It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:39 am

Let it snow

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Frank

Let it snow

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 4:37 pm

Well I'm yet to be convinced that the red weather warning for Cardiff is necessary but I thought this an opportune moment to consider our relationship with the snow. The first mistake people make at these moments is to complain that we're unable to deal with a bit of snow and all these other countries have no problem with it. Obviously countries that deal with this kind of thing all the time will be investing more in the necessary infrastructure.

That said having had our office close at 12pm I am left wondering if this isn't an over-reaction? A lot of people I work with commute in from the Valleys where things may indeed be a good deal worse. Perhaps those who complain that everything comes to a standstill when it snows should consider that we commute amongst the longest hours in Europe and are not good at building enough houses near to where the jobs are. No surprise that snow causes so much disruption! And what of our road infrastructure? If it takes people an hour to travel 20 miles during rush hour I wouldn't like to think how the roads are when there is considerable snow. Of course the likely congestion is just the sort of thing to animate people and make them more hostile to new housing being built!

We are at least building some houses in Cardiff now but what of the design of our modern suburbs. St Mellons feels completely inaccessible. Thornhill? Pontprennau? Cut off after two inches of snow? And as for Waterhall what of the basic practicality there. Other than the aesthetics, what about the boring stuff like, you know, energy efficiency and transport connectivity?

Ash

Re: Let it snow

PostSun Mar 04, 2018 5:04 pm

halfnhalf wrote: plenty of cars on the road but sod all buses or trains

To be fair, there aren't many trains on the road in fine weather either.

Frank

Re: Let it snow

PostSat Mar 10, 2018 2:23 pm

As I said initially I don't think we can expect to be that well prepared for this sort of specific occurrence but if we had better general infrastructure we'd cope better.

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum