It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:42 am

General Developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Kyle

Re: General Developments

PostThu Jan 18, 2018 12:17 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote:Wow, I hope that gets rejected. Awful.

We can only wish! Let's hope the council don't let what was a decent looking design be changed to this rubbish, but it's the Royal Navy so they'll probably just push it through regardless!

The new design just looks like a cheap business park office.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostThu Jan 18, 2018 12:29 pm

murfilicious wrote:If you look carefully you may just be able to make out some subtle differences...
Before
After

Value engineered to within an inch of it's life!

I love a challenge so I've had a really good look at this 'spot the difference' challenge - I think I've cracked it....
Top one looks really great (big plus for the bay) and the bottom one looks unbelievably crap!! (embarrassment for the bay)
Am I getting warm? :?:
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

cardiffian

PostThu Jan 18, 2018 12:46 pm

Maybe the award for worst value engineered redesign ever!

Love the city rd student blocks though, great for such an eclectic street.

Cardiff

PostThu Jan 18, 2018 1:01 pm

Considering the location i was surprised by the original render, while it looked better than the current proposal i wasn't a fan of the design.

sebcity

PostThu Jan 18, 2018 2:23 pm

I thought the previous HMS design was excellent. This is purely disgusting. It looks like a converted retail / industrial unit. Very disappointed if this goes ahead, but I suppose it explains why there was no news on this one for a while!

Simon_SW17

PostThu Jan 18, 2018 5:21 pm

Karl wrote:Another student development in City Road -

https://planning.cardiff.gov.uk/online- ... APR_122266

Looks crap to me. Too busy and silly primary colours being added to make up for poor design. City Road is in danger of looking like a right hotch-potch. I have no trouble with redevelopment as it's no Regent Street at the moment but it should be of an appropriate scale and with appropriate materials.

I like that scheme, nice and modern and something a bit different. Much better than the washing machine door building!

daearegwr

PostThu Jan 18, 2018 5:56 pm

Simon_SW17 wrote:
Karl wrote:Another student development in City Road -

https://planning.cardiff.gov.uk/online- ... APR_122266

Looks crap to me. Too busy and silly primary colours being added to make up for poor design. City Road is in danger of looking like a right hotch-potch. I have no trouble with redevelopment as it's no Regent Street at the moment but it should be of an appropriate scale and with appropriate materials.

I like that scheme, nice and modern and something a bit different. Much better than the washing machine door building!

Yeah. I've seen worse! Might spark the rest of the re-development towards this end of City Road (former Poets Corner, the snooker hall which burnt down and the fabric wholesale place on the other side of the road)

Ash

PostFri Jan 19, 2018 6:56 pm

Banners have gone up sealing all the windows of the old GPO and Cory Buildings in Bute Street (the Merchant Place development) and announcing "preparatory and pre-development work". I'm guessing from the sealed windows that it's asbestos removal although I seem to remember them doing some of that before.

Cardiff

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 7:20 pm

Yes asbestos vans parked outside, also a small fire there the other day

I saw the new entrance to Brunel house today, looks very nice, shame it makes the concrete of the rest of the building look bad

cjenkinswales

PostSat Jan 27, 2018 1:43 am

Cen wrote:I'm a big fan of the design. Hopefully it holds up! This stretch of road will look pretty impressive. Good to see that the work on Eastgate House has commenced too.

Does anyone have any updated pictures of Eastgate House, recladding?
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum