It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:31 am

Cardiff restaurants and cafes

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Bluegazza

Re: Cardiff restaurants and cafes

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 8:46 pm

I agree with the idea of improving central market I'm just not too sure a complete overhaul is needed to try and copy another cities market might draw the comparison of "it's like elsewhere but not as good" maybe trying to be uniquely Cardiff might have other places saying wouldn't it be good if it was like Cardiff market?

Ash

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 10:18 pm

Entirely agree - but there needs to be a strategy for a wonderful space.

Should it be open in the evening, for instance. That would change the mix of stalls.

Should bars be encouraged? They're currently not.

Should there be a table section? That's the best bit of Swansea market.

As I understand it, the market more or less pays for itself and is, as a result, a low priority for the council. That's fine and totally understandable. It could be so much more though.

Simon_SW17

PostTue Aug 21, 2018 8:08 am

Simon_SW17 wrote:The Loungers are all bars with a strong food offer but not restaurants like Cosy Club.

Wales Online are reporting that it is going to be a Cosy Club sadly.

Amoore

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 5:14 pm

The application stated it was for Cosy Club in the first place.

HalRobsonKanu

PostThu Aug 30, 2018 10:12 am

This sounds like it could be a nice little addition to Crwys Road.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/ ... o-15081855

Amoore

PostThu Aug 30, 2018 1:19 pm

Burrito Brothers and Pulse in the Capitol Centre appear to have closed at some point this week.

Owen

PostThu Aug 30, 2018 1:37 pm

Amoore wrote:Burrito Brothers and Pulse in the Capitol Centre appear to have closed at some point this week.

Pulse is just shut for a refurbishment. Open again on Friday

Amoore

PostThu Aug 30, 2018 2:02 pm

Owen wrote:
Amoore wrote:Burrito Brothers and Pulse in the Capitol Centre appear to have closed at some point this week.

Pulse is just shut for a refurbishment. Open again on Friday

Quite right - I popped my head around the doors shortly after I posted and spoke to one of the builders. The ground floor "daytime" bar is closed for two weeks, but the basement nightclub will open Friday and Saturday as usual.

Seems to be a substantial refurbishment. From what I could see they've stripped the place out and it's an empty shell.

RandomComment

PostThu Aug 30, 2018 3:26 pm

If I were them, I would rename the upstairs bar/cafe into something that sounds more like a place to grab a bite to eat. Names, signage, etc., as well as decor, are hugely important in signposting what it is you do, and their location is such that they could do a lot more daytime trade if they get the image/ambience right.

The club on the lower level could remain as Pulse. It sort of operates as a separate venue anyway given the entrance charge means they close off the internal staircase between levels.

There was some talk a couple of years ago about knocking through from the current downstairs room into an adjoining space currently used for general storage. That would have allowed a second room playing different music. Apparently wasn't worth it given the kind of crowds Pulse attracts on a typical weekend.

Amoore

PostThu Aug 30, 2018 4:27 pm

RandomComment wrote:If I were them, I would rename the upstairs bar/cafe into something that sounds more like a place to grab a bite to eat. Names, signage, etc., as well as decor, are hugely important in signposting what it is you do, and their location is such that they could do a lot more daytime trade if they get the image/ambience right.

The club on the lower level could remain as Pulse. It sort of operates as a separate venue anyway given the entrance charge means they close off the internal staircase between levels.

There was some talk a couple of years ago about knocking through from the current downstairs room into an adjoining space currently used for general storage. That would have allowed a second room playing different music. Apparently wasn't worth it given the kind of crowds Pulse attracts on a typical weekend.

Pulse doesn't operate as you describe. During nightclub hours you pay at a booth outside and the whole venue is treated as a club, with DJs on each floor. It gets very busy at the weekend and I suspect that's where the main money is to be made, with the daytime trade being a bonus.

I think it was mentioned on here that they were negotiating to knock through to the management suite at the Capitol, which is directly behind. Considering the snail's pace of the Capitol development, perhaps it's not surprising those plans haven't come to fruition. They could probably do with the extra room considering how busy it was last time I attended, although the music in both existing floors is pretty similar as it is, so not sure what it would add apart from more space.

Somewhere else in desperate need of refurbishment is Wow Bar opposite. A far cry from when it was the stylish Glo Bar.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum