It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:05 am

Central quay

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

jonbvn

Re: Central quay

PostThu Feb 22, 2018 5:39 am

I have a horrible feeling that every 2nd outlet will be yet another coffee chain and yet more student accommodation? I just don't see how that can be sustainable?

redragon

PostThu Feb 22, 2018 8:52 am

Aside from the numbers of restaurants and bridge, the comments are fair and based on very typical considerations for developments somewhere like London. It's absolutely time that developments in Cardiff were opened up to this kind of scrutiny given the lack of public interest that ever comes out of planning applications here. This has to be better quality than some of the other stuff going up and Network Rail - what a joke.

Msmurf

PostThu Feb 22, 2018 9:20 am

I was looking at how to connect the footpath along the Taff, and instead of a footbridge over the railway, a floating pathway under the bridge should be feasible...of coùrse it won't please the trainspotters!
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

RandomComment

PostThu Feb 22, 2018 11:12 am

redragon wrote:Aside from the numbers of restaurants and bridge, the comments are fair and based on very typical considerations for developments somewhere like London. It's absolutely time that developments in Cardiff were opened up to this kind of scrutiny given the lack of public interest that ever comes out of planning applications here. This has to be better quality than some of the other stuff going up and Network Rail - what a joke.

Whats Network Rail done wrong?

If this is in relation to the parking, I don't think its fair. The 600 space car park is for the station and for the rest of the development. They're talking about 1.5 million square feet of offices. Now that could host a workforce population of pushing 15,000. If 300 were for the office staff, that gives 2% of workers a parking space. Might have 50 for office visitors. If there is a hotel might have 25 for them. And its reasonable to expect people going on long-distance train travel (e.g. London or Manchester) who don't live near a station to want to drive to Cardiff central and park up. To me 600 seems on the low side for such a large development given that public transport links to many areas people may want to commute from (e.g. Cowbridge, Llantwit Fadre, Marshfield) aren't great.

There's going to be 1,000 apartments there. Is parking for them among the 600 spaces? Even if this is an area where people use their cars infrequently, they'll still want to use them. The "big shop" is a big thing outside of London. Yes there is online delivery but not everyone wants to do that (and the capacity isn't there to deliver to everyone at convenient times).

My view is that parking provision will have to be higher than indicated to make the development viable.

Lewisbeecham

PostThu Feb 22, 2018 11:41 am

Don't forget that car park will also be used for the coach station and no doubt as a reserve for when John Lewis and St.Daivds 2 etc are full which happens quite frequently.

Ash

PostThu Feb 22, 2018 11:53 am

jonbvn wrote:I have a horrible feeling that every 2nd outlet will be yet another coffee chain and yet more student accommodation? I just don't see how that can be sustainable?

Um. So far as I can see, the plans don't include any student accommodation.There's a 300,000 sq ft new university campus (a Technology Campus for Cardiff Met) but that's a teaching facility not student accommodation.

lees

PostThu Feb 22, 2018 6:40 pm

Very impressive, really like the waterfalls

Does anyone know what heights and the stories of the three tower are likely to be if they get off the ground?

RandomComment

PostThu Feb 22, 2018 7:07 pm

I think these are concept drawings as opposed to detailed designs with, e.g. heights, storEYs, exact plans of layouts. I don't think they have a fully agreed masterplan yet, at least.

RandomComment

PostFri Feb 23, 2018 6:10 pm

BTW anyone read the comments pages from the bottom of the article on Walesonline?

Moaner wrote: The other thing being squeezed out of the city centre is natural daylight! The towering buildings that are being wedged into our already compact city are turning Cardiff into the Manhattan of Wales, a city of shadows.

Moaner 2 wrote: Who exactly is in charge here? who has deemed it necessary to heap more bars, office blocks and accommodation as part of what this city is crying out for? It would seem to me that the powers that be are trying to run before they can walk. I'm sure that someones palm has been crossed with silver for these new developments to be given the go-ahead. Surely the first thing that should be sorted in wales is our hugely inadequate transport infrastructure??? bringing more people to an area with fancy apartments and bars is going to make an already horrendous situation 20 times worse...... i really do despair. But then i suppose the nest feathering of the few is a lot more important than the people who have to live amongst it.

Moaner 3 wrote: It would seem that this is all about ground rates for the council. They are interested in making a fast buck with absolutely no thought for the public that live here.

Moaner 4 wrote: Why rip apart a historical site,when there are many derelict & ugly sites within a mile of the brewery??..The once beautiful Butetown railway station,..the derelict land with run down building on James Street?? Cardiff council need to pull thier fingers out & work on resources for the people of Cardiff,instead of more shops & restaurants for visitors,& more property rates in their pockets...P.S..where is our bus station? How embarrassing for a capital city...

Moaner 5 wrote: Best poorer families can hope for,under present government.Beats an [empty] shop doorway.All about planners lining their bulging pockets and nothing to do with serving the community anyway-thats obvious by ll the empty shop units their too pig headed to reduce rates on.

I mean in what world do these people actually live? Do they actually know how council funding works?

a) Councils in Wales, unlike England, dont get to keep business rates revenues. It all goes in to a central pot. But if it did go back to councils, thats surely a good thing for the citizens as it would mean more money for local services (without having to put council tax up).

b) Where do they think money actually comes from? Because yes, if they didn't allow private sectors to spend their own money on building something profitable.. of course there is loads of public money to spend on lovely nice things.

ARGH!

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostFri Feb 23, 2018 6:52 pm

Only just happened upon this http://www.centralquayconsultation.co.uk/ just going there now but there seems to be loads to get our teeth into!
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum