It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:51 am

Herbert Street - student accommodation

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

AlwaysBeBlue

Re: Herbert Street - student accommodation

PostSun Aug 27, 2017 7:20 pm

This is definitely not 80m, more like 60odd metres. The crane looks tiny when under it.
Unless in some kind of dip that is x amount of meteres lower than the surrounding area

Kyle

PostSun Aug 27, 2017 8:59 pm

AlwaysBeBlue wrote:This is definitely not 80m, more like 60odd metres. The crane looks tiny when under it.
Unless in some kind of dip that is x amount of meteres lower than the surrounding area

I was told that it'll be taller than the Radisson by the men on site. What are you comparing it to though?

To me the crane doesn't look any shorter than the Watkins Jones one on Bridge Street when you are close to it. I looked at that crane and thought the same, how is a 20+ floor building going to go up under that crane...and right now it's up to around 13 floors and only half way up the crane height.

elgdav

PostSun Aug 27, 2017 10:32 pm

The crane is taller than altolusso, which is 72m.

AlwaysBeBlue

PostMon Aug 28, 2017 12:28 pm

Kyle wrote:
AlwaysBeBlue wrote:This is definitely not 80m, more like 60odd metres. The crane looks tiny when under it.

I was told that it'll be taller than the Radisson by the men on site. What are you comparing it to though?

To me the crane doesn't look any shorter than the Watkins Jones one on Bridge Street when you are close to it. I looked at that crane and thought the same, how is a 20+ floor building going to go up under that crane...and right now it's up to around 13 floors and only half way up the crane height.

That is the Bridge street one that is up to 13 floors. The Herbert one has not started yet. I was driving by top of Bute St and the cabin looked low down to me and a lot lower than Radisson and Bridge street crane ?

Kyle

PostMon Aug 28, 2017 1:17 pm

Have you stood right close to both cranes? Not driven but stood? My reference to the Bridge street one is when I stood near it before it started I thought it looked short for something that was about to put up a 26 floor building, just like you think the same about the Herbert street one. Right now it's at floor 13/14, so already half way up to it's top height and the structure is only half way up the crane. I walk passed both cranes almost daily either on my way to and from work, they look roughly the same height to me.

Also, isn't the centre of town slightly higher than south of the railway line? So it will be higher in feet/metres than the Radisson but maybe not look taller when looked at from a distance.

As excited as we are to get more towers, 80m isn't all that tall either, so does a crane stood there on it's own without any structure next to it look less impressive? The Bridge Street tower didn't look that big when it first went up compared to the Admiral office.

Jantra

PostMon Aug 28, 2017 1:32 pm

I may be wrong but surely the height of the building will be higher than the cab? I'd have thought the jib angle meant the cab could be lower?

AlwaysBeBlue

PostMon Aug 28, 2017 2:16 pm

Kyle wrote:Have you stood right close to both cranes? Not driven but stood? My reference to the Bridge street one is when I stood near it before it started I thought it looked short for something that was about to put up a 26 floor building, just like you think the same about the Herbert street one. Right now it's at floor 13/14, so already half way up to it's top height and the structure is only half way up the crane. I walk passed both cranes almost daily either on my way to and from work, they look roughly the same height to me.

Also, isn't the centre of town slightly higher than south of the railway line? So it will be higher in feet/metres than the Radisson but maybe not look taller when looked at from a distance.

As excited as we are to get more towers, 80m isn't all that tall either, so does a crane stood there on it's own without any structure next to it look less impressive? The Bridge Street tower didn't look that big when it first went up compared to the Admiral office.

Not stood under, only looked from a few different angles... Bute street, Rumney hill and the new road going to the Bay.
I think Herbert Street is probably in a dip.
I thing that Capitol tower will still be the highest building look wise in Cardiff when these two buildings are finished.
Hopefully something taller than 80m will come along sooner than later

moyceyyy

PostMon Aug 28, 2017 3:55 pm

Maybe they will be taking the tower crane down and attaching a smaller one to the side of the building?

Msmurf

PostMon Aug 28, 2017 4:04 pm

Maybe..... It is a luffing jib...
Maybe ..... It is self climbing...

I don't know but it could be one of the above...
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

Cardiff

PostMon Aug 28, 2017 4:23 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum