It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 am

New tower of glass opposit the golden cross

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Cardiff

Re: New tower of glass opposit the golden cross

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 12:55 pm

What are the objections to more student flats?

Is it that there will be more students? That the land is more valuable for other developments? That you dont think students should live in this kind of accommodation? You have a personal dislike for students or developers who build these developments? You dislike tall buildings? you dislike poor tall buildings? You would like to see a lesser developed, quieter city?

I cant understand a dislike for something that has no impact on anyone other than developers or students, especially in an area of the city where no one really went prior to this development?

Ash

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 6:29 pm

I agree with the above.

Okay, Ty Pont Haearn is a dog -but then so is Altolusso. It's the quality of the design and build that counts - not the purpose of the development.

Simon__200

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 9:02 pm

Ash wrote:I agree with the above.

Okay, Ty Pont Haearn is a dog -but then so is Altolusso. It's the quality of the design and build that counts - not the purpose of the development.

For all its faults Altolusso is still like a Zaha Hadid masterpiece when compared to Ty Pont Haearn.

DJKiran

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 10:19 pm

What do you think of the Capital Tower. Should it be replaced with a more modern version or something different altogether? I think it's pretty drab and outdated. A solid slab of lifeless stone.

AlwaysBeBlue

PostSat Mar 31, 2018 10:36 am

I still like Capital Tower and think it has stood the test of time well. However, it could now do with a facelift and have an extra 5 floors added

Kyle

PostSat Mar 31, 2018 1:09 pm

I've always loved it just as it is, but maybe it's my age being in my mid-forties. As a non-Cardiff person, whenever I used to visit to the city as a child I used to just stare at it. I think my love of tall buildings possibly started with that building.

It's recently had an interior refurb and is almost full again, that to me is as pleasing as any of the new builds going up picking up tenants.

Ash

PostSat Mar 31, 2018 1:26 pm

Kyle wrote:I've always loved it just as it is, but maybe it's my age being in my mid-forties. As a non-Cardiff person, whenever I used to visit to the city as a child I used to just stare at it. I think my love of tall buildings possibly started with that building.

It's recently had an interior refurb and is almost full again, that to me is as pleasing as any of the new builds going up picking up tenants.

I don't mind it now but I hated it with a passion when it first went up. The destruction of the Herbert House / Friary seemed to be eblematic of the worst tendancies of mid twentieth century planning.

The two first towers in Cardiff were the Pearl Assurance Tower (Capital Tower) and the Hodge Building - now the Holland House Hotel. To my mind, the Hodge Building was by far the better of the two.

Kyle

PostSat Mar 31, 2018 1:41 pm

I like Holland House as well, glad they are both still standing and fully functional...although I keep forgetting about the Friary that it replaced.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostSat Mar 31, 2018 4:25 pm

Kyle wrote:whenever I used to visit to the city as a child I used to just stare at it. I think my love of tall buildings possibly started with that building.

Wow that's a great point! I think I'm with you on that! I remember myself and friends looking straight up from the base and the clouds passing by at the top would make us dizzy!! surely this was as tall as those american skyscrapers - hard to imagine anything taller! :lol: and so a peculiar life long fascination was born thank you Capital Tower!

Oops wandered off thread!
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

DaveE

PostSun Apr 22, 2018 1:00 am

Not really an update but some news on the tower....

While a Watkin Jones spokesman said there was nothing to report on the Customhouse Street development, he added: "The group's concentration has been centred on their new development in Bridge Street in Cardiff, which is a 24-storey tower block with 464 beds."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-43828656
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum