It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:58 am

St. Davids Shopping Centre

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

RandomComment

Re: St. Davids Shopping Centre

PostFri Jan 17, 2020 12:54 pm

jonnywill25 wrote:“Zara has signed for a 38,000 sq ft store at St David’s, Cardiff“

https://landsec.com/media/press-release ... -portfolio

A store of that size must mean it is closing its Queen St store (although that eemed pretty likely anyway, even if it had been a smaller store), which will probably be pretty hard to relet to a high quality retailer.

River Island has gotta be a risk too, given its St Davids store (although personally, I prefer the Queen St one for design/layout/feel).

If both go, that would really knock a hole in the middle of Queen Street.

Jonny, you seem quite clued up on fashion. Is there anyone you could see coming to Cardiff that needs big fashion units?

Leighurley1998

PostFri Jan 17, 2020 1:07 pm

I think a store like uniqlo or pull and bear would be popular in Cardiff with the student population and the success of bershka and stradivarius in the St David's Centre.

Simon_SW17

PostFri Jan 17, 2020 1:40 pm

RandomComment wrote:
jonnywill25 wrote:“Zara has signed for a 38,000 sq ft store at St David’s, Cardiff“

https://landsec.com/media/press-release ... -portfolio

A store of that size must mean it is closing its Queen St store (although that eemed pretty likely anyway, even if it had been a smaller store), which will probably be pretty hard to relet to a high quality retailer.

River Island has gotta be a risk too, given its St Davids store (although personally, I prefer the Queen St one for design/layout/feel).

If both go, that would really knock a hole in the middle of Queen Street.

Jonny, you seem quite clued up on fashion. Is there anyone you could see coming to Cardiff that needs big fashion units?

The whole row had been marketed for some time now, I assume River Island are closing on Queen St as are Zara. Top Shop are reducing their estate at the moment so they must be quitting at the end of their lease.

The Top Shop unit is much bigger than the others so could be the biggest challenge to re-let.

https://search.savills.com/property-detail/gb30270000104519

RandomComment

PostFri Jan 17, 2020 6:13 pm

Simon_SW17 wrote:
The whole row had been marketed for some time now, I assume River Island are closing on Queen St as are Zara. Top Shop are reducing their estate at the moment so they must be quitting at the end of their lease.

The Top Shop unit is much bigger than the others so could be the biggest challenge to re-let.

https://search.savills.com/property-detail/gb30270000104519

Gosh. When those go, that will really knock the stuffing out of Queen Street. It will mean Next and, what, Matalan, are the only two main clothing stores you need access from the street? (Primark and M&S can both be accessed via St Davids).

I can't imagine Top Shop/Man are quitting the city. Maybe they will downsize into one of the other units or also make the move to St Davids as well?

Anyway, its a shame. I've come to not really like St Davids as a shopping experience. I find the old centre quite low and claustrophobic - and really busy whenever I go in, which adds to that feeling. And the new part, I find sort of bland and sterile. Queen Street there is usually more to look at, and as I say, the design of the 3 stores closing (Top Shop and River Island in particular) is just more interesting and open than the St Davids ones. Although that and greater energy efficiency probably means the St Davids units are more cost effective.

jonnywill25

PostFri Jan 31, 2020 12:39 pm

BB's Coffee + Muffins appear to be exiting the centre soon! They have their lease up for sale... https://www.ejhales.co.uk/documents/car ... s-8183.pdf

Simon_SW17

PostFri Jan 31, 2020 7:21 pm

jonnywill25 wrote:BB's Coffee + Muffins appear to be exiting the centre soon! They have their lease up for sale... https://www.ejhales.co.uk/documents/car ... s-8183.pdf

I can't say I'm surprised, the rent is £6,667 a month, that's a lot of sales to make to pay that much and have anything left for profit, for what's a really tiny unit. Shopping centre rents are so overpriced, crazy.

jonnywill25

PostThu Feb 06, 2020 10:40 pm

- US cosmetics brand Morphe will open their 7th UK standalone store in St David's Cardiff. The store will be located on the Upper Grand Arcade in unit UG37. This unit was previously occupied by Guess and measures 6,820 Sq Ft. A planning application for signage was submitted yesterday.

- Jo Malone are currently closed for refurbishment. They're due to reopen in the Spring.

- Kin + Ilk are relocating to LG53. This unit was previously occupied by Crepe Affair and is located besides Cosy Club on Hill Street.

- LG62, LG63 and LG64 are recently vacant following the closures of Crabtree & Evelyn, Links of London and Radley. Units on The Hayes were previously in high demand. This is the first time we've seen a stretch of empty units on The Hayes since the centre opened... It will be interesting to see if these remain vacant for long?

- Vivienne Westwood have been targeted once again but vandalism to their glass frontage. The damage has been boarded up and does not look aesthetically pleasing. VW failed to replace the previous smashed frontage, which presents the question 'will they leave the damage boarded up until the lease eventually expires?'

jacobfox

PostThu Feb 06, 2020 11:50 pm

Surely you think rent prices would be dropping across the city as high streets become less popular

DaveE

PostTue Feb 11, 2020 10:47 pm

Gap in St David’s is closing: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/gap-st-davids-cardiff-closing-17722607

There is also a comment outside of the article that Monsoon is closing, that would create a few (more!) big spaces at the end of the centre.

Andrew J

PostWed Feb 12, 2020 11:37 am

jonnywill25 wrote:- US cosmetics brand Morphe will open their 7th UK standalone store in St David's Cardiff. The store will be located on the Upper Grand Arcade in unit UG37. This unit was previously occupied by Guess and measures 6,820 Sq Ft. A planning application for signage was submitted yesterday.

- Jo Malone are currently closed for refurbishment. They're due to reopen in the Spring.

- Kin + Ilk are relocating to LG53. This unit was previously occupied by Crepe Affair and is located besides Cosy Club on Hill Street.

- LG62, LG63 and LG64 are recently vacant following the closures of Crabtree & Evelyn, Links of London and Radley. Units on The Hayes were previously in high demand. This is the first time we've seen a stretch of empty units on The Hayes since the centre opened... It will be interesting to see if these remain vacant for long?

- Vivienne Westwood have been targeted once again but vandalism to their glass frontage. The damage has been boarded up and does not look aesthetically pleasing. VW failed to replace the previous smashed frontage, which presents the question 'will they leave the damage boarded up until the lease eventually expires?'

Vivienne Westwood has only just installed expensive internal shutters across its frontage so no plans to close. The Cardiff store actually performs well which is good news. The reason why windows still boarded up are due to issues over insurance pay out I understand given how many times they have now been targeted by scumbags. Hence the roller shutters
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum