It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:21 am

New tower of glass opposit the golden cross

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Lewisbeecham

Re: New tower of glass opposit the golden cross

PostSun Apr 22, 2018 6:19 am

Interesting, it does leave me with some confidence that it will eventually start. But we could potentially have to wait until 2024, since we know it's going to take 3 years to build. They might even build the proposed student accommodation in Central Quay before this is finished. It may be too late by then...

Kyle

PostSun Apr 22, 2018 11:13 am

I suppose it's this line that provides some sort of indication that something might happen still

"But Riverside's Iona Gordon was strongly against it and, despite her hope it had been scrapped, said there were indications preparatory work could start soon."

We'll see I guess.

Lewisbeecham

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 8:19 am

If you have a look at the Bridge Street Exchange website, a lot of the student flats are already let, and in my opinion, are very fairly priced.

This can only be good news for this tower!

RandomComment

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 1:03 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote:If you have a look at the Bridge Street Exchange website, a lot of the student flats are already let, and in my opinion, are very fairly priced.

This can only be good news for this tower!

I'm not sure it is doing so well. Only a couple of types are "SOLD OUT". We don't know what "Limited Availability" actually means. And most of the more expensive rooms are still just "Available".

Do most students in Cardiff in their first year still live in uni-managed halls? If so, maybe a lot of second, third year students will leave it late. But if you want people newly arriving in Cardiff to go for this accomodation.. wouldn't they have already looked to reserve accomodation? (shortly after getting offers).

And I'm not sure it does represent good value to students. You're looking at £123 - £145 a week for a fairly regular en-suite room with access to shared kitchen/lounge with 5-8 other people. Now these prices admittedly look broadly similar to university-provided en-suite accomodation.

But compared to living in shared student housing, its a lot. Its £530 - £630 a month, compared to pretty decent student housing between £300 - 400 a month (with cheaper, less nice stuff available too). OK in most of those you have to share bathrooms with someone else (typically one or two). And you'll have gas, electric, water, internet - but split multiple ways that isn't so expensive. But on the flip-side you'll probably have more control over who you live with; will probably have more independence/fewer rules; and probably have a private garden (although that can be a con as well as pro, given maintenance).

The studios offer poor value for money. You can rent a bigger one bed flat in Alto Lusso or St Davids II for less, or a much bigger two bed for much less per person. Maybe students find it hard to rent flats without a credit history? But otherwise I don't see why those able to afford the prices for studios don't look at general residential areas. They can't be that social wanting to be in a studio anyway!

AlwaysBeBlue

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 6:52 pm

Any one have any updates on this tower or are we going to be in the jacks shadow regarding tallest tower in Wales

Kyle

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 7:52 pm

AlwaysBeBlue wrote:Any one have any updates on this tower or are we going to be in the jacks shadow regarding tallest tower in Wales

Who knows on this one?!

There's another on Newport Road above 30 floors we are also waiting on as well isn't there?!

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 1:27 pm

Hallinans house in Newport Road is empty so that illustrates a certain amount of intention that something will happen there. But no signs of it being internally stripped for demolition when I past just days ago. They'll be building that 8ish storey hotel next door pretty soon it seems, as they've flattened Cromwell House - RIP. As for the tall one in customhouse street - a friend of mine used to work for watkin-jones at bridge st. and said that maybe something would be happening feb/march? Maybe we'll hear something on this one soon - be it yay or nay. We really need to get that tallest in Wales status!! :)
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Kyle

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 2:48 pm

paul cardiffwalesmap wrote:Hallinans house in Newport Road is empty so that illustrates a certain amount of intention that something will happen there. But no signs of it being internally stripped for demolition when I past just days ago. They'll be building that 8ish storey hotel next door pretty soon it seems, as they've flattened Cromwell House - RIP. As for the tall one in customhouse street - a friend of mine used to work for watkin-jones at bridge st. and said that maybe something would be happening feb/march? Maybe we'll hear something on this one soon - be it yay or nay. We really need to get that tallest in Wales status!! :)

Howells, who left Hallinans House, are involved in the project...so you'd like to think that
indicstes something. However, it could also mean they'll sell the plot onto someone else if they no longer see a reason to continue with the existing plans. It would be good to know what's going on. Anyone known anyone at Howells?

Lewisbeecham

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 5:47 pm

I've noticed electrification lines have very recently been put in around the Premier Inn, Custom House and John Street proposed towers. Wouldn't surprise me if that is the ultimate hold up for the first two towers.

Kyle

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 2:08 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote:I've noticed electrification lines have very recently been put in around the Premier Inn, Custom House and John Street proposed towers. Wouldn't surprise me if that is the ultimate hold up for the first two towers.

Plus maybe the start on the first phase of John Street before the tower in the second phase? They've been using the site to do all that electrification work haven't they?

With all the positive letting news out of Number 3 and Number 4 maybe they'll make a start this year?
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum