It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 am

Cardiff Bay Beach

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Alvear24

Re: Cardiff Bay Beach

PostFri Jul 27, 2018 11:25 pm

You thought everyone here would agree with you. No one did. Now you appear to think that the people who disagree with you must be Welsh speakers. Maybe you should take a reality check.

Maybe.....but maybe not:

http://blogs.cardiff.ac.uk/electionsinw ... anguage-i/

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2018/04/a-j ... njandrums/

https://www.opendemocracy.net/ourkingdo ... h-language

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wale ... te-1816843

http://theconversation.com/teenage-apat ... uage-48422

My money's on it running out of puff and claiming fewer speakers than 200,000 by 2040......

Ash

PostSat Jul 28, 2018 1:35 am

Oh God, how desperate are you getting?

If ancient opinion pieces are the best you can up with, good luck with that.

I have no idea what the future of the Welsh language may be - but nor do you. What I do believe is that it's a precious thing which people in Wales, Welsh speaking or not, regard as valuable and important. Every opinion survey in recent years bear that out.

Frankly, If you think that what a twat like Rod Liddle thinks is important, it says more about you than it does about the Welsh language.

I won't argue with you any more. As Lyndon said, his daughters guinea pigs have more brains!

Lewisbeecham

PostSat Jul 28, 2018 2:49 am

I think this has gone rather off topic now.

Simon__200

PostSat Jul 28, 2018 11:32 am

Alvear24 wrote:
Lyndon wrote:
Alvear24 wrote:
Interesting that you chose not to address that fact that it's elitist, out of touch or militant......perhaps a smidgen of truth there?......but I agree with you in that I don't think even the welsh language brigade haven't figured out how to restrict entry on linguistic capability.......yet

You're an idiot, spouting bullshit. It would be a more constructive use of my time to argue with my daughters' guinea pigs.

Gosh....I wonder why so many of the population have an issue with Welsh speakers.........?????? :?

I'm not a Welsh speaker and I concur with Lyndon. You really are an idiot. Completely pointless engaging with anyone with such a lack of mental capacity. Utterly pointless.

You should feel ashamed of how you've hijacked this thread to spill your ill-informed bile.

Cen

PostSat Jul 28, 2018 8:03 pm

Please stop.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostSat Jul 28, 2018 11:06 pm

Cen wrote:Please stop.

yep this is going nowhere good :cry: obviously and quite rightly people have strong opinions on such matters as the Welsh language - Perhaps a new thread could be started? (but alas it will probably end in insults again). There's no great solution to this folks, as people are entitled to their own opinions - but if only we could keep it as debate and not insults :roll:
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Simon__200

PostMon Jul 30, 2018 12:20 am

paul cardiffwalesmap wrote:

yep this is going nowhere good :cry: obviously and quite rightly people have strong opinions on such matters as the Welsh language - Perhaps a new thread could be started? (but alas it will probably end in insults again). There's no great solution to this folks, as people are entitled to their own opinions - but if only we could keep it as debate and not insults :roll:

The old "people are entitled to the own opinions" thing is used to excuse all sorts of bollocks.
This is an Eisteddford FFS! The one time that Welsh culture and heritage is celebrated in its own right and some idiots are complaining that they speak Welsh there.

Come on! It's a bit like turning up to a pride festival and complaining that it's full of gays. If you don't like it, you don't have to visit it. You know what you're getting, and attendance is not compulsory. I'm planning on visiting it and I shan't care how many Welsh speakers are there or what some ridiculous miserable sods on this board think.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostMon Jul 30, 2018 1:06 am

Simon__200 wrote:
paul cardiffwalesmap wrote:

The old "people are entitled to the own opinions" thing is used to excuse all sorts of bollocks.
This is an Eisteddford FFS! The one time that Welsh culture and heritage is celebrated in its own right and some idiots are complaining that they speak Welsh there.

Come on! It's a bit like turning up to a pride festival and complaining that it's full of gays. If you don't like it, you don't have to visit it. You know what you're getting, and attendance is not compulsory. I'm planning on visiting it and I shan't care how many Welsh speakers are there or what some ridiculous miserable sods on this board think.

I'm not disagreeing with you - I think that the Eisteddfod being here is great and a celebration of Welsh culture and the Welsh language. I'm not a Welsh speaker but my daughter is (her school is Glantaf). I hope it's a great success and I'm sure it will be! I think that it's justifiably displaced the Cardiff Bay beach this year (attempt to get us back on topic!! ;) ) My only point I try to make is that issues that throw up a discussion about the Welsh language on here should be done without contributors hurling insults - when that's done the 'hurler' loses any point they are trying to make in my book. Still that's forums for you eh!
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Cwlcymro

PostMon Jul 30, 2018 5:23 pm

My 9 year old step-daughter speaks nearly no Welsh, but can't wait for the Eisteddfod in the bay this year. Since it's so close and has free entry, she insists that we go for all 5 days (unlike the 1 day we did in Abergavenny and in Anglesey).

Yes, the Eisteddfod is mainly in Welsh. That's because it's a Welsh language festival. Complaining about that is like complaining there's not enough hard rock music in Brecon Jazz, or too many books in the Hay on Wye festival. But the fact that it's a Welsh language festival doesn't make it a festival just for Welsh speakers. It's a great opportunity for those who don't speak Welsh (and especially those like my step-daughter who lives in an area like Cwmbran where she doesn't hear much Welsh) to experience the language and the culture around it in a friendly environment.

There's a small minority in Wales who seem to hate the language for some reason, and even though you can find Welsh speakers and overflowing Welsh language schools in the most deprived villages of the valleys, in the middle of Splott and all over the low-income rural areas in the North and West, they're convinced that only "elites" and "middle class people" speak it. If the Eisteddfod only went to Welsh speaking rural areas, they'd complain the festival was not inclusive and was insular. When the festival comes right to the middle of Cardiff, gets rid of its entrance fee and promotes itself to the whole city, they still complain.

Thankfully 86% of Wales are proud of the language, whether they speak it or not. 67% of Wales think MORE need to be done to support the language. 62% of non-Welsh speakers wish they could speak it, and 85% of those who speak a little, wish they could speak it better. Only 6% of non-Wales speakers disagree with the idea of being proud of the Welsh language, and only 2% believe that strongly. The anti-Welsh language brigade is just a very small, but noisy minority in our country.

As for the topic itself, is it true that there's no pool at the beach this year? My fiancee read that on Facebook and she is annoyed! Says she has no interest in going when it's hot if they've gotten rid of the paddling pool.

RandomComment

PostMon Jul 30, 2018 6:22 pm

Cwlcymro wrote:As for the topic itself, is it true that there's no pool at the beach this year? My fiancee read that on Facebook and she is annoyed! Says she has no interest in going when it's hot if they've gotten rid of the paddling pool.

The event website says there is a "splash zone" rather than a paddling pool. This probably has water fountains and spouts that people can splash about in. It suggests its been done to "offer something new" and be "more inclusive to disabled guests" - as wheelchairs could not access the old pool.

What it looks like is that it was considered prohibitively expensive to install wheelchair/disabled accessibility to the paddling pool (e.g. one of those special chairs to lower a disabled individual safely into the water). Perhaps it is difficult / costly to do for a temporary paddling pool, which is probably kept fairly isolated from electricity. Not sure it would be considered an "unreasonable" adjustment - which is what is required to allow a business to 'discriminate' against disabled people by providing a service/facility they cannot access.

Its a bit of a shame if they got rid of it for Equality Act reasons though. I very much agree with requirements for "reasonable" adjustments. I'm just not sure I agree with the reasonability test when something is temporary. Are there still plans to close existing toilets on Valleylines trains because they aren't accessible? (before the extra facilities at stations for disabled and non-disabled people are in place, as we move to toiletless tram-trains).
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum