It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:25 am

New Housing in Barry

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Frank

New Housing in Barry

PostSun Jul 01, 2018 8:24 am

Went down to the island yesterday and all in all I thought Barry was looking okay. Hadn't been for years but reasonably tidy the fairground was back and most surprising to me was all the new housing. Can't really comment on quality but there is quite a bit going on. It obviously suits retirees, maybe a few commuters too - good rail connections to Cardiff but road-wise not so great even if there's a couple of options. All the more reason to complete the Cardiff ringroad.

Kyle

Re: New Housing in Barry

PostSun Jul 01, 2018 10:53 am

Frank wrote:Went down to the island yesterday and all in all I thought Barry was looking okay. Hadn't been for years but reasonably tidy the fairground was back and most surprising to me was all the new housing. Can't really comment on quality but there is quite a bit going on. It obviously suits retirees, maybe a few commuters too - good rail connections to Cardiff but road-wise not so great even if there's a couple of options. All the more reason to complete the Cardiff ringroad.

I don't see how the Cardiff ring-road completion would help Barry Frank? Are you talking about the A4232 or some ring road in Barry?

What Barry needs for me is a better link up to the M4 at J34 that would serve it and the airport, plus help bring more traffic down to the town from the M4 that isn't having to use the A4232. It would help the area out massively, but of course the usual NIMBYs in the VoG wouldn't let that through.

Frank

PostSun Jul 01, 2018 11:18 am

I'm thinking more of people wanting to bypass Cardiff and get to Newport onwards. Maybe in the long run a north south connection t the airport would be best. The question I suppose is whether Rhoose is worth it?

Mr Blue Sky

PostSun Jul 01, 2018 12:56 pm

People wanting to travel to Cardiff from Barry currently have 3 options: 1 Sully and Penarth 2 Dinas Powys 3 Wenvoe

These ultimately branch into 4 routes as they enter Cardiff
1 Culverhouse Cross 2 Leckwith 3 Penarth Rd 4 International Sports Village.

The Wenvoe and Dinas Powys routes are terribly congested at peak times. A DP bypass may be built but the congestion would merely be shifted to between the Merrie Harrier and Barons Court junctions, although this would spare the poor people of Dinas Powys from being choked by fumes.

There is no easy solution to the difficulty of commuting from Barry to Cardiff by car, or in making Barry more accessible to Cardiffians using their cars. I think that the Metro may have plans to increase service from 4tph to 5tph on the VOG line and that, combined with more capacious trains, will help a little.

As for the link from Barry to the M4, Five Mile Lane, it is in the process of being significantly upgraded.

http://www.valeofglamorgan.gov.uk/en/ou ... oject.aspx

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum