It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:58 am

General Developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Mikey

Re: General Developments

PostSun Aug 06, 2017 4:53 pm

Take with a pinch of salt as I've heard this from a friend of a friend who works at Ikea but apparently, the Cardiff store is closing.

I'm dubious but that would be a real shame!

Zach

PostSun Aug 06, 2017 5:38 pm

Yes, I have heard this too.

Apparently its being converted into student accommodation and a cognitive spatial psychology experiment all rolled into one.
The best thing is they don't need to do any building work. :lol:

Zach

PostSun Aug 06, 2017 5:46 pm

On a closing down theme, I was shocked when I walked around Queens Arcade yesterday.

Photos taken on a Saturday lunchtime!!

Very nicely done architectural features, but sadly no shops open save for the ones directly facing Queens St itself and the obligatory Poundland.

The whole of Queens Street is turning into a dump, looks like something out of the 1970's Homeless in every doorway and 2 other Poundland shops. There are more shops offering to fix your old mobile than one selling new ones.
This is before interest rates in the UK go up!
God help us.

Dr O

PostSun Aug 06, 2017 6:15 pm

Mikey wrote:Take with a pinch of salt as I've heard this from a friend of a friend who works at Ikea but apparently, the Cardiff store is closing.

I'm dubious but that would be a real shame!

I've heard a rumour of this too but the version I heard had them moving to Dumballs so I dismissed it as hear'say, but maybe there is something happening?

It would free up a lot of land for housing combined with the old gas works.

Rhodri

PostSun Aug 06, 2017 7:05 pm

Dumballs Rd would be OK for Ikea, not sure where though? Can't see it closing as it does really well.

Msmurf

PostSun Aug 06, 2017 7:58 pm

I doubt if Ikea would leave Cardiff...but it would be better in a different location...
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

Spud101

PostSun Aug 06, 2017 8:43 pm

Zach wrote:On a closing down theme, I was shocked when I walked around Queens Arcade yesterday.

Photos taken on a Saturday lunchtime!!

Very nicely done architectural features, but sadly no shops open save for the ones directly facing Queens St itself and the obligatory Poundland.

The whole of Queens Street is turning into a dump, looks like something out of the 1970's Homeless in every doorway and 2 other Poundland shops. There are more shops offering to fix your old mobile than one selling new ones.
God help us.

Would this be in preparation for the renovation?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/b ... g-12747887

Simon_SW17

PostSun Aug 06, 2017 10:14 pm

Zach wrote:On a closing down theme, I was shocked when I walked around Queens Arcade yesterday.

God help us.

Capitol Centre not Queen's Arcade.

Where are the redevelopment plans? The majority of the centre is now empty, they can't sit on this for too long without bleeding cash surely?

Mathew5

PostSun Aug 06, 2017 11:05 pm

I think it's fair to say that Queen Street has had its day as a shopping Street. Zara, Primark, and Topshop are the only things keeping it going. It's going the same way as Swansea High Street.

I think Cardiff has peaked. We've lost so many decent retailers. I'm a tall bloke and wanted to buy some clothes in High and Mighty last week but it's gone.

I have next to no reason for visiting the city centre anymore.

Msmurf

PostMon Aug 07, 2017 5:45 am

While places like Queen Street look depressing this is all part of a long term trend that affects city centres worldwide...not just Cardiff. It started with big shopping centres and then accelerated with out of centre developments. But this phase latest phase is due to the internet. An increasing number of people just use shopping centres as a glorified showroom and then buy what they want online. Soon our high streets will contain cafes and niche retailers only and secondary shopping centres such as Capitol Centre will be able to support lunchtime trade only.

Sad but inevitable.
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum