It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:39 pm

Hinkley Point

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Frank

Hinkley Point

PostSun Sep 02, 2018 2:43 pm

There's nothing on here about this but you must all be aware of the campaign against the dumping of nuclear material in the Severn estuary. Ought we to be worried? And why does it appear that it is 'this side' of the estuary that they want to dump it.

daearegwr

Re: Hinkley Point

PostMon Sep 03, 2018 8:49 am

It's not 'nuclear' material though is it? It's dredgings taken from the estuary around Hinckley point, which has been tested.

Isn't Cardiff grounds a well establish dredging disposal point? I.e you put dredged material on established sandbanks so as to keep navigation channels clear? So dredged material from over the border has been disposed of here for years

jonbvn

PostWed Sep 05, 2018 8:53 pm

daearegwr wrote:It's not 'nuclear' material though is it? It's dredgings taken from the estuary around Hinckley point, which has been tested.

Isn't Cardiff grounds a well establish dredging disposal point? I.e you put dredged material on established sandbanks so as to keep navigation channels clear? So dredged material from over the border has been disposed of here for years

Exactly. The press make it sound like they are dumping spent fuel rods.

MattW

PostThu Sep 06, 2018 11:03 am

Neil McEvoy's been having a field day over this posing with a bloke in a radiation suit outside the Welsh Government.

Anything to whip up a bit of a frenzy lol

RandomComment

PostThu Sep 06, 2018 12:53 pm

MattW wrote:Neil McEvoy's been having a field day over this posing with a bloke in a radiation suit outside the Welsh Government.

That man is so self-serving: the Boris Johnson of Welsh politics. I can't decide if hes thick (and his self-service is driven to some extent by genuine conviction in what he's saying) or smart (he's very self aware and knows how to push the buttons of at least a subset of the electorate).

Mr Blue Sky

PostThu Sep 06, 2018 5:25 pm

RandomComment wrote:
MattW wrote:Neil McEvoy's been having a field day over this posing with a bloke in a radiation suit outside the Welsh Government.

That man is so self-serving: the Boris Johnson of Welsh politics. I can't decide if hes thick (and his self-service is driven to some extent by genuine conviction in what he's saying) or smart (he's very self aware and knows how to push the buttons of at least a subset of the electorate).

I know him very well and it is the person behind him, Matthew Ford, who is setting the agenda. Both of them are opportunists in my opinion, whose main motivations are power and money.

As for the Hinckley mud, I've been doing some research and this link shows how polluted the beaches near Sellafield are.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc ... cfhmd5b-P6

Given that Sellafield is an older, larger complex that has been operating longer than Hinckley, and performing extra roles, it seems that there will be far fewer than 600 radioactive particles on the mud near Hinckley. Furthermore, only a fraction of the mud/beach is being removed and redistributed. The tides will wash the mud away from Cardiff Grounds so the chances of a hot particle being blown by the wind (which is usually a westerly anyway) towards Wales must be infinitessimal. The chances of anyone ingesting such a particle must therefore be so remote as to be virtually non existent.

McEvoy's modus operandi is to make a big fuss about a small issue and to play the valiant outsider trying to save the Alamo. In reality he's a somewhat thuggish bully with narcissistic personality disorder.

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum