It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 am

General Developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

paul cardiffwalesmap

Re: General Developments

PostFri May 11, 2018 10:23 am

re the ramp - I'm sure I heard something about a sink hole :shock: ???
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

RandomComment

PostFri May 11, 2018 10:54 am

Cwlcymro wrote:
Simon__200 wrote:Certainly a Sprite up is long overdue,but the illustration shown looks exactly the same to me. I don't get what it is they're planning that requires planning permission.

That's what I was thinking!
By the way, what exactly is the issue that requires that huge ramp thing outside Salt?

Well for a start, they plan a lot of new signage - which requires planning permission, even if nothing else does.

But looking at it, it seems there could be changes to the units on the ground floor (Eddies through what was Strada) to make them look a bit less dark and shadowed.

Ash

PostFri May 11, 2018 2:30 pm

Simon__200 wrote:
Can't say I agree. Most of the restaurants seem to have been snapped by the same chain. Strada, one of the better ones IMHO, has gone, that coffee shop has gone and the building even disappeared, even the Juboraj Indian restaurant has now closed.

Coffee Mania was a great business and always busy. It didn't fail as a business, it closed on MQ so that the building could be demolished to enable the proposed refresh.

Who exactly owns the restaurants is irrelevent. It does nothing to alter the fact that the occupancy rate at MQ is as good, if not better, than comporable sites like the Old Brewery and Saint Davids.

Amoore

PostFri May 11, 2018 4:17 pm

It surely does matter a bit, because if the majority of units are leased by the same company, it's a lot of eggs in one basket.

Ash

PostFri May 11, 2018 11:22 pm

Amoore wrote:It surely does matter a bit, because if the majority of units are leased by the same company, it's a lot of eggs in one basket.

Well, maybe. It's odd though that people whinge about a Welsh based company running multiple units succesfully in MQ for over a decade while regarding an ever changing mish-mash of English and foreign owned chains as a badge of success in the Brewery Quarter and Saint Davids.

I guess it's the old Welsh inferiority complex again. Shouldn't we applaud our success stories?

cardiffian

PostSat May 12, 2018 9:59 am

Ash wrote:Well, maybe. It's odd though that people whinge about a Welsh based company running multiple units succesfully in MQ for over a decade while regarding an ever changing mish-mash of English and foreign owned chains as a badge of success in the Brewery Quarter and Saint Davids.

I guess it's the old Welsh inferiority complex again. Shouldn't we applaud our success stories?

Seriously no one cares whether brands are Welsh or English.... ;)

Lyndon

PostSat May 12, 2018 12:08 pm

cardiffian wrote:
Seriously no one cares whether brands are Welsh or English.... ;)

Er....yes we do.

Simon__200

PostTue May 15, 2018 3:45 am

Why? In this particular case it's simply a case of "they might be a bit rubbish, samey and mediocre, but at least they're *our* rubbish, samey and mediocre".

Thanks, but I'd kind of rather have a varied decent range of decent places. It's nice that they're local, obviously, but it's not the only thing that matters, nor the most important thing.

lucky

PostTue May 15, 2018 11:32 am

Also, their offerings aren't that impressive, even if they are Welsh owned. One of them is the only place I've ever been where I ordered crab cakes and found they'd been made with crabsticks (which, for anyone not familiar with them, are certainly not made of crab).

Amoore

PostTue May 15, 2018 2:00 pm

"And from 1993, manufacturers have been legally obliged to label them ‘crab flavoured sticks’" ;)
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum