It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:36 am

Premier Inn custom house street

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

paul cardiffwalesmap

Premier Inn custom house street

PostSun Dec 10, 2017 3:16 am

Cardiff Demolition are on site for the start of this project - I believe they will start demolition of the York Hotel on Christmas Eve

Custom House Street will see a lot of construction in 2018/19 - the hotel will be about the same height as the Radisson Blu hotel 72 metres just down the road with the substantial 132.5 metre watkin-jones tower in between.
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

moyceyyy

Re: Premier Inn custom house street

PostSun Dec 10, 2017 4:57 am

I wish the renders were more detailed than that. The 'loose' renders make it much easier to value engineer the project. I'm really sceptical about it.

Kyle

PostSun Dec 10, 2017 9:17 am

moyceyyy wrote:I wish the renders were more detailed than that. The 'loose' renders make it much easier to value engineer the project. I'm really sceptical about it.

I'm really not comfortable with the look of this tower, I know I keep saying it but I really don't like the look of the windows in that image and how it fits with the older building frontage that's being retained. It's going to be a prominent building, and standing so close to the mid-rise Clayton Hotel (which I really like), it's going to show up how crap it is. It's saved by the rubbish Marriott across the road and cheap looking OU and Unison building next door though.

As good as it will be good to see that site finally being used it still seems more than a bit naff.

Lewisbeecham

PostSun Dec 10, 2017 10:00 am

The problem I have is that the building LOOKS like it's student accommodation. Sure it'll have a giant Premier Inn logo etc but this just doesn't look good enough for that stretch. You don't want to walk down St.Mary Street and see a badly designed tower in the distance. I hope I'm wrong.

Kyle

PostSun Dec 10, 2017 10:24 am

Lewisbeecham wrote:The problem I have is that the building LOOKS like it's student accommodation. Sure it'll have a giant Premier Inn logo etc but this just doesn't look good enough for that stretch. You don't want to walk down St.Mary Street and see a badly designed tower in the distance. I hope I'm wrong.

It looks worse than most of the new student accommodation blocks going up currently or planned, and yes at the bottom of St.Mary's Street where lots of people are coming and going it's going to stand out. I think the fact that it's been an eye sore for so long and has had so many failed proposals for redevelopment have made the council just accept it.

Ash

PostSun Dec 10, 2017 1:24 pm

I appear to be alone on here in quite liking the basic design particularly the way the tower is offset so that the Custom House appears to still be a seperate building - so much better than the pathetic facadism of Altolusso.

I think a lot will depend on the quality of materials used - as always.

Frank

PostSun Dec 10, 2017 8:39 pm

paul cardiffwalesmap wrote:Cardiff Demolition are on site for the start of this project - I believe they will start demolition of the York Hotel on Christmas Eve

To quote OMC - How bizarre. On a Sunday as well.

Ash

PostSun Dec 10, 2017 9:21 pm

It's so they can close the road with the minimum disruption. It makes perfect sense when you think about it.

Lewisbeecham

PostMon Dec 11, 2017 1:28 am

I guess this will start shooting up come April? Around the same time as the other tower on the same street.

Ash

PostMon Dec 11, 2017 11:54 am

Lewisbeecham wrote:I guess this will start shooting up come April? Around the same time as the other tower on the same street.

That depends, I guess, on whether the construction of the new Premier Inn in the bay and this one are covered by a single contract. If that's the case, there may be a pause after demolition while work on the Cardiff Bay site continues.
Next

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum