It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:10 am

Metro

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Kyle

Re: Metro

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 10:31 am

Cardiff Ian wrote:I’m a bit underwhelmed by the proposals for Central Station to be honest. As a daily user, I’m more interested in the functionality than the aesthetics and at first glance it appears that the only major benefit is the increased gate line width (albeit desperately needed) and better access to platforms 1 and 2. What is really needed is better access to all platforms - the narrow staircases are congested and need replacing in line with what has happened at Reading, New street, etc. Presumably six car trains will be added to the Valley Lines eventually and at this point there will have to be something done?

Maybe i’m just being negative and there is improved access to all platforms but the plans have not yet been released showing this! At a minimum, hopefully whatever is planned for platforms 1 and 2 can be extended in the future when more funds become available.

I think your concern is spot on, I just think they haven't worked out or at least not published that level of detail yet. There needs to be an additional number of platforms as well surely, will 8 cut it for the next 20 years or so?

I also think they've purposely only showed the back because any images of the the front will give too much detail, or raise too many questions, about what's going on with the new bus station and how it will link to Central Station, which you'd think since they knew this announcement was coming is being working design wise currently.

Right now I'm just happy it's moving forward. The City Region body is starting to work on things, and that's really pleasing in itself.

Cardiff Ian

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 1:36 pm

Kyle wrote:
Cardiff Ian wrote:I’m a bit underwhelmed by the proposals for Central Station to be honest. As a daily user, I’m more interested in the functionality than the aesthetics and at first glance it appears that the only major benefit is the increased gate line width (albeit desperately needed) and better access to platforms 1 and 2. What is really needed is better access to all platforms - the narrow staircases are congested and need replacing in line with what has happened at Reading, New street, etc. Presumably six car trains will be added to the Valley Lines eventually and at this point there will have to be something done?

Maybe i’m just being negative and there is improved access to all platforms but the plans have not yet been released showing this! At a minimum, hopefully whatever is planned for platforms 1 and 2 can be extended in the future when more funds become available.

I think your concern is spot on, I just think they haven't worked out or at least not published that level of detail yet. There needs to be an additional number of platforms as well surely, will 8 cut it for the next 20 years or so?

I also think they've purposely only showed the back because any images of the the front will give too much detail, or raise too many questions, about what's going on with the new bus station and how it will link to Central Station, which you'd think since they knew this announcement was coming is being working design wise currently.

Right now I'm just happy it's moving forward. The City Region body is starting to work on things, and that's really pleasing in itself.

As you mention that, it seems Transport for Wales now have a website.

https://tfw.gov.wales/

There are some reports on there that will be interesting reading for a few of us on here. The one below seems to have the most relevant information, once you get past all the fluff and waffle page 75 starts to get into the detail:

https://tfw.gov.wales/sites/default/files/documents/SHRA%20South%20Wales%20Metro.pdf

A lot to digest but you can start to work out what they're intending to do for Metro Phase 2.

Msmurf

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 1:43 pm

There are some very interesting clues in that article...not all pointing at good news!

The moving of the facade northwards by 6m is a good idea as it effectively increases the number of platforms, turning the embarrassing platform 0 into new Platform 1. It is also a good idea to move the Intercity services to new Platform 1 & 2 next to main entrance ....but this is where the bad news kicks in..... with improved access to intercity services they will probably drop the plans for improved access to other platforms...

The new coach station and tram station are good news and there is talk of covered transfer from tram to train to bus which is good....but this could be largely achieved by opening up the disused eastrn pedestrisn tunnel under the station. I see lots of value engineering going on here...

But the tram line through Central Quay and down Dumballs Road looks promising
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

Msmurf

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 8:30 am

Looking at the metro plans in that TfW document there is some great information in there, which to summarise (for Cardiff only):

Phase 2 Confirmed (Base Scope):

Lines:
Convert Rhymey, RTA, Coryton and Bay lines from HR to LR. Not HR-Elec
New stations - none

Phase 2 or Later (Additional Scope):

Lines:
Upgrade SWML Relief Lines
Convert Penarth line from HR to LR (Tram) (with extension to Sully and street running through Grangetown)
New line to Sports Village
Extend Bay line to Pierhead
New Tram line from Porth Teigr to Central via Dumballs Road
New Tram line from Central to Cathays Park via St Mary Street

New Stations:
Wedal Road
Gabalfa
Maindy
Loudon Square
Victoria Park
St Mellons
Rumney

I would be happy with that but the big question is how much of the additional scope will we see ....and when?

But there is clearly some serious work going behind the scenes!

Victor Clam

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 6:32 pm

I can’t overstate how much I’d love to see new stations in Rumney and St Mellons. Does it give timescales for phase 2? Sorry, can’t look properly on my phone!

Frank

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 7:33 pm

What would light rail mean on the Rhymney line? I'm thinking something equivalent to a tram. They don't tend to be very quick do they? I thought trams only really worked in a city where the gap between stops is very small?

jonbvn

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 7:34 pm

Wedal Road!

Perhaps UHW will finally get some decent public transport. Only taken 47 years! :lol:

Ash

PostThu Jan 18, 2018 12:28 am

Frank wrote:What would light rail mean on the Rhymney line? I'm thinking something equivalent to a tram. They don't tend to be very quick do they? I thought trams only really worked in a city where the gap between stops is very small?

Another name for light rail is Train-Tram. They can run in both modes. The journey times should be about the same although there are likely to be more stops as these units have far shorter stopping distances.

They can only be run on on-street lines and dedicated rail corridors which have no heavy goods services. Presumably the Ebbw Vale and Maesteg services will remain as heavy rail due to the goods traffic on the South Wales Main Line.
Last edited by Ash on Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Msmurf

PostThu Jan 18, 2018 1:00 am

Yes - Ebbw line remains as HR Diesel, and Maesteg as HR but Electrified (but suspect will run on Diesel for time being).

I think VoG line is same as Maesteg - but I don't know how this will work between Cogan and Grangetown which is LR..

Ash

PostThu Jan 18, 2018 2:56 am

As I read it Cardiff/ Penarth services woud be on-street LR betwenn Grangetown and Cogan while Cardiff/ Barry / Bridgend would use the existing HR line.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum