It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:15 pm

Central Square

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Lewisbeecham

Re: Central Square

PostFri Apr 06, 2018 11:29 am

I loved the first design, then I hated the second one. So I'm not overly bothered that it's been scrapped. The second design just looked like a cheaper version of the first, what I fear is that where going to get an even cheaper version of the first. They need to be careful here... You can't have a plastic looking bus station next to the new BBC Building and soon to be HMRC... God I hope this is a nice design...

HalRobsonKanu

PostFri Apr 06, 2018 11:43 am

The worst case scenario is that the Council / Rightacres have asked Foster and Partners for further substantial value engineering and they've decided that they cannot produce anything that they'd be willing to put their name too.

Being optimistic, another possibility is that the appointment of new architects might be related to a desire to tie the bus station in more coherently with the rail station "Metro Central" redevelopment. Perhaps the same architects will be used for both schemes.

Lyndon

PostFri Apr 06, 2018 5:54 pm

HalRobsonKanu wrote:The Architects Journal is reporting that the Foster and Partners design for Central Square has been completely scrapped.

https://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/new ... 69.article

Their work on Central Square so far has been less than awe-inspiring, so that's no great loss.

I hope the council get Rio Architects back in.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 12:47 pm

From a veritable forest of yellow tower cranes at central square the last one is coming down today! So the next cranes in this neck of the woods will be for our new bus station, which is underway, no sorry is about to start this month - or next etc... ZZzzzz :roll:

CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Kyle

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 1:16 pm

Have they even announced a main contractor for the work yet?

Lewisbeecham

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 1:16 pm

No contractor and no design.

Kyle

Owen

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 2:17 pm

Finally!!!!
Any design is better than what the proposals were last summer with that horrible cross.
At a quick glance, I reckon it is 22 'apartment' floors

Kyle

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 2:30 pm

Interesting that the apartments are for the rental market as well, and related to it is this text in the article:

"L&G has already provided £400m in funding to help deliver Rightacre's wider Central Square scheme, so is an obvious candidate to provide finance to deliver the Interchange scheme.

It it has also recently launched a new build division for rented properties, in Legal & General Homes.

This could potentially see this division acquiring the 300 apartments that will be rented at the Interchange.

Lewisbeecham

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 3:43 pm

Out of the three, that's my favourite design. Now let's see those shovels in the ground next week!
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum