It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:17 pm

Dolffin Quay

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

elgdav

Re: Dolffin Quay

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 11:11 pm

Once I realised that the wooden structures in the water near there were called Dolphins I thought the name was actually ok.

Jantra

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 9:29 am

tis a shame. I know I'm in a minority here but I quite liked it. 24 storeys isn't that high at all, maybe 20m or so taller than Celestia, but sloping backwards, it wouldn't have felt that intrusive at all.

Kyle

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 10:04 am

Jantra wrote:tis a shame. I know I'm in a minority here but I quite liked it. 24 storeys isn't that high at all, maybe 20m or so taller than Celestia, but sloping backwards, it wouldn't have felt that intrusive at all.

I liked it as well, but then I'm rarely down there these days and don't live there so wouldn't be affected by it at all. For me that end of the inner harbour needs a kick up the arse with any of the proposals down there (particularly the Igloo stuff) taking an age to happen. This would have added more life and facilities.

The name was shit though.

Karl

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 10:06 am

I really couldn't make up my mind about it.

I think its a given that ABP will be making another application. I suspect that Dolffin Quay was testing the waters to see what they could get away with. It will be interesting to see what happens next.

I may be on my own here but that part of the Bay is something and nothing. The childrens play area is dismal and the expanse of grass and gravel between the pub and the water is under utilised. We do live in a city and this area is ripe for sustainable development.

Jantra

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 10:36 am

I think there is some merit in your 2nd paragraph Karl. This did cross my mind that we may now get the real application being submitted

Cardiff

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 1:41 pm

I couldn't make up my mind about it either, i do feel there needs to be some redevelopment of this area as it is wasted. The grassy area is lovely and would have been a loss, but could do with some seating around it. The waterfront area used as a surface car park is wholly underutilized and needs something doing to it. I do think the tower took up too much of the space and while i had no issue with height there was very little provision for car parking etc.

Lewisbeecham

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 5:02 pm

I actually quite liked it - and I live pretty close. The only issue I had was the car parking.

They'll be back. It'll just take some time.
Previous

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum