It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 am

Cardiff restaurants and cafes

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Lyndon

Re: Cardiff restaurants and cafes

PostSat Dec 23, 2017 6:35 pm

The Ivy is opening a restaurant on the Hayes:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/cardiff-could-getting-version-ivy-14076292

Legendary venue The Ivy could be joining the restaurant scene in Cardiff.

The team behind the world-famous luxury restaurant in London have applied to Cardiff Council for a new eaterie in The Hayes, Cardiff.

jonnywill25

PostSat Dec 23, 2017 9:46 pm

Lyndon wrote:The Ivy is opening a restaurant on the Hayes:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/cardiff-could-getting-version-ivy-14076292

Legendary venue The Ivy could be joining the restaurant scene in Cardiff.

The team behind the world-famous luxury restaurant in London have applied to Cardiff Council for a new eaterie in The Hayes, Cardiff.

I took a photo of this planning application laminate today and was about to post it! Should be interesting to see if this will get granted... With 2 empty A3 units across the road, I hope the council decide to decline and keep this unit as A1.

Only time will tell I guess!

Simon_SW17

PostSun Dec 24, 2017 1:22 am

I hope it does get permission, better than an empty shop and a good addition to The Hayes.

The Ivy Collection is a bit of a watered down version of The Ivy, buy still supposed to be very good.
Great they have chosen Cardiff as well.

jonnywill25

PostSun Dec 24, 2017 2:45 am

Simon_SW17 wrote:I hope it does get permission, better than an empty shop and a good addition to The Hayes.

The Ivy Collection is a bit of a watered down version of The Ivy, buy still supposed to be very good.
Great they have chosen Cardiff as well.

Agreed, it would be a nice addition to The Hayes. However I would much prefer the restaurant to open in one of the already vacant A3 units in the old Habitat building.

Simon_SW17

PostSun Dec 24, 2017 10:38 am

For operators, ground floor units are nearly always preferable to basement or first floor units, it's the visibility to customers that's key.

Many potential customers will make a decision about going in based on how the place looks and if it's busy. it's a big commitment to walk up a couple of flights of stairs blind.

The Burger & Lobster unit is also huge which makes it expensive and too big for many operator's requirements.

Lewisbeecham

PostSun Dec 24, 2017 12:01 pm

Simon_SW17 wrote:For operators, ground floor units are nearly always preferable to basement or first floor units, it's the visibility to customers that's key.

Many potential customers will make a decision about going in based on how the place looks and if it's busy. it's a big commitment to walk up a couple of flights of stairs blind.

The Burger & Lobster unit is also huge which makes it expensive and too big for many operator's requirements.

It's easy to forget that the old Burger and Lobster unit is empty, it's hardly visable from the Hayes. It's going to need a big well known chain to make that successful.

Good news on the Ivy collection. Anything thats not another Harvester, Nandos, TGI etc is good in my books.

Mr Blue Sky

PostSun Dec 24, 2017 1:04 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote:
Simon_SW17 wrote:For operators, ground floor units are nearly always preferable to basement or first floor units, it's the visibility to customers that's key.

It's easy to forget that the old Burger and Lobster unit is empty, it's hardly visable from the Hayes. It's going to need a big well known chain to make that successful.

Good news on the Ivy collection. Anything thats not another Harvester, Nandos, TGI etc is good in my books.

So that unit needs a "big well known chain" but anything that has mass-market appeal isn't welcome. You seem to be contradicting yourself. Drinking too many Limited Edition Artisan Irony Brews is obviously affecting your thinking.

Ash

PostSun Dec 24, 2017 2:10 pm

The best option for the Burger and Lobster unit might be a small food court for independent oprators. A lot of places like that have sprung up in London recently and we have a lot of street food vendors that might be interested in that sort of venture.

Amoore

PostWed Jan 24, 2018 12:50 pm

There's hoardings up for Patisserie Valerie in the former Shuuh unit on Queen Street.

Cardiff

PostWed Jan 24, 2018 2:06 pm

About time they had a proper shop, the one in SD2 was dreadful
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum