It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:03 pm

St. Davids Shopping Centre

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Simon_SW17

Re: St. Davids Shopping Centre

PostThu Feb 25, 2021 12:08 pm

That would be a good idea, guess it depends on the rent negotiated.

I was also wondering if Cardiff may be one of the John Lewis downsizes that are planned this year. I'm not sure how well the SD store trades but when it first opened it wasn't doing that well. I imagine that St. David's would be pretty desperate not to have that store empty though so may be offering a good deal on rent there.

Bishop84

PostThu Feb 25, 2021 4:03 pm

Simon_SW17 wrote:That would be a good idea, guess it depends on the rent negotiated.

I was also wondering if Cardiff may be one of the John Lewis downsizes that are planned this year. I'm not sure how well the SD store trades but when it first opened it wasn't doing that well. I imagine that St. David's would be pretty desperate not to have that store empty though so may be offering a good deal on rent there.

I think it was reported that their 'old' stores, which I assume means the ones not purpose built and modern, are the ones whose future may not be certain.

Simon_SW17

PostThu Feb 25, 2021 5:14 pm

The press have mentioned that some older stores may close and some newer may be downsized. John Lewis have dismissed it all as speculation though so who knows?

jonnywill25

PostThu Feb 25, 2021 7:45 pm

Simon_SW17 wrote:The press have mentioned that some older stores may close and some newer may be downsized. John Lewis have dismissed it all as speculation though so who knows?

Cardiff remains to be the largest John Lewis outside of London which may be problematic if there’s any truth to the speculation. I can’t imagine how John Lewis Cardiff could scale back its size? Surely there’s no logical way to subdivide that unit?

Simon_SW17

PostThu Feb 25, 2021 9:16 pm

If that were to happen I assume they'd move completely which would leave SD with a big problem. There's no signal that this is even on the cards mind. We'll find out on 11th March.

Simon__200

PostSat Mar 06, 2021 7:32 am

jonnywill25 wrote:Cardiff remains to be the largest John Lewis outside of London which may be problematic if there’s any truth to the speculation. I can’t imagine how John Lewis Cardiff could scale back its size? Surely there’s no logical way to subdivide that unit?

That's not true, Leeds has been their largest store outside London for a while. And I wouldn't take that much comfort from that anyway, they closed their Birmingham store that had only opened in 2015, and that was only a bit smaller than the Cardiff store at 250,000 square feet. Imagine losing John Lewis from Cardiff! We've already lost Debenhams and House of Fraser is moribund.

Rhodri

PostSat Mar 06, 2021 8:15 am

To be fair everywhere has lost Debenhams and House of Fraser is moribund in most places!

Ash

PostSat Mar 06, 2021 9:46 am

Rhodri wrote:To be fair everywhere has lost Debenhams and House of Fraser is moribund in most places!

True, Cardiff is suffering no worse than other comparable cities. In fact, pre-pandemic Cardiff was one of the very few city centres in the UK where footfall was actually increasing.

jonnywill25

PostSat Mar 06, 2021 12:29 pm

Simon__200 wrote:
jonnywill25 wrote:Cardiff remains to be the largest John Lewis outside of London which may be problematic if there’s any truth to the speculation. I can’t imagine how John Lewis Cardiff could scale back its size? Surely there’s no logical way to subdivide that unit?

That's not true, Leeds has been their largest store outside London for a while. And I wouldn't take that much comfort from that anyway, they closed their Birmingham store that had only opened in 2015, and that was only a bit smaller than the Cardiff store at 250,000 square feet. Imagine losing John Lewis from Cardiff! We've already lost Debenhams and House of Fraser is moribund.

John Lewis Cardiff measures at 280,000 sq ft. I don’t believe the store footprint has reduced in size since opening? John Lewis Leeds occupies a 255,000 sq ft unit.

John Lewis Birmingham was a vanity project led by Mayor of Birmingham Andy Street who was once the Managing Director of JLP. The premise that John Lewis Grand Central was a personal project pushed forward by Andy Street is often cited as one of the reasons the store didn’t last.

My inside source has reassured FOR Cardiff that John Lewis Cardiff will be unaffected by any upcoming JLP store closures.

Ash

PostSat Mar 06, 2021 12:36 pm

I'm not sure how true this is but I do remember hearing somwhere that The Cardiff JL is regarded as being pretty bombproof as it acts as a delivery hub for online sales. Maybe I even read it on here somewhere!
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum