It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 am

Cardiff airport

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Msmurf

Re: Cardiff airport

PostThu Jan 25, 2018 8:32 am

I am a regular user of this flight and as long as I keep an eye on connecting flights it is an a excellent service, at least in midweek - but only two flights/day on weekends which is not enough. But i will be very happy with a fourth daily flight.
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

Lewisbeecham

PostSat Feb 10, 2018 9:04 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-wales ... ssion=true

Delay in aircraft deliveries means Qatar will not be doing daily flights as planned until late June. Instead from May 1st there will be 5 flight a week, missing Mondays and Tuesdays.

Ash

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 3:20 pm

Birmingham, Cardiff, Edinburgh and Manchester could miss out on new transatlantic links unless Air Passenger Duty (APD) is eliminated, a leading airline group has said.

IAG has written to MPs to say “it’s not financially viable” for the group’s low-cost brand, Level, to fly from those cities with APD at current levels.

The group, which is British Airways’ parent company, says Level’s one-way fares start at £88. Air Passenger Duty for long-haul flights is currently £75, but will increase to £78 for flights from 1 April 2018. For anything better than basic economy, this rate is doubled.

Willie Walsh, IAG’s chief executive, said: “British consumers are losing out because of APD. In Spain and France, Level can offer lower fares than it can in the UK – and that goes for other long-haul low-cost airlines too.

“MPs need to know that APD undermines our ability to introduce new low cost flights that would benefit their constituents. If APD was axed, IAG could open new routes and operate Level from regional airports.”

The letter from IAG says for a trading nation reliant on developing international connections post-Brexit to tax aviation so harshly is “foolhardy”.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/airline-tax-rise-flights-regional-airports-iag-british-airways-brexit-a8212066.html

Lewisbeecham

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 6:24 pm

Never heard of Level, but it proves how much ADP is damaging the potential of Cardiff.

RandomComment

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 7:34 pm

Birmingham, Cardiff, Edinburgh and Manchester could miss out on new transatlantic links unless Air Passenger Duty (APD) is eliminated, a leading airline group has said.

IAG has written to MPs to say “it’s not financially viable” for the group’s low-cost brand, Level, to fly from those cities with APD at current levels.

The group, which is British Airways’ parent company, says Level’s one-way fares start at £88. Air Passenger Duty for long-haul flights is currently £75, but will increase to £78 for flights from 1 April 2018. For anything better than basic economy, this rate is doubled.

Willie Walsh, IAG’s chief executive, said: “British consumers are losing out because of APD. In Spain and France, Level can offer lower fares than it can in the UK – and that goes for other long-haul low-cost airlines too.

“MPs need to know that APD undermines our ability to introduce new low cost flights that would benefit their constituents. If APD was axed, IAG could open new routes and operate Level from regional airports.”

The letter from IAG says for a trading nation reliant on developing international connections post-Brexit to tax aviation so harshly is “foolhardy”.

My reading of this is that it is special pleading by IAG. Its like when Wetherspoons whinge about VAT on meals out.

APD is high in the UK relative to nearly all other countries, its true. But more generally, aviation is subject to low levels of tax. Airline fuel is not subject to fuel duty (probably because airlines would otherwise do fuel runs to places with lower duty). And tickets aren't subject to VAT either (like other forms of public transport).

APD is a relatively higher share of costs for low-cost airlines and for peripheral aiports (where landing slots are usually free and per-passenger charges lower). But its better to reap the revenues from APD and target support at socially/economically beneficial routes, etc, rather than abolish the tax across-the-board.

And we should be taxing air travel. It is environmentally damaging. We do tax road travel and train travel (even public transport operators have to pay fuel duty, and electricity costs of electric trains would be impacted by climate change levy, etc.).

If they can't make it work given APD, then they just don't have a viable business model.

Simon__200

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 1:33 am

Ash wrote:

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/airline-tax-rise-flights-regional-airports-iag-british-airways-brexit-a8212066.html

That basically Willie Walsh whinging because of a tiny bit of tax, when all things are considered. The guy's unbelievable. I wonder, in comparison, how much revenue is lost by giving toxic people like Walsh positions of power.

RandomComment

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 7:07 pm

halfnhalf wrote:willie walsh was a pilot and rose to be a very good ceo of a large global firm
maybe simon_200 you are the one who is a bit toxic and a bit envious like hahhahaha

I don't know whether I'd call him "toxic" - don't know enough about his or BAs position on a range of issues. But being a good CEO doesn't necessarily mean you should listen to them on public policy. Interests of a business don't always align with wider societal interests. Lobbying and rent-seeking are real issues. And some CEOs just use their position to spout their own personal views (e.g. the boss of Wetherspoons and the EU).

Kyle

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 7:43 pm

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/plans-new-hotels-cardiff-airport-14315383

Nothing definite yet, but encouraging if one or two hotel operators have been showing interest in opening up near the airport. Sure, the airport is tiny still, but as it hopefully grows in passenger numbers over the years a new hotel or two will add to the facilities down there and maybe encourage even more people to use the airport if they have decent overnight stay options before they fly the morning after.

How's the bus service to the city centre doing these days? I'm being picked up when I fly home in April so won't get a chance to use it, but certainly when I was working in the city centre up until early December I used to pass the bus stop on the way to Central station and it often had quite a few people waiting.

Simon__200

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 8:27 pm

halfnhalf wrote:willie walsh was a pilot and rose to be a very good ceo of a large global firm
maybe simon_200 you are the one who is a bit toxic and a bit envious like hahhahaha

What's your evidence that he's a very good CEO? The fact that he's was a pilot? The man's a walking disaster.

Lewisbeecham

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 9:28 pm

Kyle wrote:https://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/plans-new-hotels-cardiff-airport-14315383

Nothing definite yet, but encouraging if one or two hotel operators have been showing interest in opening up near the airport. Sure, the airport is tiny still, but as it hopefully grows in passenger numbers over the years a new hotel or two will add to the facilities down there and maybe encourage even more people to use the airport if they have decent overnight stay options before they fly the morning after.

How's the bus service to the city centre doing these days? I'm being picked up when I fly home in April so won't get a chance to use it, but certainly when I was working in the city centre up until early December I used to pass the bus stop on the way to Central station and it often had quite a few people waiting.

Bus is good, I've used it a couple of times the last month. It's good at waiting for flights instead of sticking to the timetable if that makes sense. Always busy coming from the airport, not really busy on route to the airport.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum