It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 6:40 pm

FA Cup Tie Attendance

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Zach

FA Cup Tie Attendance

PostSat Jan 03, 2015 3:02 pm

Cardiff beat Colchester at a near-empty Cardiff City Stadium to become the first team to reach the fourth round of the FA Cup.

The attendance of 4,194 was the smallest ever at Cardiff City Stadium, lower than the crowd of 5,545 that watched Cardiff's League Cup match against Dagenham & Redbridge in 2009.

If this was the FA Cup "magic" that the Beeb are on about, I think the "magic" has gone a bit far in that they made the crowd disappear!

I was in the pub and it was on, no one was the slightest bit interested, sound was even turned down with subtitles on!
The stadium looked really sad, looked like a training match.

Has everyone now given up on Cardiff City FC, resigned to mid table championship for the next few years. :?

AlwaysBeBlue

Re: FA Cup Tie Attendance

PostSat Jan 03, 2015 6:39 pm

I dont think Cardiff fans have had an easy run over the last 40 years compared to the likes of man utd, liverpool, everton and so on.

problem at Cardiff is we have had to endure many years of low league football, false dawns and money men that promised the promised land to enter another false dawn.

when tan came along, a lot was promised.. one of them being debt to equity that has not transpired.

A lot of Cardiff fans accepted the red for the chance of that promise and the chance for Cardiff to be on the world stage in one of, if not the best league in the world.

A lot of Cardiff fans could not accept the red as this is against all we have known, we chanted Blue Army on the terraces on cold winter evening's in the old Div 4. We went through the bad in Blue and could not accept this alien colour to us at home.

so.. there was a lot of bad blood between the fans who wanted a taste of glory for the firt time in 40 years and the fans who would start from the bottom again in Blue, along the way we attracted a lot of new fans who watched Cardiff but followed man utd, liverpool and so on.. these fans may have become Cardiff true fans if we would have been a force in the premier league.

So.. now we have lost a few thousand glory hunters, tan has been seen to do it his way which is not working, changed our heritage and fans sick of the in-fighting. .. and now all starting to sing from the same hymn book, we are starting to protest more.

one of the protest options is to boycott some games and the fa cup game was one, this together with a Friday night game, being on TV and the diabolical set of performances in December all helped to lower that attendance.

However, the attendances will pick up again and if anyone takes us over and returns us to Blue.. we will be back how we were.

Jantra

PostSat Jan 03, 2015 8:34 pm

Not a lot else to add really. Tan has ripped the heart and sole out of the club. City fans are becoming apathetic to the whole club. Old habits die hard, but it seems to be more and more have had enough

LocalLurker

PostSat Jan 03, 2015 10:02 pm

I will not step back in the Cardiff City Stadium until they play in blue. Previously had been a season ticket holder but didn't go to a match in our promotion season and watched all of last year online. The soul has gone, hopefully not forever

Ash

PostSun Jan 04, 2015 8:33 am

I suspect that I'm like most Cardiffians in that I like seeing local sports teams doing well without really counting myself a 'fan' or an 'expert' on any of them. On average I probably attend half a dozen sporting fixtures a year and I tend to go to whatever has a bit of a 'buzz' about it at the time. It could be football, rugby, ice hockey... internationals, club games... whatever.

I know that makes me what some would dismiss as a 'glory hunter'. I'm not insulted, I regard myself as a casual consumer of sport in the same way that I'm a casual consumer of cinema, theatre and eating out. Since when is there anything wrong with that?

I have to admit that I'm a bit baffled as to why people get het up about what colour shirt a team are wearing - but that's their right and if they choose to stay away from games in protest so be it.

What I find more extraordinary is that the owners of football clubs seem to lack basic business nous. Presumably people like Vincent Tan must know the basics of business and customer service - how did they acquire their fortunes otherwise? Yet when the take over a football club a sort of 'soccer madness' seems to take hold and the rules of business seem to go out of window. How can it make any sense to alienate your core-customers - or am I missing something?

I come back to myself as a casual consumer. Let's assume CCFC go on to have a good run in the FA cup. I might be tempted to go along to a match if there was an attractive fixture - but part of what attracts me is the atmosphere created by people who are far more loyal to CCFC than I am.

It doesn't bother me if CCFC play in purple shirts with orange polka dots - it does bother me if a match is played in a half empty stadium that lacks atmosphere. I'm just at a loss to see what Vincent Tan's business plan is. Maybe he doesn't have one and it's just a case of 'rich men's toys'.

Ben In London

PostTue Jan 06, 2015 10:58 am

I've lost interest in the club over the past few years because a) it's unrecognisable to the one I cared about in the past and b) I have far more important things to devote time/energy to, such as family and career.

But what really brought this all home was I was in Cardiff this weekend and didn't even know the match was being played until I looked at Twitter just as the match was going into half time!

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostThu Jan 08, 2015 12:54 am

Judgement Day? perhaps after thursdays meeting us blue bluebirds may have something to smile about for the first time in a long while - actually pretty much since we went red! So I'm crossing my fingers that the non-sensical re-brand is reversed. Mind you if the club don't offer something - then I reckon they'd better prepare themselves for a mass exodus regarding season ticket sales. I know so many people who have reluctantly put up with Tans meddling with our identity and are ready to walk away - and I'm one of them. I don't want to walk away, but would rather do so than continue as things are - so I'm hoping that by this time tomorrow night there's hope or confirmation that I won't have to!!
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

murfilicious

PostThu Jan 08, 2015 9:52 am

paul cardiffwalesmap wrote:Judgement Day? perhaps after thursdays meeting us blue bluebirds may have something to smile about for the first time in a long while - actually pretty much since we went red! So I'm crossing my fingers that the non-sensical re-brand is reversed. Mind you if the club don't offer something - then I reckon they'd better prepare themselves for a mass exodus regarding season ticket sales. I know so many people who have reluctantly put up with Tans meddling with our identity and are ready to walk away - and I'm one of them. I don't want to walk away, but would rather do so than continue as things are - so I'm hoping that by this time tomorrow night there's hope or confirmation that I won't have to!!

I'm pessimistic, I cannot see Tan changing his mind regardless of how well this evening's meeting goes... But I hope I am wrong!
To that end, I wonder if a club is allowed to change kit midway through a season, doubt there's any precedent set so would be interesting to see what the Football League do... Most likely outcome would be a return to blue for the forthcoming season.
Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue...

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostThu Jan 08, 2015 10:50 am

Yes that mr Tan is a very stubborn man! but if nothing comes of tonight I think the damage done by having the meeting just to make it look like he listens will snowball the feeling of 'giving up on the club' for many. If tonight ends up being a continuation of 'red' but promises of other stuff I for one will not be renewing my season ticket or my daughters for next season. The anti red feeling will go through the roof! and will be apparent at the game on saturday, and I can see another 4,000 gate - or less for our fa cup game against Reading. BUT I wonder whether the penny is actually dropping and potential embarrasment may out trump stubborn, in Tans mind! Regardless of whether tonights meeting ends up being positive I think we'll be kicking off next season at home in blue - one things for sure I won't be seeing them kicking off in red. Fingers crossed - but whatever happens I see today as the tipping point
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Jantra

PostThu Jan 08, 2015 1:15 pm

murfilicious wrote:
paul cardiffwalesmap wrote:Judgement Day? perhaps after thursdays meeting us blue bluebirds may have something to smile about for the first time in a long while - actually pretty much since we went red! So I'm crossing my fingers that the non-sensical re-brand is reversed. Mind you if the club don't offer something - then I reckon they'd better prepare themselves for a mass exodus regarding season ticket sales. I know so many people who have reluctantly put up with Tans meddling with our identity and are ready to walk away - and I'm one of them. I don't want to walk away, but would rather do so than continue as things are - so I'm hoping that by this time tomorrow night there's hope or confirmation that I won't have to!!

I'm pessimistic, I cannot see Tan changing his mind regardless of how well this evening's meeting goes... But I hope I am wrong!
To that end, I wonder if a club is allowed to change kit midway through a season, doubt there's any precedent set so would be interesting to see what the Football League do... Most likely outcome would be a return to blue for the forthcoming season.

I think the fans have been getting carried away somewhat given what the emperor said on Christmas Day. However, he now has the perfect excuse to backtrack without losing face - "I have listened to what the fans have wanted. if I had known this at the beginning then of course we would never have rebranded"

hope springs eternal but I'm not optimistic
Next

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum