It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:25 am

Cardiff airport

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

HalRobsonKanu

Re: Cardiff airport

PostFri Jul 06, 2018 10:13 am

Thanks Ash.

Lewisbeecham

PostFri Jul 06, 2018 10:16 am

The route is all about the cargo. From a Facebook group that consists of workers from the Airport, the afternoon flights are now regularly having 200+ economy passengers. Morning flight isn't as popular. But the passenger numbers are exeeding expectations.

So much so that the frequency has been increased from 5x weekly in May 2019 to 6x weekly. It's then daily from June-October.

Lewisbeecham

PostFri Jul 06, 2018 10:39 am

TUI have also just started advertising packages using the Qatar flight to numerous places in the far East.

Bali
Thailand has 3 offerings.
Khao Lak
Krabi
Phuket
Sri Lanka
Maldives

That'll certainly help the economy figures.

Shminky Binky

PostFri Jul 06, 2018 2:39 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote:TUI have also just started advertising packages using the Qatar flight to numerous places in the far East.

Bali
Khao Lak
Krabi
Phuket
Sri Lanka
Maldives

I was curious to see what they were offering for the Maldives, as that is where i went for my honeymoon. Every option i tried for this year was sold out.

Lewisbeecham

PostFri Jul 06, 2018 3:02 pm

Shminky Binky wrote:
Lewisbeecham wrote:TUI have also just started advertising packages using the Qatar flight to numerous places in the far East.

Bali
Khao Lak
Krabi
Phuket
Sri Lanka
Maldives

I was curious to see what they were offering for the Maldives, as that is where i went for my honeymoon. Every option i tried for this year was sold out.

Hmm... perhaps they will be on sale by Monday? I'd be surprised if it was completely sold out. Odd!

Shminky Binky

PostFri Jul 06, 2018 3:20 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote:
Shminky Binky wrote:

Bali
Khao Lak
Krabi
Phuket
Sri Lanka
Maldives

Hmm... perhaps they will be on sale by Monday? I'd be surprised if it was completely sold out. Odd!

I thought the same so i tried Thailand and options were provided.

Lewisbeecham

PostFri Jul 06, 2018 5:23 pm

It's interesting that TUI are labelling the flights as British Airways. They are codeshared, perhaps they felt Qatar is too unknown and people would be more attracted to BA?

Alvear24

PostTue Jul 17, 2018 4:21 pm

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/ne ... 50646.html

Eleven weeks after Qatar Airways launched flights between Cardiff Airport and its hub in Doha, the airline’s chief executive has expressed disappointment with how well the flights are attracting passengers.

Akbar Al Baker told The Independent: “Cardiff is still not performing as we expected it to perform. We are giving it time. We are hoping Cardiff will come around, passenger-wise. Air freight-wise, it’s doing absolutely well – there’s a lot of air-freight demand in and out of Cardiff.”

Cardiff Airport was bought by the Welsh Government for £52m in 2013. Its most recent figures showed an annual loss of £6m.

The airport narrowly won the new route to and from Doha in competition with nearby Bristol. Mr Al Baker told the BBC in March: “We had competition between Wales and Bristol and Wales won.”

The connection with Doha has had wide-ranging benefits. South Wales is now one stop from New South Wales and the rest of Australia, with Bali, Bangkok and 150 other destinations available to travellers.

The launch, on 1 May, also put Cardiff on the map in many other parts of the world, making it accessible from China, India and Africa with a single change of plane.

It is unusual for an airline chief executive to comment on a new route other than to say it is performing in line with expectations.

In common with other airlines, Qatar Airways keeps its performance figures for individual routes confidential. For the coming weekend, demand – and fares – are very high. But the airline will be looking keenly at forward bookings.

Comparing the airline’s fares from Cardiff with those from other UK airports, such as Manchester, prices are often lower from Wales. To Mumbai on the Saturday before Christmas and returning a fortnight later, for example, the prevailing fare from Manchester is almost 50 per cent higher than from Cardiff. But Mr Al Baker said: “It is a long-term investment, and we will wait and see how the Cardiff flights will rebound.”

He added: “The rest of the network in the UK is doing good."

The Qatar Airways chief executive has also warned travellers looking ahead to Christmas 2022 to book early, because of the reduction in the supply of seats caused by Qatar’s staging of the World Cup in November and December of that year.

Ash

PostWed Jul 18, 2018 9:00 am

New 'smart' terminal and hotel in Cardiff Airport 20-year plan

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-44864963

It's also been announced that the Airport Company are taking over the management of the Saint Athan runway and business park from the MOD.

jonbvn

PostWed Jul 18, 2018 9:16 am

It is concerning that the Qatar CEO put out such a statement. Trying to read between the lines here, but are they considering pulling the route??
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum