It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:00 am

Cardiff Retail

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Mr Blue Sky

Re: Cardiff Retail

PostWed Dec 06, 2017 3:02 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote:St. David's 2 could be sold for £3.4b!!!
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/b ... 000998.amp

It is a part of a £3.4 billion deal. Intu owns 50% of SD and around 15 other malls, many in partnership with other bodies.
SD is worth around £1billion, probably.

Bluegazza

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 12:43 am

Land at toys r us.

Cardiff West - Sports Zone

The council promise to continue investing in the west of the city as a sports area.

It includes looking at a new home for Cardiff Blues, enhancing Glamorgan Cricket’s facilities, and creating Wales’ “foremost location for sport, leisure and recreation” at the International Sports Village.

They also suggest a new home for Sport Wales, currently at Sophia Gardens.

From the council document could Cardiff Blues revisit initial plans for ISV and move to bay? If not only to force Cardiff Athletics Club to sign a deal at arms park, they could be left with no main tenant and a crumbling old ground.

Also sport wales from Sophia Gardens an indoor sports complex might not be so far off the mark?

Simon_SW17

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 9:23 am

And where's the transport infrastructure for such a move? The odd bus doesn't cut it, there should have been permanent public transport infrastructure put in place to the sports village before development began.

HalRobsonKanu

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 9:57 am

I can barely imagine how badly such a move would go down with Cardiff Blues / Cardiff RFC supporters.

Bluegazza

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 9:36 pm

Agreed wouldn't go down well but can give you a few scenarios;

1. Cardiff Blues are losing 1m a year at the moment, with staying at arms park as it is Cardiff Blues go bust and Cardiff RFC who are run by CAC continue to play as a semi pro team.

2. Cardiff Blues get a modern rugby stadium with excellent facilities but move from current ground and upset support base

My fav

3. Use the threat of moving to get a deal done with CAC redevelop the arms park to multi purpose area a with city deal money and build up around ground

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 1:28 am

Bluegazza wrote:Agreed wouldn't go down well but can give you a few scenarios;

1. Cardiff Blues are losing 1m a year at the moment, with staying at arms park as it is Cardiff Blues go bust and Cardiff RFC who are run by CAC continue to play as a semi pro team.

2. Cardiff Blues get a modern rugby stadium with excellent facilities but move from current ground and upset support base

My fav

3. Use the threat of moving to get a deal done with CAC redevelop the arms park to multi purpose area a with city deal money and build up around ground

Totally agree - perhaps this all hangs on preferred arena location announcement - and surely a lot of boxes would be ticked if it were at CAC. The fact that this could see a re-emergence of interest in the Blues with the state of the art stadium that this would give them is a 'two for one' benefit for the city of Cardiff. I dread to think what would become of the Blues if they didn't remain at CAC, let's face it the Cardiff City Stadium 'experiment' didn't work and if it's a new stadium maybe further afield (ie ISV) the crowds maybe poor.
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

HalRobsonKanu

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 10:23 am

Bluegazza wrote:Agreed wouldn't go down well but can give you a few scenarios;

My fav

Option 3 is definitely appealing. I really liked the Blue proposal for a Lille-style stadium with a retractable roof and retractable pitch and it would certainly make watching the Blues a much more attractive proposition.

However, I think there are major doubts over the viability of the scheme. Even putting aside (apparently still huge) issues with the blazer wearing old farts from the Athletic club, the cost would surely be huge and it's still not clear where the necessary then of millions would be coming from. Dubai has be mentioned, but is that credible?

I also wonder about the practicality of having a multi purpose arena / convention centre that would probably be unavailable for major tours, conferences etc for much of the rugby season - particularly on weekends. Furthermore, would it be logistically possible to hold simultaneous events in the Principality Stadium and adjacent new arena? This seems doubtful, which means that its use could be very restricted.

Bluegazza

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 11:00 am

Ok putting aside the argument for the feasibility of having a multipurpose arena, if the Blues could be incorporated into the arena like tthat one, there are six sites choosen if agreement can't be made with the athletic club would blues support mind going to any of the other areas
Red Dragon Centre
Cardiff Prison
Dumballs Road
Cardiff Arms Park
County Hall
Callaghan Square
Surely Callaghan Square and Dumballs Road aren't too far away from arms park and closer to the station. Can't see the prison being closed for years!

HalRobsonKanu

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 11:11 am

Definitely. If they could get the project to stack up financially, then I could imagine Blues fans being prepared to take a short walk from the City Arms to Callaghan Square or the northern end of Dumballs Road. Even Atlantic Wharf or the Red Dragon Centre site would feel a lot closer to town (and to the Cardiff Arms Park experience) than the Cardiff City Stadium did.

Certainly, from my own perspective as (these days) an occasional attendee of Blues matches, I could imagine going to watch them in any of those locations. The Sports Village, on the other hand, would be far more inconvenient to get to and there's nowhere in the area to get a decent drink before or after the match.

Bluegazza

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 11:12 am

Started an arena thread to discuss not really retail new to posting hope that it's okay
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum