It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:27 am

Central quay

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Msmurf

Re: Central quay

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 3:10 am

Can I just say... WOW!
I was thinking about buying a property in Brick house. Now I am convinced!

Incidentally, the coach parking bays can be seen between buildings A and B with covered access leading to main station.
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

amp

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 2:19 pm

Yeah it would be great to be able to walk from the stadium to the bay by the side of the river...just a lot a work for them to do to achieve that... with the new car park for network rail, the carpark by number one central square will surely go now as well. it should be just a public space/access route to the station.

after central quay is done, surely Callaghan square will be next? followed by dumbells road?

Lewisbeecham

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 2:38 pm

amp wrote:Yeah it would be great to be able to walk from the stadium to the bay by the side of the river...just a lot a work for them to do to achieve that... with the new car park for network rail, the carpark by number one central square will surely go now as well. it should be just a public space/access route to the station.

after central quay is done, surely Callaghan square will be next? followed by dumbells road?

It was always a public square on the CGI images for Central Square. Id like to see that happen!

Or possibly Tiger Bay? Old Motorpoint Arena site? There's actually a lot of options available.

RandomComment

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 3:48 pm

I've been thinking about the houses on the access road for Brains (https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.47368 ... 312!8i6656) and on Penarth Road (https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.47334 ... 312!8i6656).

The Masterplan is very clear that these houses remain and are not part of the site. I suppose the houses are privately owned.

But in reality, we don't really expect these houses will remain do we? For a start, if this scheme is really as vibrant and successful as the developers hope/claim, the development value of this land will far exceed the value of it as somewhat rundown terraced housing. Second, the area is going to be a building site for what, 10 or more years? There will be shadowing from much bigger buildings. Will residents really want to stay there? Wont the value of the houses fall even further? (Although with such a long development timeframe, won't that also affect the desirability of the Ledger Building. I know theres nothing more annoying when you're trying to work than banging, clanging and drilling from building work).

I think they must expect the housing will become part of the development site at some stage. They're not talking about that or extending the masterplan to include that area (it would probably change the layout of the site if they did) for one reason: don't frighten the horses.

You'll have your Walesonline moaners (We don't need this in Cardiff; They should build this in Merthyr where its really needed; what we really need instead of a private development is a new park) but as it stands the scheme will get through planning pretty easy (though I'd expect the Grangetown and maybe Riverside ward councillors to complain about overshadowing). If you suggest people will be turfed out of their homes, the politics of it will become much tougher. So just wait until the development is progressing and then tackle that issue..

Lewisbeecham

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 4:05 pm

Construction work didn't stop One Central Square from being fully let whilst Two and Three were and still are being constructed.

Msmurf

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 6:08 pm

As long as there isn't simultaneous construction on all 4 sides of the building at once, I don't see it being much of an issue. The only question is which phase will be next?

Lewisbeecham

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 6:18 pm

Msmurf wrote:As long as there isn't simultaneous construction on all 4 sides of the building at once, I don't see it being much of an issue. The only question is which phase will be next?

Phase 2 is the University campus and the Student accommodation. So it shouldn't disturb the office block much at all.

Phase 3 is the residential blocks down the river.

Phase 4 is the remaining office blocks.

Msmurf

PostSun Feb 25, 2018 8:18 am

I have now downloaded the full Master plan, which is very impressive. I see that Phase 3 also includes the South Station Concourse and seems to imply that Network Rail also have a Master plan lurking somewhere. Anyone know when this might go public?

Kyle

PostSun Feb 25, 2018 1:52 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote:
Msmurf wrote:As long as there isn't simultaneous construction on all 4 sides of the building at once, I don't see it being much of an issue. The only question is which phase will be next?

Phase 2 is the University campus and the Student accommodation. So it shouldn't disturb the office block much at all.

Phase 3 is the residential blocks down the river.

Phase 4 is the remaining office blocks.

I wouldn't read too much into these phases, other than maybe the first two. Just look how much other big projects have changed in the city since their master plans were first available. Central Square started off with the area that is now going to be HRMC and an empty plot for another office being residential with a student housing tower. The Interchange proposal has kept changing with what we are getting above the bus station.

At Capital Quarter we were going to have a hotel and residential, but it's turned out to be all offices so far other than the Eastern Courtyard plots that they sold on to Viridis to build the Lumis buildings. Even the land they bought the other side of the feeder canal changed from regular residential to the student tower building going up currently.

Don't get me wrong, I love the look of what they are hoping to achieve, it's very ambitious, but for now it's just that for me, a vision of what they'd like to achieve with just the Ledger building, the car park and maybe the new university campus being the guaranteed developments over the next 3-4 years. Everything else is subject to change based on future demand, and that's how it should be. I'm even curious about that Ledger building, it's a big old office to build speculatively. With that, the Interchange offices and the empty plot next to HMRC that's a lot of office space planned for Rightacres, let alone considering the competition across the road with the big offices planned at John Street by J R Smart. There must be a lot of demand, or something is going to have to give.

It's going to be an interesting one to watch that's for sure!

I hope we get those towers though, they look lovely.

Owen

PostSun Feb 25, 2018 4:38 pm

I’ve wondered the same about demand for office space. I’m ever the optimist on this - Rightacres and JRSmart are going full throttle and I assume that is to match forecasted demand. Their current offices have seem to let with no issue, but generally with indigenous organisations. There always seems to be discussion of decentralisation from London, attracting financial and professional firms, interest from a possible UK government department - I’d feel more confident about future office development when these discussion lead to something more concrete
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum