It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:55 pm

Premier Inn custom house street

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Cardiff

Re: Premier Inn custom house street

PostThu Dec 28, 2017 10:43 am

I think the customs house is going to be death masked for this construction, much of the towers form seems to fit within its floor plate from the renders.

Cardiffbay

PostThu Dec 28, 2017 12:14 pm

With the new premier inn taking shape in Cardiff Bay and the this building looks like it is going to happen will premier inn remain in the building on Churchill way or will their city center operations be moved to this new building?

Simon_SW17

PostThu Dec 28, 2017 2:18 pm

I very much doubt they would be moving operations, would cost a fortune for no gain.

Cardiff's desperate for hotel rooms so this is definitely an addition.

With this and the bay that will make 8 Premier Inn's in Cardiff.

amp

PostThu Dec 28, 2017 4:20 pm

I think quite a few hotels in central Cardiff need modernising. i ones i would like to see improved are:

The Marriott (demolish)
The Park Inn (demolish)
The Big sleep (demolish)
Ibris Hotel Cardiff (demolish)

The Angel (the side on Westgate Street needs improving.

All the others i'm not bothered about.

I think the Marriott, park inn and ibris should go once the Motorpoint does. i could see a lovely city park built on one of the hotel sites, and the site where ibris is could be a good for nice tall building.

Rapports site could then also be nice for a park or open space once Motorpoint and park inn is gone.

Ash

PostThu Dec 28, 2017 5:25 pm

amp wrote:I think quite a few hotels in central Cardiff need modernising. i ones i would like to see improved are:
The Marriott (demolish)
The Park Inn (demolish)
The Big sleep (demolish)
Ibris Hotel Cardiff (demolish)

I agree with you on The Park Inn and Ibis - but not the Big Sleep. It's a really funky 1960's building that needs a better street frontage at ground level. The elevated tower itself though is great. Of all the talls on that stretch I'd say the Radisson Blu and Big Sleep are the best while Altolusso and Ty Pont Haearn are the real dogs.

As far as the Marriot goes, I don't mind it so much now that there's been a lot of infill around it. The main problem is the awful dead frontage that the attached multi story car park presents to both Mill Lane and Custom House Street. The way city centre land values are going I suspect it may well be sold off in future.
Last edited by Ash on Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lyndon

PostThu Dec 28, 2017 5:32 pm

The Ibis is a cheap, shoddy piece of crap which they can demolish any time they like, the others are all decent buildings. In particular the Marriott is a nice, solid brick building, very much of its time and a decent example of commercial architecture of the period. I like it.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostThu Dec 28, 2017 6:15 pm

Lyndon wrote:The Ibis is a cheap, shoddy piece of crap which they can demolish any time they like, the others are all decent buildings. In particular the Marriott is a nice, solid brick building, very much of its time and a decent example of commercial architecture of the period. I like it.

It's a shed! it would be great if it were gone! I'm a bit neutral on the Park Inn but would love to see something better there, the other two can stay - especially the Big Sleep, I'd be gutted if that went.

Park Inn today...

Big Sleep - yesterday...

.....................................Image
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

amp

PostThu Dec 28, 2017 8:39 pm

The Marriott hotel is indeed very much of its time, but the way the building sits where it is, its a waste of good space, especially the car park section.

I think the big sleep is ugly...don't understand why people like it.

Ash

PostFri Dec 29, 2017 12:32 am

amp wrote:I think the big sleep is ugly...don't understand why people like it.

Because it's Stingray / Thunderbirds / Joe 90!

Buildings are at their most danger at around fifty years old. This one is a fantastic example of 'moonbase' architecture. I promise you that if it stays it will be loved by future generations.

Simon__200

PostFri Dec 29, 2017 2:27 am

Not getting any Thunderbirds vibe from The Big Sleep. It's hideous and I'd quite happily see it demolished. I like Brunel House, now that's classily Thunderbirds to me.

The Park Inn is also hideous. The Marriott is a fine building though. What's to dislike?
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum