It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:44 am

Cardiff restaurants and cafes

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Mr Blue Sky

Re: Cardiff restaurants and cafes

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 8:09 pm

We've discussed trends about dining out before; this is a really interesting article about what is happening in the US. They are spending as much on eating out (including takeaways) as on groceries and I believe that this is where we are heading in the UK.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... e-too-much

Ash

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 11:19 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote: Five guys burgers are nowhere near as nice imo as Hard Rock Cafe burgers. I've never eaten at Grazing Shed so I can't comment.

Each to his own, personal taste and all that! The truth is though that HRC closed their Cardiff franchise, presumably because people wouldn't pay for their overpriced burgers.

I don't get this idea that somehow Cardiff didn't deserve HRC. The customer is king, and Cardiff people obviously didn't warm to their offer.

Lewisbeecham

PostSun Aug 19, 2018 5:13 am

Ash wrote:
Mr Blue Sky wrote: Five guys burgers are nowhere near as nice imo as Hard Rock Cafe burgers. I've never eaten at Grazing Shed so I can't comment.

Each to his own, personal taste and all that! The truth is though that HRC closed their Cardiff franchise, presumably because people wouldn't pay for their overpriced burgers.

I don't get this idea that somehow Cardiff didn't deserve HRC. The customer is king, and Cardiff people obviously didn't warm to their offer.

I personally think Cardiff has evolved a lot since 2010 when HRC closed. It's almost a different city. And no doubt I'll say the same come 2026.

Really interesting article on BBC News this morning. In particular includes information on the old Post Office which I didn't know. It could remain empty until 2023 as BT are leasing some of it, but clearly not all of it.

Cardiff's 'heritage homicide' must end to attract visitors - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-45207406

Ash

PostSun Aug 19, 2018 7:59 am

It is an interesting piece but it's rather odd that the only two pieces 'heritage homicide' cited, the Cory Hall and the Fire Station occurred fourty odd years ago! It's also incorrect in saying that Sydney's QVB is a home to independent retailers. It's dominated by upscale chains. Fantastic building though.

No reason to write him off but I suspect the gentleman making the complaint is rather elderly!

Cardiff

PostSun Aug 19, 2018 10:14 am

Does sound a bit of a non article, buildings like the old library and Pierhead building are used for tourists, i cant see House of Fraser being used like a QVB in Sydney, especially as next door is our own version the indoor market, which i worry also has its client base dying out and needs a makeover alla the food court in Harrods or Sydney's' QVB or even like Telok Ayer Market in Singapore

Ash

PostSun Aug 19, 2018 7:50 pm

I agree with you about central market. I'm surprised that the mix of stalls has changed so little over the years. There does seem to movement with Milgi and one or two others opening stalls but really they need to have a proper strategy in place to create bit of buzz.

Simon_SW17

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 9:42 am

The market needs to follow Tooting Market, which has become a really buzzing place at night with tapas bars, restaurants and wine bars mixed in with some kebab and Chinese stalls buffets. The market building in Cardiff is a lot nicer as well. I can see some nice little bars on the first floor with a great view of the rest of the market.

MattW

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 2:51 pm

Has anyone here ever been to the Time Out market in Lisbon?

Cardiff could really do with something like that!

daearegwr

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 3:59 pm

MattW wrote:Has anyone here ever been to the Time Out market in Lisbon?

And like the Foodhallen in Amsterdam http://foodhallen.nl/

Wasn't there talk of doing something like that with the 'Burger & Lobster' empty unit in the hayes?

Simon_SW17

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 4:39 pm

daearegwr wrote:
MattW wrote:Has anyone here ever been to the Time Out market in Lisbon?

And like the Foodhallen in Amsterdam http://foodhallen.nl/

Wasn't there talk of doing something like that with the 'Burger & Lobster' empty unit in the hayes?

There's an application to convert the ex Burger & Lobster into offices sadly, it's difficult to coax people upstairs for a restaurant I guess.

Timeout Market in Lisbon is very cool, would be a good template.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum