It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:35 am

Cardiff University, Maindy Road developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

eric

Cardiff University, Maindy Road developments

PostWed Dec 17, 2014 10:45 pm

Lots going on at this ever developing site, hope to put some pics up this week, but thought I'd start again as lots for Cardiff university could go up here?

Lyndon

Re: Cardiff University, Maindy Road developments

PostThu Dec 18, 2014 9:48 am

Cardiff might attract more funding now it's been rated the fifth best research university in the UK:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-30524940

Jantra

PostThu Dec 18, 2014 10:41 am

Lyndon wrote:Cardiff might attract more funding now it's been rated the fifth best research university in the UK:

I don't know what weight or standing the REF has but whatever it is this can only be seen as good news.

Ash

PostThu Dec 18, 2014 1:29 pm

Jantra wrote:
Lyndon wrote:Cardiff might attract more funding now it's been rated the fifth best research university in the UK:

I don't know what weight or standing the REF has but whatever it is this can only be seen as good news.

Cardiff Met is 42nd - the highest ranking 'new' university. The TES has an interesting take on what how the stats work and what they mean.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/news/ref-2014-results-table-of-excellence/2017590.article

penarth bloke

PostThu Dec 18, 2014 1:43 pm

I would love for university research facilities to get together with the business and financial communities to create well paid, world class jobs.

RandomComment

PostThu Dec 18, 2014 4:57 pm

One problem with devolution is that - unlike research council funding - HEFC funding is done on a nation-by-nation basis (i.e. its devolved to Wales). This means that if Welsh Unis move up the rankings overall (which I think they have), then Wales doesn't get more more money overall. Instead money is just reallocated between universities in Wales from those who have done relatively poorly within Wales (even if they've improved relative to the rest of the UK) to those who have done relatively within Wales.

So more money from Cardiff comes from other Welsh unis - not from a general UK pot.

Not sure how Wales would fare if funding was allocated across UK as a whole based on merit. I think oru fund is about £120 million, compared to £2 billion in England. Our 6% share probably compares pretty favourably to what we'd get on a UK-wide basis (its more than our share of research council funding). But it does create a bit of a zero sum game within Wales.

penarth bloke

PostThu Dec 18, 2014 5:56 pm

Universities need to link up more with businesses and the banking sectors so as to develop marketable products that result from that research and to manufacture such products locally. Some of the profits from those sales can then be re-invested to create more research and even more products and jobs.

LocalLurker

PostThu Dec 18, 2014 9:14 pm

University of South Wales and Cardiff Met should still merge IMO to concentrate our finite, though exceptional, resources but cracking results for our universities!

Karl

PostTue Feb 10, 2015 1:34 pm

I went past the Cubric development earlier today. It looks as though it's getting close to the topped out phase. The concrete structure looks fairly complete and they are currently in the process of cladding it in huge boards of insulating material.

It will be a lot closer to Maindy Rd than the Haydn Ellis building but shorter and longer. It could have looked oppressive with the traditional two storey terraced houses across the road but actually I think it will fit in quite nicely.

Nickynoo

PostThu Feb 12, 2015 1:03 pm

They are fixing a terracotta tile to the front of the composite cladding along with some Zinc rainscreen in places. Will look stunning when its finished.
Next

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum