It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:01 am

Cardiff 15000 arena

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Owen

Re: Cardiff 15000 arena

PostSat Feb 10, 2018 12:49 am

Hopefully this link works - this is the full document for the Cabinet meeting next week
http://cardiff.moderngov.co.uk/document ... 202018.pdf

Most of it is covered in wales online article, but here is some clarification on Red Dragon/County Hall or both:
"A. Cardiff Arms Park
B. Motorpoint Arena
C. Callaghan Square
D. Dumballs Road
E. County Hall
F. Red Dragon Centre
G. Atlantic Wharf (combined County Hall & Red Dragon Centre)
The County Hall site (E) is considered on the basis that it would require a
future decision by the Council to relocate out of the County Hall building
to free the whole site up for redevelopment. The Atlantic Wharf site (G)
which includes the County Hall site would not require redevelopment of
the County Hall building"
Atlantic Wharf is their preferred option, which would include Red Dragon and County Hall's car park - County hall staff to have a multi story car park built to replace. However, the report talks a lot about the importance of ancillary developments for leisure and retail to help the council recoup it's expenditure. It also talks about the arena kick starting the next phase of the Bay as a leisure destination. Also, they keep referring to a future decision by Cabinet on the council's property estate and the decision on whether County Hall moves will be taken then. I imagine a case will be made for the County offices to move as well and the additional space be used for more leisure facilities.
Also good to see how much Live Nation are driving this and the pension fund that owns Red Dragon seem onboard

Kyle

PostSat Feb 10, 2018 7:56 am

I'm really pleased they've chosen this option, and it's nice to see some ambition. They've taken the right option in their City Region funding choice being for the upgrading of transport infrastructure instead of this project, and I think by picking this site there's a decent chance of them gaining all the private sector funding they'll need. I can imagine a few hotels opening up around it over the years and maybe one or two other leisure options. It should give the bay a real boost, and you never know, it might help out the Mount Stuart Square area indirectly as well, one or two other hotels there would be really nice.

Cen

PostSat Feb 10, 2018 11:32 am

After taking a closer look, if the images are accurate, there's no way that's the same building as the existing Red Dragon Centre. The current building is parallel to the Travelodge hotel, whereas the images show the new building at a considerable angle. I know these are just initial concept designs but surely they would get the basics right.

I'm hoping that, if the owners of the Red Dragon Centre are interested in investing in the development, they agree to a complete redevelopment of their facilities. I can't see why they wouldn't take advantage of this as the current facilities are hardly attracting big crowds. Most people seem to use the car park for Mermaid Quay instead.

Cen

PostSat Feb 10, 2018 11:43 am

That said, this BBC article has a less impressive image...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-43010308

Ash

PostSat Feb 10, 2018 12:11 pm

That image appears to be of the discarded Option F (Red Dragon Centre) rather than the prefered Option G.

nicksocrates

PostSun Feb 11, 2018 6:15 pm

Looks Great! And best location. Cardiff bay needs this.
Has the military medical museum been obliterated?

Ash

PostSun Feb 11, 2018 10:07 pm

Interesting question. It's not there on the renders but my guess is that it's still on the cards. It seems a bit niche - but we might as well have it!

Amoore

PostMon Feb 12, 2018 6:39 pm

I spoke to someone close to LiveNation today that says they are planning on carrying out an extensive refurbishment of the Motorpoint Arena which will see it becoming a 10,000 capacity venue. If there's any truth in that, it will surely undermine the reason for building the a bigger one? Unless LN are just mooting the idea as a negotiating platform for getting the management contract on the new one.

Lewisbeecham

PostMon Feb 12, 2018 6:45 pm

Amoore wrote:I spoke to someone close to LiveNation today that says they are planning on carrying out an extensive refurbishment of the Motorpoint Arena which will see it becoming a 10,000 capacity venue. If there's any truth in that, it will surely undermine the reason for building the a bigger one? Unless LN are just mooting the idea as a negotiating platform for getting the management contract on the new one.

It's in the article that they had hoped to extend the current building to a 10,000 capacity but it's since been abandoned because it's too complex and a temporary venue would need to be found to avoid two years of no income.

LocalLurker

PostMon Feb 12, 2018 7:22 pm

IF this new arena is built, would it be worth keeping the CIA too for those events too large for 2k attendances but too small for 15k?
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum