It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:16 am

Llanishen reservoir

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Frank

Llanishen reservoir

PostMon Feb 12, 2018 6:15 pm

That old chestnut. It seems like the water has come back in but it will need to be drained again to check everything. What to do with it? The area has such potential. Personally I would like to see a proper cycle path around the outside. It needs better connecting with the rest of the city - this presumably will sort itself when houses are built to the north - but what's also been mentioned is a rail spur off the Rhymney line. Would be good, particularly if it went to Cardiff Gate, but I can see it being expensive when you factor in the height of the railway in Heath, bridges etc.

Ash

Re: Llanishen reservoir

PostMon Feb 12, 2018 6:40 pm

If you look on the Transport for Wales website the rail-spur from Heath that you mention has been "Discontinued from future consideration" - presumably because of the difficulties you point out.

An alternative scheme is listed as "Requires further study before inclusion in future phases". It's described as follows; "Light Rail from Llanishen station to Cardiff Gate via B4562 & new alignment terminating near Pentwyn Link Rd"

As far as uses for the reservoir go, I can't see the Sail Training Centre abandoning the bay to return to Llanishen. Maybe a private operator will step in to offer courses for kids. An Aqua Park would be fun - but I can't see local residents putting up with that!

Simon__200

PostWed Feb 14, 2018 1:55 pm

Where are these schemes listed on the Transport for Wales Website? Have you got a link? I can't find anything much use on there.

Ash

PostWed Feb 14, 2018 2:56 pm

Simon__200

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 1:26 am

Thanks.

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum