It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 am

General Developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Mathew5

Re: General Developments

PostMon Aug 07, 2017 6:40 am

You're tight. Plus there are just fewer things to buy, CDs and DVDs, anyone? - and I think we'ee overcoming materialism.

Perhaps it's time to reintroduce traffic and trams on Queen Street.

Philnpt

PostMon Aug 07, 2017 1:13 pm

http://planning.cardiff.gov.uk/online-a ... APR_120926
Is this a new development, I'm lost with the amount of mid rise student developments on city road

daearegwr

PostMon Aug 07, 2017 2:24 pm

Philnpt wrote:http://planning.cardiff.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=_CARDIFF_DCAPR_120926
Is this a new development, I'm lost with the amount of mid rise student developments on city road

Site already had planning permission under reference 16/00887 which is currently being built (groundworks are ongoing). Reading the covering letter looks like they are adding 2 additional storeys to that previously approved design to squeeze another 21 units in. So it'll be an 11 storey tall building at the end.

Zach

PostMon Aug 07, 2017 3:01 pm

I just wonder is this where all the demand for Student accommodation in high rise blocks is coming from?

This was the lead story in the Sunday Times, where universities in the UK are actively discriminating against UK/EU students so they can charge the foreign student rates. Foreign (far east) student much more likely to live in 'safe' high rise units as they do at home.

Below is a table of UK cities and the increase/decrease in Students from each category.

Liverpool/Manchester is also experiencing a student high rise building boom and the figure below seem to back this up?
Strange that Bristol is no where on the list, which also rings true as not a lot of high rise developments on the other side of the Severn right now!

This seems like another in a long series of UK Ponzi schemes as it will eventually have to come to an end.

elgdav

PostMon Aug 07, 2017 3:39 pm

And you get beauties like this

http://imgur.com/a/TdClh

daearegwr

PostMon Aug 07, 2017 4:15 pm

elgdav wrote:And you get beauties like this

I walk past it on the way to work each day and despair and how cheap and horrible it looks with that naff cladding. I can't fathom how something this terrible looking can get planning permission, but then remember that Cardiff Council allowed Ty Pont Haearn to be built :lol:

Baysailor

PostMon Aug 07, 2017 4:48 pm

The Cardiff number is interesting. If you generalise (always a dangerous thing to do) and say non EU students will prefer to rent in the new builds dotted around the city, then Cardiff should be building another 1800 places before we hit saturation point. Anybody got an idea how close we are counting the recent, in progress, and still on the planning paper student rooms we have?

Simon__200

PostTue Aug 08, 2017 9:14 am

Baysailor wrote:The Cardiff number is interesting. If you generalise (always a dangerous thing to do) and say non EU students will prefer to rent in the new builds dotted around the city, then Cardiff should be building another 1800 places before we hit saturation point. Anybody got an idea how close we are counting the recent, in progress, and still on the planning paper student rooms we have?

Depends whether they managed to occupy all the properties that were added the previous 12 months at the rates they planned I guess. For example, didn't the Park Place development not quite open in time for last year's infkux anyway?

murfilicious

PostWed Aug 09, 2017 8:35 am

elgdav wrote:And you get beauties like this

Design inspiration?

Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue...

Zach

PostWed Aug 09, 2017 9:11 am

More likely this was the inspiration!

PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum