It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:40 pm


St. Davids Shopping Centre

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Andrew J

  • Posts: 18
  • Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:03 pm

Re: St. Davids Shopping Centre

PostSat Nov 09, 2019 11:10 pm

Yes Links of London in receivership so all stores closing g
Offline

jonnywill25

  • Posts: 211
  • Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:40 pm

Re: St. Davids Shopping Centre

PostFri Nov 15, 2019 12:24 am

Calvin Klein Underwear are planning their exit from the centre! I imagine they will close their store in the new year...

They are currently trying to offload their lease, which is not up for review until 2022!

https://www.shopproperty.co.uk/Pdf/4001 ... 99afefb574
Offline

jonnywill25

  • Posts: 211
  • Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:40 pm

Re: St. Davids Shopping Centre

PostFri Nov 15, 2019 11:31 am

Available Units

Cathedral Walk

- Former CCFC (11) 978 Sq Ft
- Former Phones 4 U (19) 1,129 Sq Ft
- Former Pia Jewellery (07) 1,208 Sq Ft
- Former Yankee Candle (10) 985 Sq Ft
- Former Vodafone (12/14)
- Former Swarovski (20) 1,068 Sq Ft
- Former Perfume Store (16) 1,152 Sq Ft

St. David’s Way

- Former Body Shop (4) 1,603 Sq Ft
- Former Sblended (2B) 307 Sq Ft
- Former Thomas Cook (3)

The Hayes

- Former Crepe Affaire (LG53) 1,133 Sq Ft
- Former Crabtree & Evelyn (LG62) 917 Sq Ft

- Current Links of London (LG63)
- Current Crew Clothing (LG68) 2,113 Sq Ft

Lower Grand Arcade

- Former Clas Ohlson (MSU02) 17,700 Sq Ft
- Former Kamigata (LG28/29) 2,518 Sq Ft
- Former Karen Millen (LG26)
- Former Crocs (LG91) 1,105 Sq Ft
- Former The Pen Store (KLG02) 435 Sq Ft
- Former Swatch (KLG02) 434 Sq Ft
- Former Spud U Like (KLG15)
- Former Patisserie Valerie (KLG13)

- Current Fossil (LG39) 2,205 Sq Ft
- Current Calvin Klein (LG38) 714 Sq Ft

Upper Grand Arcade

- Former Republic (UG46/47) 12,253 Sq Ft
- Former Guess (UG37) 6,820 Sq Ft
- Former Gilly Hicks (MSU05)
- Former Armani Exchange (UG13/14) 5,150 Sq Ft
- Former ChimiChanga (KUG02) 4,776 Sq Ft
- Former Jacamo | Simply Be (UG24) 5,343 Sq Ft
- Former Bose (UG23) 3,302 Sq Ft
- Former Clarks (UG17)


Never Occupied

- Upper Grand Arcade (MSU06B) 2,855 Sq Ft
- Upper Grand Arcade (UG28) 1,584 Sq Ft
- Upper Eastside (KUG11)
Offline

RandomComment

  • Posts: 863
  • Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:50 pm

Re: St. Davids Shopping Centre

PostFri Nov 15, 2019 1:55 pm

God, that's a pretty high vacancy rate there.

And isn't it worrying that Fossil and especially Calvin Klein are pulling out so soon after moving (back) into the centre?

St Davids has never lived up to the expectations of Land Securities and Intu; and the John Lewis has underperformed significantly compared to what was expected when they created the second largest store in the group (at least at that time).

I think there are a range of factors - some national/global (e.g. rise of e-commerce), but some specific to the local area:
- I think there's quite a lot of retail park shopping in the catchment - with Llantrisant and Capital retail park having quite a significant fashion offering, and fewer people coming down from the heads of the Valleys because of the Cyfarthfa developments in Merthyr.
- I think people spend relatively less on fashion and more on homes than elsewhere

How bedraggled and empty is it actually looking though?
Offline

Lewisbeecham

  • Posts: 397
  • Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:44 am

Re: St. Davids Shopping Centre

PostFri Nov 15, 2019 2:33 pm

RandomComment wrote:God, that's a pretty high vacancy rate there.

And isn't it worrying that Fossil and especially Calvin Klein are pulling out so soon after moving (back) into the centre?

St Davids has never lived up to the expectations of Land Securities and Intu; and the John Lewis has underperformed significantly compared to what was expected when they created the second largest store in the group (at least at that time).

I think there are a range of factors - some national/global (e.g. rise of e-commerce), but some specific to the local area:
- I think there's quite a lot of retail park shopping in the catchment - with Llantrisant and Capital retail park having quite a significant fashion offering, and fewer people coming down from the heads of the Valleys because of the Cyfarthfa developments in Merthyr.
- I think people spend relatively less on fashion and more on homes than elsewhere

How bedraggled and empty is it actually looking though?


That's the thing, it doesn't necessarily look empty. The big bulk of the empty units are all in a single area, towards the entrance of John Lewis. They are all cleverly hidden with art and other marketing material. As you said with John Lewis not being as much of a draw as hoped, people just are not venturing down that end of St David's 2. The other big stores down that end such as Lakeland and Monsoon, frequently look dead. Traffic seems to stop at Apple and Hollister. Likewise underneath with Superdry. They need to find a way to get customers down that end of the centre.
Offline

Brian62

  • Posts: 8
  • Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:37 pm

Re: St. Davids Shopping Centre

PostFri Nov 15, 2019 3:35 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote:
RandomComment wrote:God, that's a pretty high vacancy rate there.

And isn't it worrying that Fossil and especially Calvin Klein are pulling out so soon after moving (back) into the centre?

St Davids has never lived up to the expectations of Land Securities and Intu; and the John Lewis has underperformed significantly compared to what was expected when they created the second largest store in the group (at least at that time).

I think there are a range of factors - some national/global (e.g. rise of e-commerce), but some specific to the local area:
- I think there's quite a lot of retail park shopping in the catchment - with Llantrisant and Capital retail park having quite a significant fashion offering, and fewer people coming down from the heads of the Valleys because of the Cyfarthfa developments in Merthyr.
- I think people spend relatively less on fashion and more on homes than elsewhere

How bedraggled and empty is it actually looking though?


That's the thing, it doesn't necessarily look empty. The big bulk of the empty units are all in a single area, towards the entrance of John Lewis. They are all cleverly hidden with art and other marketing material. As you said with John Lewis not being as much of a draw as hoped, people just are not venturing down that end of St David's 2. The other big stores down that end such as Lakeland and Monsoon, frequently look dead. Traffic seems to stop at Apple and Hollister. Likewise underneath with Superdry. They need to find a way to get customers down that end of the centre.

Funny about John Lewis, I walked there this morning. At 9:30 traffic for the car park was already queueing back along bute terrace. I wondered how many of those people would go into John Lewis. Turned out to be very very few. There were more people waiting for a free coke at the lorry than in j Lewis.

(The coke lorry was spending at 12 so it was going to be a long wait)
Offline

RandomComment

  • Posts: 863
  • Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:50 pm

Re: St. Davids Shopping Centre

PostFri Nov 15, 2019 7:09 pm

I just don't get the coke lorry thing. I mean, how mundane has someone's life got to be that they will queue for hours to get a free can of coke and see a red lorry with a few lights on it?!?
Offline

Ash

  • Posts: 901
  • Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:28 pm

Re: St. Davids Shopping Centre

PostFri Nov 15, 2019 10:56 pm

RandomComment wrote:I just don't get the coke lorry thing. I mean, how mundane has someone's life got to be that they will queue for hours to get a free can of coke and see a red lorry with a few lights on it?!?


God, I know. Coke seem very good thought at getting local media to make it 'a thing'!
Offline
User avatar

Kyle

  • Posts: 892
  • Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:24 pm

Re: St. Davids Shopping Centre

PostSat Nov 16, 2019 8:57 am

Ash wrote:
RandomComment wrote:I just don't get the coke lorry thing. I mean, how mundane has someone's life got to be that they will queue for hours to get a free can of coke and see a red lorry with a few lights on it?!?


God, I know. Coke seem very good thought at getting local media to make it 'a thing'!


Or a paying them?
Offline

Cardiff

  • Posts: 396
  • Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:48 am

Re: St. Davids Shopping Centre

PostSat Nov 16, 2019 1:19 pm

Coke Cola is a media giant, they have been living off the 'Holidays are Coming' advert with the trucks for years and the traditional Santa as we know him is from Cocal Cola, i think that explains the truck.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests