It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:07 am

General Developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Philnpt

Re: General Developments

PostWed Aug 09, 2017 1:17 pm

Plans have been submitted for the custom house redevelopment.
http://planning.cardiff.gov.uk/online-a ... APR_120969
Planning app has also been submitted for the wedge shaped tower down the bay
http://planning.cardiff.gov.uk/online-a ... APR_120895

redragon

PostWed Aug 09, 2017 2:49 pm

Oh. My. God. You would have hoped the design might have evolved?

Rhodri

PostWed Aug 09, 2017 3:42 pm

Obviously swimming against the tide here but I quite like the Premier Inn suggestion. It's not white so that's a start,it doesn't try to be anything which is admirable. Does this mean that the Premier Inn on Churchill Way is moving?

Lyndon

PostWed Aug 09, 2017 4:20 pm

I can probably live with that design for the Premier Inn, it's not fantastic, but it's not actively hideous either. The diagonal black aluminium cladding has the potential to at least be reasonably interesting close up. Plus it's a site that's long overdue for development, and we really need more hotel rooms in the city.

The planning statement says these are additional rooms, so I don't think anything is happening to any of their other hotels.

LocalLurker

PostWed Aug 09, 2017 6:01 pm

I don't mind the Custom House - Premier Inn plans, the City needs far more hotel rooms, Custom House needs developing and the height is pretty impressive and would look good alongside the proposed Hope Street tower

Mr Blue Sky

PostWed Aug 09, 2017 7:36 pm

I drove into central London last week to drop off a young relative laden with luggage in Bloomsbury. I hadn't realised that the Grenfell tower was so prominent and visible while driving along the A40 Westway viaduct. Seeing it at close quarters was both chilling and sobering. This carbuncle, which will be prominent on the face of our most-loved and famous street, bears a close visual resemblance to the devastated tower.

No thanks.

sebcity

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 9:12 pm

I’m sorry but that Custom House Tower, is all sorts of levels of wrong. I know some feel this would ‘compliment’ the Hope Street Tower (providing it happens), but I don’t see it myself. We a gorgeous tower of glass going up next to Admiral, and hopefully the Hope Street Tower too, this Custom House Tower, is not the sort of building that needs to be blighted by Cardiff’s Sky Line!!

Kyle

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 9:20 pm

sebcity wrote:I’m sorry but that Custom House Tower, is all sorts of levels of wrong. I know some feel this would ‘compliment’ the Hope Street Tower (providing it happens), but I don’t see it myself. We a gorgeous tower of glass going up next to Admiral, and hopefully the Hope Street Tower too, this Custom House Tower, is not the sort of building that needs to be blighted by Cardiff’s Sky Line!!

Totally agree. I don't mind the colour, but the rest of it is hideous, I particularly hate the windows on the north facing part. What worries me is it'll just get approved as it is because the site has seen so many proposals come to nothing. The council also have quite a few other mid-rises in planning at the moment. I hope this stands out as a bad example of one and gets refused but I wonder if because there are so many relatively tall buildings that it'll just pass them by. The fact that it's just across from the Maldron (which I love) should hopefully illustrate how piss poor this is.

redragon

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 10:09 pm

you know, and i've said it before, if those of us who are really concerned about these things objected, the council moight feel like they were subject to a tiny element of scrutiny, rather than easily announcing that there are no objections and push it through committee. Of all the major (and not all good) schemes coming through only the City Road scheme has received significant opposition (rightly so) and the Council are treading more carefully as a result.

Zach

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 11:33 am

When you compare the foot fall of Saint David's/Capitol and similar shopping centres in Birmingham Grand Central/Bullring, there is no comparison. They have queuing systems for the escalators! and the number of people (especially with bags) is striking.

Weekday lunch time.

PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum