It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:43 am

Central quay

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Cen

Re: Central quay

PostFri Feb 23, 2018 8:14 pm

I really like the look of the Ledger building. Hopefully it turns out just as impressive as the images. I have faith in Rightacres. Central Square is a quality development so far.

I also like the plans for a taxi rank and drop-off zone integrated into the multi-storey car park. Has some actual sense gone into this design? :lol:
Last edited by Cen on Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lewisbeecham

PostFri Feb 23, 2018 8:21 pm

I take it the coach station would be position on the current Network Rail car park? When you look at the impressive images and then the floor plan you do wonder how they'll fit it all in...

Cardiff

PostFri Feb 23, 2018 8:23 pm

Great find, this is probably the most visually interesting

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fkmrYZ ... rXPlW/view

Cen

PostFri Feb 23, 2018 8:28 pm

Cardiff wrote:Great find, this is probably the most visually interesting

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fkmrYZ ... rXPlW/view
Some great images in there. The Riverside-City Centre boundary is already pretty defined, but if this development goes ahead it will be extraordinary.

On the topic of the 50 bars and restaurants, if they are including the "Marketplace" section of the Ledger - which looks like it will have a focus on smaller, street-food kind of businesses and cafes - the figure probably isn't that far off.

Cen

PostFri Feb 23, 2018 8:46 pm

A nice overview of the buildings here.
Attachments
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (134.48 KiB) Viewed 6088 times

Lewisbeecham

PostFri Feb 23, 2018 8:57 pm

Jesus, don't let the Wales Online readers know that another 29 story student accommodation is planned here.

I can't believe those houses will stay put. Lack of Coach station but I guess that's part of TfW plan, not Central Quay.

Oh, and there's a bridge!

Also, the document refers to the "Cardiff Bay - Airport" line will stop at Central Quay directly outside the South entrance of Cardiff Central Station. I'll be surprised if it does go all the way to the airport as a tram but I'm intrigued to say the least.

Frank

PostFri Feb 23, 2018 10:51 pm

Hmmm. Not too sure really. Having buildings conjoined to the south of the station seems odd and surely means future development is off. As for the student tower - I can only assume as it is part of this scheme it won't be as awful as Ty Pont Hearn. It does also seem very dense. I'm guessing the council is looking at revenue maximisation - understandable in the current climate, perhaps attractive design is a luxury we can't really afford.

Owen

PostFri Feb 23, 2018 10:59 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote:I take it the coach station would be position on the current Network Rail car park? When you look at the impressive images and then the floor plan you do wonder how they'll fit it all in...

It looks like the coach station is part of the MSCP. The bays are outside and on the opposite side of the road, running alongside the Ledger building. There is an undercover taxi rank at the end of the MSCP and I think undercover area for coach passengers

amp

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 12:34 am

Well now that Central quay is happening and all the work along Newport road, town is now much bigger than Paul's home page map.

Maybe Paul, you could enlarge the map area a bit, or make it scrollable if it can't be made any bigger. What do you think?

on the main topic though i think this looks great...just want the ability to walk along the river under the railway bridges, love there to be another bridge also. good place for a car park...but is 600 enough, there should be capacity for 1200 at least. i think they should increase the number of disabled parking spaces than they currently are suggesting as well.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 1:08 am

amp wrote:Well now that Central quay is happening and all the work along Newport road, town is now much bigger than Paul's home page map.

Maybe Paul, you could enlarge the map area a bit, or make it scrollable if it can't be made any bigger. What do you think?

on the main topic though i think this looks great...just want the ability to walk along the river under the railway bridges, love there to be another bridge also. good place for a car park...but is 600 enough, there should be capacity for 1200 at least. i think they should increase the number of disabled parking spaces than they currently are suggesting as well.

Cheers Amp - yes expansion is required! but probably only south, the idea is to have links to all 'leisure' outlets and there has to be a cut-off point or I'd end up in Rumney!!

Also someone mentioned the idea of a floating pontoon type walkway under the main railway bridge, what a great idea! and nicely lit could be a bit of a feature in itself as well as a very practical way of moving from south to north of the station and vice versa. Also this would mean a city centre riverside walk from cowbridge rd bridge all the way down to penarth road bridge (I'm sure this will stretch as far as the bay when Dumballs rd area eventually shapes up)
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum