It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:02 am

General Developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Cwlcymro

Re: General Developments

PostMon Jul 09, 2018 12:42 pm

HalRobsonKanu wrote:Very good question about the tube. For anyone who grew up in Cardiff during the 80s and 90s this was a truly iconic structure.

Bluegazza wrote:On another note the Dr Who Building is starting to look really unloved if it's not to be used should they take it down? Or let world of boats use it or a visistor centre like the white tube years ago whatever happened to that?

All I can find is that it was dismantled and "put into storage' in 2011. The company who ran it ceased trading in 2006 and Cardiff Council then ran it until 2010 so I'm assuming the Council knows where it is!

As for Dr Who, it will have a very temporary use in August as the youth festival site of the Eisteddfod.

Ash

PostMon Jul 09, 2018 12:49 pm

The metal components of the Tube were just inside the docks perimeter at the bay end of Queen Alexandra Dock at one time. You could see them from the footpath leading to the barrage. I'm not sure if they're still there.

Cardiff

PostMon Jul 09, 2018 3:10 pm

Thats where the new space they created for the Volvo Ocean race is, i dont know where its been moved now.

Lewisbeecham

PostThu Jul 12, 2018 1:04 pm

Purpose-built Cardiff student blocks are already being converted away from student accommodation as an application goes in for change of use from 34 apartments to 34 ‘apart-hotel rooms’ on Park Lane.

Thoughts?

Owen

PostThu Jul 12, 2018 5:21 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote:Purpose-built Cardiff student blocks are already being converted away from student accommodation as an application goes in for change of use from 34 apartments to 34 ‘apart-hotel rooms’ on Park Lane.

Thoughts?

These are the occupancy figures they gives as justification:
Yr 16/17 - 94%
Yr 17/18 - 65%
Yr 18/19 - 18% vs 24% compared to this time last yr (calculate as 48% once Yr begins)

So within 3 yrs, it’s already less than 50% occupied and they make reference to other developments still being built or to begin development. Yet there are still applications being submitted. The planning department will argue it’s not their role to consider demand when deciding applications, but how could they continue to grant further application for student accommodation whilst they are receiving applications to convert student accommodation

I don’t know much about ‘serviced appartments’ Other than horror stories you read in the news about the developments off dumballs Rd in the bay and stag parties shitting in corridors. Yippee!
They are classed as C1 Hotel - does that mean they at least pay council tax / have to provide any element of parking / have to be a certain standard better than student accommodation. Anyone know?

HalRobsonKanu

PostFri Jul 13, 2018 10:16 am

This is getting very close to a banned topic of discussion, but I made the mistake last night of getting involved in a conversation with a bus driver about the amount of student accommodation being built in Cardiff city centre. He told me, with absolute certainty that some of the blocks were only a third occupied by students and that the other two thirds of the buildings were being filled up with migrants "because of EU quotas, cos we're still in".

It makes me really sad that people are prepared to believe such rubbish. However, the figures above from Owen and the shenanigans of the property developers, do make you realise why people are cynical about these things. It's just a tragedy that it's the weakest in society and phantom bogeymen that are getting the blame, rather than the people that are genuinely responsible for creating our "made in Britain" housing crisis.

RandomComment

PostFri Jul 13, 2018 3:54 pm

I'm not sure what to believe here. The evident interest in the sector (still) would suggest people think money can be made. Given high yields and cheap borrowing, maybe that's because they don't need great occupancy to earn a return (although clearly more than 50%). Perhaps things will go "boom" when interest rates rise.

Or are they still pushing for it because they see it as a backdoor to avoid S106 contributions to affordable housing, etc. Build it as student accom rather than apartments so no affordable housing requirements. Then convert and claim that it would not be financially viable to have affordable housing at that stage (which, taking that stage on its own, is probably true). In such circumstances the council should ideally stick firm. Can only convert if you meet the full requirements. In the short term that means companies losing money on half empty student blocks. In the medium and longer term they don't try to get around the planning system with tricks.

Have the same view with social housing requirements. Making them negotiable might seem like a good idea: "well at least we'll get something". But that means developers are willing to pay more for the land, knowing that the subsequent viability test will allow them to claim the standard requirement is unviable. Make it compulsory/non-negotiable, and they'll be willing to pay less for the land. Less in some lucky landowners hands, but more social housing.

Cardiff

PostSun Jul 15, 2018 11:11 pm

Possibly interesting thing i saw today, at Capital waterside (whatever they call it now) they recently did a lot of work tidying up buildings and pathways around the site. One other thing they did was convert the long defunct restaurant by Scott Harbour into an office, looking in the window today I saw a model of the original development and wondered if this might be a starter in marketing the long empty remaining sites, especially with Premier Inn taking one of their sites not long after them taking over.

LocalLurker

PostTue Jul 17, 2018 6:38 pm

New housing plans for Channel View in Grangetown...

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wale ... w-14917485

HalRobsonKanu

PostWed Jul 18, 2018 9:53 am

Very hard to tell anything about the likely quality of this development from those images. Investment in new social housing is certainly to be welcomed though, as long as it's of a decent standard.

Did we previously know about any proposals for a new bridge here? This is great news for walkers, runners and cyclists as it will allow them to complete a circuit of the bay without needing to use the A4232 to cross the Taff.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum