It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 am

Charles Street Mixed Use Development with Tower

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Cen

Re: Charles Street Mixed Use Development with Tower

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 6:17 pm

It's hardly the best lighting to make a fair judgement. I'd wait a while before we start complaining. Or, like Paul, we could go take a proper look ourselves.

Kyle

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 6:39 pm

Cen wrote:It's hardly the best lighting to make a fair judgement. I'd wait a while before we start complaining. Or, like Paul, we could go take a proper look ourselves.

I saw it lunchtime the other day. I'm not sure I'm bothered either way. I'm bored by all the grey and white we have everywhere and I want to see some colour on our skyline. I might change my mind as the cladding continues though!

What I am curious about is why it seems so different to the pictures we are all so familiar with.

Jantra

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 7:00 pm

Kyle wrote:
Cen wrote:It's hardly the best lighting to make a fair judgement. I'd wait a while before we start complaining. Or, like Paul, we could go take a proper look ourselves.

I saw it lunchtime the other day. I'm not sure I'm bothered either way. I'm bored by all the grey and white we have everywhere and I want to see some colour on our skyline. I might change my mind as the cladding continues though!

what I am curious about is why it seems so different to the pictures we are all so familiar with .

Honestly?

When has the finished product ever looked like the renders

Kyle

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 7:10 pm

Jantra wrote:
Kyle wrote:

what I am curious about is why it seems so different to the pictures we are all so familiar with .

Honestly?

I'm not surprised, just wondering if Peirianydd is prepared to comment on why it's the case for this specific development. It's rare they we have someone on here directly involved in a development we are discussing. Not sure if he'll be allowed to comment but worth asking!

Zach

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 7:54 pm

Down to "buffed golden copper" translated from the Welsh speaking architect as "shitty dull orange"

I'll get my jacket!!

Cardiff

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 8:27 pm

Looks like a Matt boring red colour, where is the shiny reflective bronze we were excited about!

Amoore

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 11:03 am

Always good to completely write off something based on seeing one tiny row of render.

Karl

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 11:32 am

I don't think anyone has written it off yet (I never rated it in the first place).

I think there is a legitimate concern that the cladding appear to be of a completely different colour to the renders. It's a very big building which will be visible from around the city centre. The cladding is arguably the most important aspect in terms of visual effect. No-one wants a lego tower dominating their city centre.

Surely in projects of this magnitude examples of the materials are put before the planning officer/committee before the application is decided upon? If so then the building was always going to have this cladding and the renders are misleading or they have changed the colour of the cladding (at least for this part of the building) in which case the council must be able to intervene on the basis that the developers are acting outside of the scope of the permission granted?

moyceyyy

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 11:35 am

Jantra wrote:
Kyle wrote:

Honestly?

No1, 2 and BBC HQ at central square?

Jantra

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 11:55 am

Karl wrote:I don't think anyone has written it off yet (I never rated it in the first place).

I think there is a legitimate concern that the cladding appear to be of a completely different colour to the renders. It's a very big building which will be visible from around the city centre. The cladding is arguably the most important aspect in terms of visual effect. No-one wants a lego tower dominating their city centre.

Surely in projects of this magnitude examples of the materials are put before the planning officer/committee before the application is decided upon? If so then the building was always going to have this cladding and the renders are misleading or they have changed the colour of the cladding (at least for this part of the building) in which case the council must be able to intervene on the basis that the developers are acting outside of the scope of the permission granted?

you are too pessimistic Karl, just remember, everything is awesome....
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum