put their lease on the market for their 2,630 Sq Ft premises on the Lower Eastside.

Sadly, this does not surprise me! For some reason, EAT failed to entice the Cardiff market in the same way Pret has and subsequently have always been quiet despite their incredible location.

According to a number of press releases, Cardiff & Manchester are high on the agenda's for the next UK Tim Hortons branches, therefore I could imagine Tim Hortons opening in this unit. I should imagine they'd want a high profile location.

Alternatively, I could imagine LEON in this location. They are slowly branching outside of London and would be surprised if Cardiff wasn't on their agenda.

MattW

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 2:54 pm

Yeah strange that - always quiet when I have walked past whereas both Prets are consistently busy!

Would prefer Leon to Tim Horton's tbh.

RandomComment

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 4:32 pm

jonnywill25 wrote:In other news, EAT have put their lease on the market for their 2,630 Sq Ft premises on the Lower Eastside.

Sadly, this does not surprise me! For some reason, EAT failed to entice the Cardiff market in the same way Pret has and subsequently have always been quiet despite their incredible location.

Strange people are Cardiffians! I think Eat's range is much better than Pret. Pret is basically sandwiches and baguettes. Eat does a range of soups, hot pots, etc, which make it a much more versatile place to eat.

Will Leon struggle in Cardiff? I think its a bit overpriced for what it is: I'm always hungry after I go there (portions seem tiny!).

jonnywill25

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 5:59 pm

USC are closing their current store in November and will be moving to the unit UG15/16 (recently vacated by Nike) before Christmas. Their reason for the relocation is requiring smaller premises. This will then free up a 9,621 Sq Ft unit on the Upper Grand Arcade.

DaveE

PostThu Aug 31, 2017 12:33 am

Just seen this on Property Week website, apart from the marketing waffle it still states Byron opening 'Early 2018' - that's a serious interior fit out!

Oliver Bonas makes Welsh debut
30 August 2017 | By Helen Crane

British lifestyle retailer Oliver Bonas has announced plans to open its first store in Wales at St David’s shopping centre in Cardiff.

It will take a 2,290 sq ft store at the centre, which is owned by the St David’s Partnership – a joint venture between Intu and LandSec.

The site, located adjacent to Reiss, will stock fashion, jewellery, homeware and gifts from Oliver Bonas’s in-house range and selected other brands. Oliver Bonas launched in 1993 and now has more than 60 stores in the UK.

Colin Flinn, regional managing director at Intu, said: “Oliver Bonas’ choice to launch their unique and trend led pieces to the Welsh market at St David’s, will enhance choice and variety for shoppers. In addition, this will further cement the status of St David’s as a fully comprehensive retail and leisure destination highly sought after by aspirational brands seeking to grow their market in an affluent catchment.”

This follows the recent news that lingerie retailer, Bravissimo, opened a flagship store at St David’s in June. In addition, burger brand Byron will also be making its Welsh debut at the centre with a 5,150 sq ft restaurant set to open in early 2018. St David’s is anchored by Debenhams, Marks & Spencer, and the largest John Lewis outside of London. It also has 200 other shops and restaurants.

JLL and Cushman & Wakefield advise the St David’s Partnership. Colliers acted on behalf of Oliver Bonas.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum