It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:05 am

question

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Lindaperryrecords

question

PostThu Dec 11, 2014 12:08 am

Hi there, I have a question for you all.

The tallest building In the UK is the Shard In Europe I'm not so sure but I think it's the Eiffel tower.

Do you ever think Europe or mostly the UK will ever have a 100 storey skyscraper? I'm not talking something like the shard i'm talking about a building like the willis tower, taipei 101 and the shanghai financial centre? my opinion is if there ever was one going to be built in the UK it would be in London :L which is a shame :evil:

Jantra

Re: question

PostThu Dec 11, 2014 10:04 am

London seems to have the bug for talls and super talls on the past 30 years with first canary wharf and now the city/vauxhall. I think it's likely as we run out of usable land that we start building upwards. It's certainly a trend being adopted across the uk with city centre builds now bring considerably higher than theye have been in thr past.

London or Moscow are probably the most likely candidates for a 100 storey +

Kyle

PostThu Dec 11, 2014 3:32 pm

If one will be built in the UK it will be London first, with any of the other cities being unlikely. In Cardiff we do seem to be edging a little taller, but that tends to be more mid-rises than anything remotely tall. It's a shame, but then we are just a city of some 300,000 or so. Generally it's in metropolisis that you get the taller buildings.

The one thing I would point out is how much easier and cheaper it can be to build in some eastern cities. I can only comment with any authority on the Gulf sates and there it's much easier to build tall because of a lack of regulation on building quality and being able to employ ridiculously cheap labour. It's the same with all the infrastructure projects going up in that part of the world. In Dubai some investors have been sucked in with false promises of completion dates from developers and actually end up funding the construction on residential towers and have to wait years to get hold of their apartments - particularly Supertall residential schemes for example. Compare that with here where it's more difficult to obtain debt to fund big projects.

Not everyone loves tall buildings but I do and I'd love to see more space taken up with tall buidings in Cardiff but I think that will all happen way after my time I'm afraid.

RandomComment

PostThu Dec 11, 2014 4:58 pm

I certainly wouldn't want UAE-style labour standards, wages, and regulations in order to get taller buildings. I find something quite objectionable with a rich country where arabs and western ex pats live lives of relative luxury, resting atop a serving class of south asian workers paid low wages (albeit higher than at home), with poor emploment rights, and little regard for health and safety. It seems colonial, and likely to lead to racism.

Kyle

PostMon Dec 15, 2014 5:20 pm

RandomComment wrote:I certainly wouldn't want UAE-style labour standards, wages, and regulations in order to get taller buildings. I find something quite objectionable with a rich country where arabs and western ex pats live lives of relative luxury, resting atop a serving class of south asian workers paid low wages (albeit higher than at home), with poor emploment rights, and little regard for health and safety. It seems colonial, and likely to lead to racism.

Spot on. I had a great couple of years out there for a number of reasons but found a few things quite uncomfortable. What I found sad more than anything was that most of the businesses treating certain nationalities so poorly were mostly Western owned. Also the countries that many of the low paid ex-pats come from just ignore the problems as well because they are happy for their economies to be boosted by the money being sent home.

Welsh Cool

PostTue Dec 30, 2014 1:10 pm

I know this might be a stupid question but which is the tallest building in Cardiff and how high? (Sorry if someone has answered it somewhere else - I'm new, see :) And how about tallest building in Wales?
Seeing red, feeling blue! http://www.welsh.cool/ccfc.html

elgdav

PostTue Dec 30, 2014 2:30 pm

LocalResident

PostTue Dec 30, 2014 3:23 pm

If you're the leader of Cardiff council you don't believe in the fictional 107m tall Meridian Tower in Swansea. When discussing the central square development he states...

"could include a 27 storey, 92 metre high building – the tallest building ever constructed in Wales."

https://cardiffleadersblog.wordpress.com/2014/11/11/wales-national-field-of-remembrance/

Ash

PostTue Dec 30, 2014 3:43 pm

The thing about Meridian Tower is that it looks ridiculous.

I'm not a fan of "tall for tall's sake". Tall buildings can be as ugly as hell (see Tŷ Pont Haearn) and they only ever work if there is sufficient bulk around them. I've never much liked Altolusso but it looks a whole lot better with the Raddisson and Capital Quarter buildings providing some context.

Personally I'd like to see the city centre 'bulk up' a bit more before going for anything 100m+. That's a personal taste thing - feel free to disagree!

Zach

PostTue Dec 30, 2014 6:34 pm

http://www.skyscrapernews.com/bdbsearch.php?convert=metric&city=Cardiff

I thinks its Bayscape at Cardiff Marina, as this tops the list on this web site. :mrgreen:

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum