It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:57 am

Bar News

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Simon__200

Re: Bar News

PostFri Dec 29, 2017 2:20 am

Mr Blue Sky wrote:I went into Eagle in 2012. Not my kind of place as there were no women allowed. The point i was making still stands. My favourite club has closed and been replaced by a bear and otter bar but I didn't come on this forum whinging about hairy men and their tastes ruining my night out.

"There were no woman allowed". Seriously they were allowed, but there were no obvious actual ladies' toilets.

And, if your favourite bar closed, and there was't anything similar, what's with the stiff upper lip about taking it in your stride and not caring? Why wouldn't you naturally feel a bit irked about it? This is a forum where you're allowed to say "I'm sad about so and so closing" you know.

Mr Blue Sky

PostFri Dec 29, 2017 3:46 pm

Simon__200 wrote:
Mr Blue Sky wrote:I went into Eagle in 2012. Not my kind of place as there were no women allowed. The point i was making still stands. My favourite club has closed and been replaced by a bear and otter bar but I didn't come on this forum whinging about hairy men and their tastes ruining my night out.

"There were no woman allowed". Seriously they were allowed, but there were no obvious actual ladies' toilets.

And, if your favourite bar closed, and there was't anything similar, what's with the stiff upper lip about taking it in your stride and not caring? Why wouldn't you naturally feel a bit irked about it? This is a forum where you're allowed to say "I'm sad about so and so closing" you know.

Yes I was sad about X closing. Even sadder about Exit as that was a truly brilliant meeting place and dance venue with a friendlier vibe. But I am not going to start criticising venues for their offering or for the demographic that they wish to attract, like some people have done earlier in the thread, beacause I am not a snob.

jones4891

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 3:36 pm

29 Park Place have announced on Facebook that they're closing down. They cite rising business rates as the primary cause. Never went in there personally so no idea if it was a decent place or not, but it seems like that building is cursed. It must have been through at least 4 different tenants in the past 10 years?

Mr Blue Sky

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 4:19 pm

I used to go to this building when, in a different guise, they ran club nights about 10 years ago. The fact is that it is too far away from the main clubbing/drinking areas to be anything other than a student pub imho. There's only the SU and Pen and Wig nearby. I think that a 'Spoons would do well here - cue groans of anguish from the craft beer Gestapo.

Ash

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 8:39 pm

jones4891 wrote:29 Park Place have announced on Facebook that they're closing down. They cite rising business rates as the primary cause. Never went in there personally so no idea if it was a decent place or not, but it seems like that building is cursed. It must have been through at least 4 different tenants in the past 10 years?

I went there a couple of times in a previous inacarnation and once since the latest name change. It was okay, but there was nothing special about it and it had a huge conservatory on the back that effected the vibe a bit. It's no great loss.

Karl

PostThu Jan 11, 2018 10:13 am

I never went into the bar in its most recent incarnation. I recall when it was Incognito(?) it had an interlinked beer garden with the Pen and Wig which was a nice feature.

It's a little bit off the beaten track and in an area dominated by the University. It's a shame this area is so sterile and doesn't attract much in the way of activity after 5pm. Park Place as well as St Andrews Crescent/Windsor Place have in the past been home to small professional firms but given the requirements for modern offices are very rarely met by Victorian villas I always thought that quite a lot of these buildings would be converted to A3 usage. That doesn't seem to have happened to any great degree. If it did it might offer something a bit different from the current city centre experience.

Amoore

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 12:21 pm

The Rummer Tavern (of all places) is undergoing what looks like a major modernisation. The signage is up already and I think it looks tacky. They've replaced the letting at the top of the building with a modern, chrome font, and put a new sign above the window which looks to be made of shiny plastic. The sort of thing you could just about get away with on a modern family pub or social club, but it looks out of place on The Rummer.

Amoore

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 12:27 pm

Found a photo on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/jac_bond/status/956216892481589248

*waits for forum to explode*

HalRobsonKanu

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 2:26 pm

Amoore wrote:Found a photo on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/jac_bond/status/956216892481589248

*waits for forum to explode*

Everyone responsible for this should hang their heads in shame.

Lyndon

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 6:44 pm

halfnhalf wrote:me i dont mind the odd bit of welsh but this is just plain stupid
the gogs have taken over the asylum hahaha

unemployment up in wales
why not get em all to translate everything to keep cardiff bay happy
meanwhile our roads are a mess

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum