It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:53 am

General Developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

redragon

Re: General Developments

PostWed Aug 01, 2018 10:39 am

City road? It’s pretty poor - low quality, low density Victorian buildings that are shot and some horrific new builds popping up in every burnt out plot...

Brickworks is excellent - reminds me of Manchester. I would love to see more.

Cardiff

PostFri Aug 03, 2018 4:26 pm

Wow when will the investment in Cardiff central stop! ;)

https://twitter.com/ArrivaTW/status/1025022430350397441

Simon_SW17

PostSat Aug 04, 2018 12:05 pm

What a waste of space, hardly anything to brag about. :D

DaiB

PostSat Aug 04, 2018 1:01 pm

Simon_SW17 wrote:What a waste of space, hardly anything to brag about. :D

Why is an area that people can charge their phones or do a bit of work in out of the weather while they wait for the train a waste of space? Looks like an improvement to me.

And I wouldn't expect massive investment from Arriva given they only have two months left of their franchise. Surprised they've bothered at all really.

Simon_SW17

PostSat Aug 04, 2018 1:12 pm

DaiB wrote:
Simon_SW17 wrote:What a waste of space, hardly anything to brag about. :D

Why is an area that people can charge their phones or do a bit of work in out of the weather while they wait for the train a waste of space? Looks like an improvement to me.

And I wouldn't expect massive investment from Arriva given they only have two months left of their franchise. Surprised they've bothered at all really.

In the first picture there are a few stools on each side of the room, nothing on the far wall and a load of empty floor space in the middle, not a good use of the space at all. That is only my opinion of course :)

DaiB

PostSat Aug 04, 2018 3:07 pm

I thought you meant a waste of space altogether! Yeah, it's probably not as efficient as it could be.

Bluegazza

PostSat Aug 04, 2018 9:41 pm

Didn't know you could buy such a small screen for train times any more! Must be left over from the naughties

Kyle

PostThu Aug 09, 2018 11:50 am

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/new-easyhotel-set-open-cardiff-15007563

Looks like this is definitely happening then. The expected opening is amusing though - 2019/20....so no official start date yet then.

It's right next to the big student housing plot that also has planning permission at Halinans House, so could be a busy little street by the start of next year if they also start on that.

Edit: A bit more here, saying roughly the same thing, but it does sound like a start is quite soon

https://www.insidermedia.com/insider/wales/acquisition-completes-on-cardiff-site-for-easyhotel

Simon__200

PostThu Aug 09, 2018 2:56 pm

Why build a hotel that's so budget that rooms cost ~£20 a night? You can pay £10 for a parking space in Cardiff, and that's just an 8ft by wide by 16ft piece of bare asphalt or concrete. You don't need to provide heating, plumbing, bedding, cleaning or any significant staffing whatsoever.

RandomComment

PostThu Aug 09, 2018 6:19 pm

Simon__200 wrote:Why build a hotel that's so budget that rooms cost ~£20 a night? You can pay £10 for a parking space in Cardiff, and that's just an 8ft by wide by 16ft piece of bare asphalt or concrete. You don't need to provide heating, plumbing, bedding, cleaning or any significant staffing whatsoever.

Because you wouldn't actually be able to get many parking spaces on this site. An individual parking space is quite small (although probably bigger than the average Easyhotel room!) but you need to be able to drive in to them - so you need 'roads'. And if you want to go multi-storey, you need ramps, which take up space. (even car lifts take up some space and certainly cost money).

Instead you can build on a pretty small site a mid-rise building that will give you 100+ hotel rooms. And rooms might start from £20 when demand is low. But you can guarantee they'll be a lot more than that when demand is high.

Nothing stopping that for parking but I think parking demand is more price-responsive. People are willing to park a bit away and walk. Maybe risk a parking fine. They're not willing to sleep out in the street.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum