It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:42 am

Cardiff Bay Beach

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Cardiff

Re: Cardiff Bay Beach

PostTue Jun 26, 2018 10:10 pm

They took it down, either completely and replaced it with another or just moved it, im not sure which.

Lewisbeecham - click the link under the picture

Amoore

PostThu Jul 26, 2018 5:18 pm

I overheard a conversation the other day saying that the beach is not working in its new location and will be back in Roald Dahl Plass next year.

Also, get this... Because the new site is out of the way, the company behind the beach decided it needed to be much bigger with more attractions, and the only way to make this worthwhile was to extend the operation beyond the usual 4 weeks, which is why it opened early this year. This was all agreed, and they set everything up, only to be descended upon by Cardiff Council Planning Department, because if you keep any structure up beyond 4 weeks you need planning permission. And that's caused no end of headaches and extra cost.

God bless Cardiff Council and their willingness to get in the way at every opportunity.

DaiB

PostThu Jul 26, 2018 5:43 pm

And they should be exempted from the rules because...?

Victor Clam

PostThu Jul 26, 2018 6:04 pm

I suppose it depends on who it was all agreed with. If it was another department in the council you can understand the frustration of the organiser not being made aware that they needed to make an application for planning permission.

Now I don’t know the story but guessing that it’s better communication that was needed, rather than an exception to the rules.

DaiB

PostThu Jul 26, 2018 6:21 pm

Well yeah, fair enough if that was the scenario.

dazplott

PostThu Jul 26, 2018 7:40 pm

I never really saw it working in that location. Haven’t actually been out there yet myself, but I think that’s the issue - you actually have to make a little effort to get there. I know it’s not that far a walk, but with kids and perhaps older relatives I tow it could be a bit of a trek. I had my folks down last weekend and took them and my son to the bay for lunch. Had the beach been at the oval basin we would have had a look around and probably spent a few quid on rides etc.

As I recall the concept was always for an “urban beach”, the execution of this has looked pretty tacky (out of commercial necessity I presume) but I think locating it in the basin was beneficial both the temporary attractions and the permanent businesses in the bay. Moving it almost a mile away to what is essentially a no-mans-land between the redeveloped bay and the working docks wasn’t going to be anyone’s first choice.

I presume both the council and the amusement provider wanted to go ahead and it would have been clear from the outset that the amusements would need to be “bigger and better” to attract enough business to a more remote site. But this issue over planning permission seems like a red herring to me. The beach has always been open for at least 6 weeks - the length of the summer holidays.

Cardiffbay

PostThu Jul 26, 2018 9:58 pm

I thought it was moved due to the Eisteddfod which always felt a bit of a shame to me that something that always contributes to Cardiff’s summer gets moved for something that will contribute very little.

Lewisbeecham

PostThu Jul 26, 2018 11:41 pm

If you think the Eisteddfod is proving nothing then you really need to think outside of your own bubble.

Alvear24

PostFri Jul 27, 2018 8:42 am

I think that we can ALL agree than if anyone is in a bubble it's welsh speakers!!

Rhodri

PostFri Jul 27, 2018 11:08 am

Alvear24 wrote:I think that we can ALL agree than if anyone is in a bubble it's welsh speakers!!

There we are then
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum