It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:01 am

St. Davids Shopping Centre

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Amoore

Re: St. Davids Shopping Centre

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 6:51 pm

If in doubt, blame Brexit.

Ash

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 9:55 pm

murfilicious wrote:Absolutely no surprise based on the opinions of the 15-20 people I know who have been there. Not one of them had a good thing to say about it and almost all of them complained about the slow service and small overpriced portions.

Clywch! Clywch! My experience there was abysmal and Ask and Carluccio's, two far better 'Italian' chains, are within a stone's throw. No great surprise - although, of course, sympathy for the staff. It's not their fault they work for a greedy bell-end! ;)

I'm a firm Remainer but the Brexit excuse is pathetic.

Cen

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 10:22 pm

Pretty poor excuse. Of the industries affected by Brexit, restaurants will most likely be the least affected since, you know, people need to eat.

On the topic of Italian restaurants, I had a great experience in that new place in St David's, Ciliegino. Good food, good portions and not too pricey. The opposite of Jamie's.

Simon__200

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 10:55 pm

Jamie's Italian has to be the worst style over substance restaurant. Never had a good meal there. I've been dragged along by others several times to give it one last chance, yet again, and each time it has failed dismally. Surprised it's taken this long to close, to be honest.

Sad for the staff, of course, but it's really an abonination of a restaurant. Firmly a Remainer too, and am still standing by the idea that we'll all becoming more and more skint, so Brexit can certainly be responsible for a multitude of issues. It's alright saying that we've all got to eat, but we haven't all got to eat out. In an over-pretentious, over-priced faux Italian restaurant chain to boot.

LocalLurker

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 6:15 pm

Cen wrote:Pretty poor excuse. Of the industries affected by Brexit, restaurants will most likely be the least affected since, you know, people need to eat.

Quite the contrary. Going out for food is a luxury, can always get food from supermarkets. Luxuries are the first things to get hit when the economy slows down.

Cen

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 7:11 pm

Fair enough.

jonnywill25

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 10:19 pm

Karl wrote:Stardivarius are opening in the old USC unit on the top floor of SD2. Haven't a clue who they are or what they sell but good news that a big unit is being filled.

It also looks as though Pravins are expanding into the area that has the half arsed public art consisting of little windows with various items such as a ticket to Ninian Park as well as cash point machines.

Is it me or are jewellers recession proof? Since SD2 has opened various retailers have come and gone but it seems to me that not only have all the jewellers who were there originally remained but also new ones have opened as well. I think H Samuel have been in the same unit in the original St Davids for nigh on 30 years. Other than Ratners I can't recall a big name jeweller going bust either. They must have a huge mark up and so don't need a great volume of sales to keep trading as every time I pass they all look empty.

Stradivarius is an Inditex brand. They're the sister store to Zara etc. Do we know if they're using the Mezzanine level from the Planning App??

> Vodaphone and Pia Jewellery have closed their stores on Cathedral Walk in SD1. Bit of a shame, especially as Cathedral Walk was very nearly fully occupied after the opening of Virgin Holidays and Lovisa.

> Wagamama is currently closed for refurbishment.

> The Jamie's Italian unit is soon to be vacant. Should be interesting to see if there's any interest in this unit?

> Does anyone know how far Byron got with their unit amalgamation? Do we think these units will now be advertised as one or separate dwellings?

> Can anybody shed any light on the situation with Red Hot Buffet? They closed it a fair while ago for refurbishment (advertising an Autum relaunch) but the hoardings are still surrounding the unit...

Rhodri

PostTue Jan 23, 2018 1:10 pm

Seems Jamie's Italian will remain open.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/f ... y-14190955

jonnywill25

PostSun Jan 28, 2018 1:19 pm

- The Yankee Candle store on Cathedral Walk has closed down

- Today is the final day of trading for Ushi's. After a number of temporary pop up shops on the Lower Grand Arcade, Ushi's are vacating their current unit (LG40) and will now operate solely from their premises in Cowbridge. It is believed Godiva will open their first Welsh store in this unit in the coming year...

jonnywill25

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 8:17 pm

- The Crocs store which is located on the Lower Grand Arcade is closing down. Their final day of trading will be March 17th.

- Nespresso who are currently operating from a temporary stand in between River Islsnd and Victoria Secret are currently searching for permanent premises within Cardiff. Whether it'll be in St Davids or not is unknown.

- The new Footasylum store which'll encompass the adjoining SoHo Coffee unit will open this March. Hoardings currently cover both store fronts.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum