It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 am

Central Square

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

murfilicious

Re: Central Square

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 7:52 am

Zach wrote:Will the trains and buses cope with the 9am rush?

They don't currently...
Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue...

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 8:51 am

So with the BBC - HMRC and occupants of No2 Central Sq. in 2019 we could have at least 5,000 more people on a daily basis travelling to and from central square. As Zach illustrated very many of these workers are at the moment travelling by car to Llanishen and Llandaff. Can we assume that someone somewhere is aware of the mayhem we can expect! conversations about transport issues continue but actions are thin on the ground. I know a meeting about the new bus station happened last night so maybe we'll know more very soon but in layman terms... get a f****** move on!!!!
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Simon_SW17

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 10:32 am

Well all that's definite so far is 5 reconditioned 40 year old Thameslink 4 carriage trains are coming to Arriva next Spring, and they're partially to replace Sprinters that are being taken out of service to be modified for disability access.

I can't see things going well when trains are already leaving people at stations because they can't cram them in. Someone needs to take the reins on this transport debacle.

EDIT: I mistakenly wrote NEW trains! :roll:
Last edited by Simon_SW17 on Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 11:03 am

Simon_SW17 wrote:Well all that's definite so far is 5 new 4 carriage trains are coming to Arriva next Spring, and they're partially to replace Sprinters that are being taken out of service to be modified for disability access.

I can't see things going well when trains are already leaving people at stations because they can't cram them in. Someone needs to take the reins on this transport debacle.

Blimey what am I bleating on about "5 new 4 carriage trains are coming to Arriva next Spring" and I didn't think they had a plan!!! worrying
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Zach

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 9:13 am

I am very impressed with the station side of the new BBC HQ, but rather less so with the brutalist architectural style of the street side.
It looks like some former communist state Intelligence HQ or maybe the "ministry of left wing information".
Made to look threatening!

Disclaimers:
The Blue appearance on the building is due to light conditions and has in no way been edited by myself.
Your Bus Station is at risk if you fail to keep up payments on it.
Posts can be deleted.

moyceyyy

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 12:55 am

Zach wrote:I am very impressed with the station side of the new BBC HQ, but rather less so with the brutalist architectural style of the street side.
It looks like some former communist state Intelligence HQ or maybe the "ministry of left wing information".
Made to look threatening!

Disclaimers:
The Blue appearance on the building is due to light conditions and has in no way been edited by myself.
Your Bus Station is at risk if you fail to keep up payments on it.
Posts can be deleted.

Even brutalism can look alright if done correctly. I do see where you're coming from - the massive concrete curves look terrible. Definitely could have done something to make this side look as impressive as station side.

Jantra

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 9:48 am

My concern is that wood street is now very narrow with ten storey buildings all along it's length on either side. Whilst I believe in increased density, this is somewhat overbearing.

As for the BBC, let's wait and see it when it's finished.

Kyle

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 1:26 pm

Jantra wrote:My concern is that wood street is now very narrow with ten storey buildings all along it's length on either side. Whilst I believe in increased density, this is somewhat overbearing.

Isn't it going to get a bit wider though, with the new HMRC building being set back a bit?

Cwlcymro

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 2:22 pm

Simon_SW17 wrote:Well all that's definite so far is 5 reconditioned 40 year old Thameslink 4 carriage trains are coming to Arriva next Spring, and they're partially to replace Sprinters that are being taken out of service to be modified for disability access.

EDIT: I mistakenly wrote NEW trains! :roll:

Nothing much will happen now until the new franchise is awarded. Arriva won't spend on new trains when they could be about to lose the whole franchise. Final submissions by the four companies bidding are to be made by December.

moyceyyy

PostMon Oct 09, 2017 12:16 am

Kyle wrote:
Jantra wrote:My concern is that wood street is now very narrow with ten storey buildings all along it's length on either side. Whilst I believe in increased density, this is somewhat overbearing.

Isn't it going to get a bit wider though, with the new HMRC building being set back a bit?

Hopefully it will be because a dual carriageway or at least an S4 lane road will need to be put in, don't want a lack of width in a place that high of density. Could be a disaster in the future
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum